IGNORED

Managing the collection(s)

obnoxious

• 1 month later...

Evernote seems pretty useful as it has checkboxes you can insert and check on or off. I started using it for music collecting recently to find out which albums I don't even have digitally yet by artists I like at least 1 song by. I try to re-check every artist every so often to see if they have anything new since I last looked.

For games I still want to buy I just make short checklists of what I don't have but want rather than entering the whole library. If it's not on the list when I'm in the store I typically ignore it unless I see something that looks cool that I'm positive I don't own. Like I don't make checklists for joysticks, controllers, etc. but I easily know I don't have any gold N64 controllers yet for example.

I should do an actual inventory of what I have though. It's just hard because after I moved I kept a lot of stuff in storage. If it's not a priority right now I don't need it here. I just recently picked up all my Atari 5200 games and brought them home because I didn't keep any that I didn't like and I just got my custom joystick from the RetroGameBoyz website. It's digital only rather than analog so it supposedly won't work properly with a few games. I will have to test to find out which ones will still require the original joystick. I think Edladdin's WIP joystick for 5200 is supposed to be analog so I will probably get that too when it is finally released.

• 5 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

How reliable is pricecharting.com's prices? I'm wondering if I'd be better off going through my spreadsheet and updating the prices manually... But that just sounds like a real chore. 

Hit or miss for me, some games I’ve looked up have sales in the past month or so which seems normal and other common games haven’t updated in months. Something eBay changed with their APIs kind of messed them up for awhile but it seems to be getting better. 

Nothing beats just going to eBay, filtering sold, and taking the average of the last 3-5 sales though. Also a lot of best offers going on these days which neither PC/GVN/eBay gives you to my knowledge 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

Oh man I am terribly indecisive about this.

RetroCollect: It's an app that has a website I've never used.  I like it, but you do have to pay for it.  You can buy a system or bundle.  It never did everything I wanted it to do, and it had some bugs at one point.  I think they have the bugs worked out.  I still use it, albeit sporadically.

Gameye: It's a free app.  Adding games was super easy.  I think it uses PriceCharting for its prices.  Something turned me off from it, but I can't remember what.  Probably just some feature I wanted or didn't like. 

GameValueNow: It's a website.  It kept crashing or wasn't available, and I don't think it has been updated for a while.  I loved the interface though.  I quit using it because of its lack of availability.

PriceCharting: I guess this is one of the most popular.  Has some nice features, some features you have to pay for.  As others have said the prices can be off, but this is what I am currently using in tandem with

The old fashioned spreadsheet:  Yup.  It's a spreadsheet.

• 4 months later...

I use an excel spreadsheet and I just continually update it. Games from each system have their own tab. Then there's one tab that shows all the totals (#, "value") for the different systems and the #'s of systems themselves. 

Excel Sheet Collection Tracker Example.png

On 2/22/2022 at 11:42 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

How reliable is pricecharting.com's prices? I'm wondering if I'd be better off going through my spreadsheet and updating the prices manually... But that just sounds like a real chore. 

Not sure how reliable the information is, but I always found it a bit lower than e-bay and definitely lower if you include shipping. So I use it as a low-side just to get an understanding of the realm of "value" I'm dealing with. 

Edited by AirVillain