IGNORED

Storing Graded Games

Hi all. I am looking for any advice on how to store graded games. I don't currently have the room to display more than a few in my game room. I have an Atlantic Media Shelf that is full of my CIB stuff and have a few of my graded games on the top of it that I rotate through every so often. 

I was planing on storing the rest of them in boxes in my closet for the time being until we move. Has anyone found any properly sizes cardboard boxes or plastic containers that hold graded games well? I was hoping to find a box similar to file boxes that have a lid & handles but can't seem to find something that would be a good fit. 

I tried searching here as I thought I saw a similar topic at some point but couldn't find it anywhere. 

Not sure about graded games but I’m moving in the spring and have been eyeing the HDX 27 gallon totes that I think @DoctorEncorementioned to me. They are a little bit more money wise than usual totes but can support 900 pounds on top so they must be pretty sturdy. I think some bubble wrap and shipping plastic will be in order too. HDX is Home Depot’s brand. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Not sure about graded games but I’m moving in the spring and have been eyeing the HDX 27 gallon totes that I think @DoctorEncorementioned to me. They are a little bit more money wise than usual totes but can support 900 pounds on top so they must be pretty sturdy. I think some bubble wrap and shipping plastic will be in order too. HDX is Home Depot’s brand. 

Lol. I used those when I moved last year for all of my collection. I bought a bunch when they were on sale for $7.98 a piece during Black Friday. 

I've got those for whenever I move again. But was looking for something a bit smaller that would fit 1 or 2 rows of graded games so they are easier to move/stack in a smaller closet. 

EDIT: Just saw the 7gal version of those. That might be an option. Would have to put Rectangular games on their side and I think they'd fit.

Edited by epiczail

31 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Those HDX boxes are definitely good, although if you're looking for higher quality boxes that hold less, I'd recommend Really Useful Boxes. They have lots of different depths with interchangeable lids. They are very stackable and all the weight rests on the edges rather than the center of lid. Also, the bottoms of the boxes are generally pretty flat. Their dimensions are very clearly listed, so you just have to decide how many games per box and in what orientation you want to lay them. I can dig up my old receipts if you need to know what I used for NES CIB games in regular thin plastic protectors. I also used deeper boxes for piles of Amiibo and my games in thick acrylic CGA cases.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Compliments of Collector Archive Services:

Most damage and deterioration from sunlight, fluctuating temperatures and humidity occurs when an item is left unattended in an extraordinarily harsh environment. Inspection and early detection is the key to preserving your cherished collectibles and retaining their maximum value. Here are a few preservation tips:

Sunlight: While Collector Archive Services uses some of the finest ultraviolet-resistant acrylic on the market, we strongly recommend keeping your collectibles away from direct sunlight. Any collector should always be conscious of his or her display environment.

Temperature: High temperatures may increase the probability of mildew, frosting, warping or shrinking cellophane, and yellowing of blisters or tape. Fluctuating temperatures contribute to the deterioration of plastic, cardboard and other packaging materials. All collectibles should be kept inside an environment with temperature between 59 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Humidity: Prolonged exposure to high humidity can lead to severe swelling and deterioration of paper products; growth of mold and mildew; yellowing of blisters, cellophane, and tape; and discoloration of plastic and vinyl parts. All collectibles should be kept in a climate-controlled environment that is relatively dry and devoid of moisture. In climates where this is difficult, Collector Archive Services strongly recommends the purchase and use of a dehumidifier.

Circulation: Circulation and airflow is very important to your collectibles, particularly if they are being moved from one climate to another. Collector Archive Services leaves one thin open seam along the bottom of every archived acrylic case so your item can breathe. To make sure this is being achieved as desired, be sure to inspect those items not on display several times a year by removing the 6-mil protective polybag, which creates an airtight seal.

As for my added advice:

And when it comes to maintaining acrylic... Try to avoid using anything that can scratch the acrylic. I recommend that if you are not using the polybags that you wrap the interior of the boxes with material that is similar to a Swiffer sweeper. And that you look into sturdy plastic containers that are not transparent.

I have doing the combination of the two in any shape or form has decreased my anxiety over time! And that if you buy any that are big enough, filling the extra gaps with protective bubble or foam type wrap.