IGNORED

Homebrew Game Club Podcast

dvertov

Hey just wanted you guys to know I do listen to these podcasts and enjoy the in depth discussions and humor. Usually while doing household chores. 

For example I liked in the NEScape episode when you mentioned that it is an especially entertaining game to play with a bunch of people watching who could come up with ideas that the player would not be able to on their own.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all -- after some delays, our Space Raft episode should be on the way later this week. In the meantime, check out this interview we did with Hair of the Dogcast at the 2022 Midwest Gaming Classic! This was a fun, short talk about homebrews, podcasting, and our first time at MGCYou can get the audio version here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the banter - it's refreshing to have that UK voice in there. Personally I only watch UK comedy these days, as I find so much North American comedy is about saying something stupid then laughing as loud as possible about it. Rather than actual joke writing or banter like you get with UK stuff. 

Then again, I'm a Canadian git who lives with a Brit, so I am biased.

As someone who doesn't play a lot of homebrew, I do find the comparisons to other games helpful. That way I can sort of roughly imagine what the game is like, especially when I've never heard of it and have never seen any screenshots or gameplay footage. I wonder if it would be helpful to include a comparison point in the title of each episode? Instead of just the title of the game by itself. That way there's more of a hook to learn more about what the game is about. Like if you said "Alfonzo's Arctic Adventure: Like Nobunaga's Ambition but with Waifus!" or something more accurate but gives me more reason to listen. (Besides your sultry radio voices, that is.)

Also, where do I get my HBGC pint glass?

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

22 hours ago, tigerwolf said:

I appreciate the banter - it's refreshing to have that UK voice in there.

Thank you! Conor would probably want me to specify that he is Irish, but he has been based out of the UK since July.

I wonder if it would be helpful to include a comparison point in the title of each episode? Instead of just the title of the game by itself. That way there's more of a hook to learn more about what the game is about. Like if you said "Alfonzo's Arctic Adventure: Like Nobunaga's Ambition but with Waifus!" or something more accurate but gives me more reason to listen.

Just for you, I will try to come up with a comparison to a different Koei game for each episode! In all seriousness, of the three of us I'm the only one with long-term experience in the homebrew scene, so we actually talk about comparisons with other games quite a lot because that's how my co-hosts tend to approach these titles. With that said, I try to avoid pushing this aspect too hard when promoting episodes... I think a lot of developers work hard to make sure their games can stand on their own merits, and I feel like it detracts from that work to only showcase it in light of other, more popular games.

Also, where do I get my HBGC pint glass?

Why, you can get one of those beauties right here! They are quite sturdy and the print is surprisingly good quality. I recommend hand wash only: https://www.zazzle.com/store/homebrewgameclub

• Haha 1

Just a quick heads up to anyone who hasn't seen it yet -- our podcast is one year old as of November 1st, so to celebrate we're giving away two of our snazzy HBGC logo pint glasses on social media!

The first giveaway is on Twitter. Check out this post for more info.

Our second giveaway is only for fans who follow us on Discord. We have great discussions going for every game we cover, so jump on the server with this invite and follow along! Contest info is in the announcements channel.

Make sure to get your entries in by noon EST on Friday, November 4th. Good luck and thanks for listening!

pint glass giveaway pic smaller.jpg

• Love 1

• 2 months later...

Hey! I'm bad at updating this thing! Anyway, here's an episode where we played all 67 NES demos between the 2022 NESDev competition and the NESMaker Byte-Off III game jam. Lots of interesting and creative ideas out there, and it will be fun to see where some of these projects go. 

And here's our most recent numbered episode, where we cover L'Abbaye des Morts, a Gothic tribute to ZX Spectrum platformers that's been ported to just about every imaginable retro console. We cover the original PC game, as well as four of the ports: Spectrum, NES, Mega Drive, and Commodore 64. (The Amiga port was intended to be console #5, but as my co-host reports after many lost hours to that emulator, "Amiga sucks.")

New episode! This was recorded in mid-January and was supposed to go live several weeks ago, but circumstances led me to push off finishing the edit until this week. It's a bit less organized than what we usually publish but it's a good time regardless.

Conor seizes control of the host mic to send the Game Club on a long, rambling, lightly edited conversation about several titles we played in 2022 that deserve more attention. Old games, new games, indie games, mobile games, AAA games – everything is up for discussion. (We even throw some homebrew games in there.) Other topics include game preservation, preorders, a debate about Patreon, online gaming with kids, and... lots of other stuff we'd usually cut.

Grab your tweeter and channel your inner pirate radio broadcaster as the gang covers What Remains, a walkie-talkie adventure game for the NES. Conor digs the 1980s vibes, Bart gets duped by a false ending, and Nick brings back the beeps... or, at least, one big one.

The Game Club takes on The Cursed Knight, a well-made Mega Drive game that really wants to give you a wedgie and stuff you into a locker. Bart defends his Nintendo bias, Nick rages about passwords, and Conor tries to stay positive. Bonus topic: What's your favorite food item in a video game?

• Love 1

Now live on the feed: We interview NES developer and podcaster Kevin Hanley about his many games for the console, his advice for new indie retro creators, and why he thinks we're in a "golden age" for NES homebrew. Check it out at the link below!

We covered Kevin’s escape room game NEScape! way back on Episode 4. Check out that entry here

Edited by dvertov
  • Love 1

Now live on the feed: The Game Club takes on The Machine, a dystopian sci-fi dark comedy for the Game Boy Color with surprising depth. Conor theorizes on how to keep hippies from turning into cannibals, Bart clarifies that we’re not watching a completely unrelated movie, and Nick embraces ethically compromised decision making.

Just updating this post with our latest episodes! Find each of them on your favorite podcast app of choice, or click the titles below for direct links:

HBGC Interview: Ben Jelter

Game Boy developer Ben Jelter joins the gang for a wide-ranging discussion on… Lots of things. Things like: Game design, GB Studio, his favorite homebrews, how to stay productive as a creative professional, hacker movies, the illusion of choice, Just World Theory, and what retro console he’s interested in developing for next (you won’t guess what it is). Oh, and we also talk about his excellent game The Machine, covered in depth on Episode 13 of our podcast. It’s a good time!

With Twitter's Decline, What's Next for Indie Game Developers?

Twitter, now rebranded "X," has been an important avenue for homebrewers and other indie game developers to connect with each other and promote their work. Tech industry veterans Conor and Nick discuss the decline of the app under Elon Musk, the rise of alternative platforms, and what it might all mean for the homebrew community.

Episode 14: Anguna

The Game Club takes on three iterations of Nathan Tolbert's Zelda-inspired Anguna series on the Game Boy Advance, Atari 2600, and Nintendo Entertainment System. Conor attempts to define the "walkie-pokey" genre, Nick has a question about where those arrows are coming from, and Bart shares a wholesome story about George Clooney and a litter box.

Episode 15: Doodle World and Kubo 3

The Game Club takes on Doodle World and Kubo 3, two NESmaker games created with contributions from children. But are we the right audience for this type of game? We invite some guest experts on the show to discuss.