IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - KLAX

BeaIank

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I just find it amusing that we're basically trying to play as shit as possible on the first level, then be an absolute ringer on the second...although in @0xDEAFC0DE's case, even that isn't necessary 😛  Not even sure HOW one would RNG this shit to the degree ya took this to.  I assume it's something to do with filling the board and comboing it clear, but that would require things to fall pretty much exactly the way you want them to.  Gotta tip my hat to ya.

Hey, maybe next year we do action puzzlers instead of RNG based ones...give the rest of us a chance 😛

Lol, my first level score is like that because my setup gives me one diagonal klax. 

But yeah, you are pretty much right about the combo. And uhhh... about "requiring things to fall pretty much exactly the way you want them to." It's almost like I know a way of getting a specific string of pieces... As a hint for the combo this video was posted last time klax was played, so I'll post it again. 

Also, I may as well point out I also got first in several action puzzlers as well (wrecking crew and puzznic are the two I remember). 

19 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

So you're saying there's a chance? 😂

Well, if someone else finds the RNG setup, then sure. A by "the RNG setup" I only found one that is doable with the level 1 drop meter on. So, congrats if you are able to find it. 

56 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Lol, my first level score is like that because my setup gives me one diagonal klax. 

But yeah, you are pretty much right about the combo. And uhhh... about "requiring things to fall pretty much exactly the way you want them to." It's almost like I know a way of getting a specific string of pieces... As a hint for the combo this video was posted last time klax was played, so I'll post it again. 

Also, I may as well point out I also got first in several action puzzlers as well (wrecking crew and puzznic are the two I remember). 

Well, if someone else finds the RNG setup, then sure. A by "the RNG setup" I only found one that is doable with the level 1 drop meter on. So, congrats if you are able to find it. 

I don't know how to read code so I'm probably stuck with my score.

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I will say, I think the 1.1 million combo (3 columns of the same color) is doable without digging into the code. It will take some luck, but opportunities should come up often enough. 

That may be the one I pulled off back during the 2015 contest, but I'm pretty sure I did it on the first stage.

6 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The first level is easy enough...just make three stacks while completely filling as much of the board as possible to minimize bonus points.  So basically make a bunch of randomness and do two vertical stacks whenever possible so you can get the last one with as full a board as possible.  I will say though, that's probably more tedious than just knocking out a diagonal line 😛

One thing that video shows is tossing bricks back onto the field...didn't know that was even a thing.  Definitely makes the combo a LOT more doable.  Still more work than I wanna put into the game though.

And by action-puzzle I was thinking games like Kickle Cubicle or Lolo or something.  I'm sure you'd still have the edge, but at least that kind of game gives others a chance...these pure reflex games are just too easy for ya 😛

This game started off really well telling me "its the nineties." Put me in a real happy place. Five minutes later, I decided to take the week off. Im sure theres fun to be had here, but Im not interested in figuring out how to have it.

I never played guitar hero, but the setup looks like that to me. Too bad tengen isnt around anymore to sue. Could have grabbed some of that guitar hero cash

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

This game started off really well telling me "its the nineties." Put me in a real happy place. Five minutes later, I decided to take the week off. Im sure theres fun to be had here, but Im not interested in figuring out how to have it.

I never played guitar hero, but the setup looks like that to me. Too bad tengen isnt around anymore to sue. Could have grabbed some of that guitar hero cash

I may play some Turtles in Time later. I'm using this week to go on a SNES beat em up and fighting game binge. 

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The first level is easy enough...just make three stacks while completely filling as much of the board as possible to minimize bonus points.  So basically make a bunch of randomness and do two vertical stacks whenever possible so you can get the last one with as full a board as possible.  I will say though, that's probably more tedious than just knocking out a diagonal line 😛

One thing that video shows is tossing bricks back onto the field...didn't know that was even a thing.  Definitely makes the combo a LOT more doable.  Still more work than I wanna put into the game though.

And by action-puzzle I was thinking games like Kickle Cubicle or Lolo or something.  I'm sure you'd still have the edge, but at least that kind of game gives others a chance...these pure reflex games are just too easy for ya 😛

It's not necessary to minimize your points on the first level as it won't change the difficulty of the second level. It's just that my setup requires delaying a certain number of pieces, so I have to fill up a lot of the board.

For the tossing back on the field thing that reminded me of this gem from @mbd39

image.png.db56b46f06ca64d8c253b723daaf05fe.png

It definitely seems like it should make the game easier, but it's hard to juggle too many at a time. It's mostly useful for getting the last couple squares on the paddle in the right order. Which is necessary for getting a good combo.

The problem with Lolo is there is no obvious scoring system. Meanwhile, Kickle Cubicle would still be reflex based due to the bulk of the score coming from the time left.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The problem with Lolo is there is no obvious scoring system. Meanwhile, Kickle Cubicle would still be reflex based due to the bulk of the score coming from the time left.

I think Kickle would still be fun as hell to play though.  Although it could fit as a puzzle game OR as an action one, as either make sense for it.  Either way, maybe @BeaIank can put it on the short list for next year...

59 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

There's always second place. MDB has a pretty respectable ~200k. 

You know, you're going to get 44 of a possible 44 points in this genre... which I would say is pretty impressive, unless you do this every year, which I wouldn't be aware of since this is my first year competing.

It's also interesting to note that you claimed 43 of a possible 44 points in sports.  So the moral of this story is: if either puzzle games or sports games show up in the tournament, the rest of us are fucked.  However, if no sports and no puzzle games show up in the tournament, it is you who is entirely fucked... 😉 

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You know, you're going to get 44 of a possible 44 points in this genre... which I would say is pretty impressive, unless you do this every year, which I wouldn't be aware of since this is my first year competing.

It's also interesting to note that you claimed 43 of a possible 44 points in sports.  So the moral of this story is: if either puzzle games or sports games show up in the tournament, the rest of us are fucked.  However, if no sports and no puzzle games show up in the tournament, it is you who is entirely fucked... 😉 

Last year was my first year. I won sports and puzzle genres that year as well, but there were a couple I got beat at (I think it was Tetris and a second place in Q*bert for the puzzle genre). Although, somehow I managed to get first in Gyruss (a shooter of all things) in the tournament.

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I was rootin' for ya man, until deafcode came right out of left field with that crazy score and blindsided us all...

Shocking, shocking turn of events...

I did finish second in the 2015 contest, but puzzle games are my least favorite genre. I typically just post a participation score during puzzle weeks and take the rest of the time off unless it happens to be one of the few games that I actually like playing.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 10/31/2021 at 7:08 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I wonder who will win the puzzle genre..... hmmmmmm.....

SCORE EDIT - This score may not end up winning, but it's pretty damn impressive, if you ask me, 12,925 - 5,350 = 7,575   🥴

I am legitimately impressed that you somehow got a lower score than me. I was fairly certain that I had last place locked up this week.

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, NESfiend said:

Solid plan. Include Knights of the Round. Tops my list for snes beat em ups without question

Gave it a playthrough yesterday. Great game. Any other suggestions? I still want to knock off Super Double Dragon along with Final Fight 2 and 3 sometime this week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Gave it a playthrough yesterday. Great game. Any other suggestions? I still want to knock off Super Double Dragon along with Final Fight 2 and 3 sometime this week.

I dont know snes library nearly as well as nes and you already have final fight series covered. I havent played enough of it, but I picked up brawl brothers a while back and it seemed pretty good. A final fight fan should enjoy it

Another one I haven't played enough, or maybe even at all, is batman returns. The nes version is super underrated in my book. SNES one looks good too, but I dont think I own it. May need to fix that

40 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I dont know snes library nearly as well as nes and you already have final fight series covered. I havent played enough of it, but I picked up brawl brothers a while back and it seemed pretty good. A final fight fan should enjoy it

Another one I haven't played enough, or maybe even at all, is batman returns. The nes version is super underrated in my book. SNES one looks good too, but I dont think I own it. May need to fix that

I won the Batman Returns weekly contests in 2013 and 2015, but somehow I've never played the SNES version as far as I can remember. I went away from the plan and played Sunset Riders today. It's just an awesome game.