IGNORED

how to make your own ROMs of cd based games?

final fight cd

i have a mega sd.  if wanted to make my own roms to place on it, how would i go about doing that?   I have some homebrews i want to try, but don't feel like hooking up the actual sega cd.  i downloaded imgburn and tried that method.  the disc i used said it was unauthorized or something like that and wouldn't copy it.  am i doing it all wrong or did the person who made the disc put that stipulation on it? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's possible, as the Sega CD had a bit of additional hardware onboard to properly interpret/decode/whatever the information that was on the discs.  There's a couple of high end flash cart options which include FPGA code to duplicate the CD hardware enough to get ISO images to work without the real CD hardware, but I don't believe it's possible to do any sort of conversion, manipulation, etc., to get the CD games to play on a system that doesn't have some sort of CD hardware connected to it (real deal via the side port or FPGA emulation of that hardware via the cart slot).

You want to dump them in the cue/bin format.  The bin is a direct binary representation of what is on the disc and, cue/bin, is one of the formats the MegaSD can read.  Imgburn is kind of limited.  Try UltraIso or DiscJuggler.  cdrtfe and K3b are also some good free opensource burners and rippers that probably don't care about copy protection.

Edited by CMR

14 hours ago, CMR said:

You want to dump them in the cue/bin format.  The bin is a direct binary representation of what is on the disc and, cue/bin, is one of the formats the MegaSD can read.  Imgburn is kind of limited.  Try UltraIso or DiscJuggler.  cdrtfe and K3b are also some good free opensource burners and rippers that probably don't care about copy protection.

Please forgive my confused statement above, for whatever reason I didn't realize that the Mega SD was one of the carts which had CD capability in them--it legitimately didn't come up when I went searching for the names of the two carts that will do it, so my brain logged it as a standard flash cart.

The above answer (quoted for reference) is correct, although, according to the documentation for the Mega SD that I just reviewed, it claims to be able to accept/interpret .ISO image files as well, so if you should use a tool that creates those (or have some gifted to you that are in that format), they should still be usable.  The link to the manual is below, and the details about file formats accepted is in the bottom right, just beside the chart provided in that section.

https://downloads.terraonion.com/public/MegaSD_user_manual.pdf

It's cool.  I wasn't sure about ISO since some flash devices have trouble with them.  Terraonion may be more expensive, typically, but they're the best when it comes to compatibility.  I tend to stick with redump sets for my stuff.  That's why I'm kind of partial to cue/bin.

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Please forgive my confused statement above, for whatever reason I didn't realize that the Mega SD was one of the carts which had CD capability in them--it legitimately didn't come up when I went searching for the names of the two carts that will do it, so my brain logged it as a standard flash cart.

The above answer (quoted for reference) is correct, although, according to the documentation for the Mega SD that I just reviewed, it claims to be able to accept/interpret .ISO image files as well, so if you should use a tool that creates those (or have some gifted to you that are in that format), they should still be usable.  The link to the manual is below, and the details about file formats accepted is in the bottom right, just beside the chart provided in that section.

https://downloads.terraonion.com/public/MegaSD_user_manual.pdf

1 hour ago, CMR said:

It's cool.  I wasn't sure about ISO since some flash devices have trouble with them.  Terraonion may be more expensive, typically, but they're the best when it comes to compatibility.  I tend to stick with redump sets for my stuff.  That's why I'm kind of partial to cue/bin.

Well, cue/bin does have the advantage of having a second file on-hand to specifically state where all the data is supposed to go, whereas with ISO you just have to kind of assume that it's right.  I've not really had any issues with either, but I can understand the preference for one over the other.  The only bad thing about cue/bin is the fact that in the past (and potentially currently as well), it seemed like it was always harder to find software that recognized or could work with them properly, whereas virtually everything knew what to do with an ISO.

• 2 months later...