IGNORED

Open Chiller Cartridge

Yeah, there's definitely one under the label.  That's why so many have punched holes in the back label.  If you're just cleaning the cart, there's really no need to open the case.  The connector is the only thing that cleaning is really necessary for...the rest is overkill for the OCD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, there's definitely one under the label.  That's why so many have punched holes in the back label.  If you're just cleaning the cart, there's really no need to open the case.  The connector is the only thing that cleaning is really necessary for...the rest is overkill for the OCD.

Hey, mister, I resemble that remark! Thanks again for the confirmation. I really just wanted to give the pins a good cleaning, and it's just easier for me when I take the PCB out. Anyways, so much for that. Not going to ruin the label!

3 minutes ago, Dad Racer said:

Hey, mister, I resemble that remark! Thanks again for the confirmation. I really just wanted to give the pins a good cleaning, and it's just easier for me when I take the PCB out. Anyways, so much for that. Not going to ruin the label!

I understand that.  I'm just saying it doesn't hurt the inside of the cart to have a bit of dust in it.  Honestly, I've only encountered a handful of carts in 25 years of collecting that didn't look pretty damn good on the inside. 

• Agree 1

After a thorough cleaning, I am encountering some issues. Here are some examples on the first two screens of the glitches. Then while playing the game, on the third board, the game completely freezes. I would prefer not to damage the label and try reflowing the solder, plus I'm not too keen on doing that for a pricey game anyways. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

IMG_8944.JPG

IMG_8945.JPG

The AGCI version has Sharedata on the title screen. Both Pat Contri and James Rolfe (in a non AVGN video) did shows about the game. Both had that title screen, and both showed off the AGCI gray cart.

It's unlikely either of those guys had the Sharedata version and didn't mention it.

To elaborate on that a bit, I have a small YT channel, and I wanted to showcase the game as part of Halloween month, so I purchased a copy at what I felt was a fair price. Just a little bummed that I haven't been able to resolve the glitched portions even after several pin-cleanings. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Okay now this is VERY interesting.

You have some archivist / collector material right there now and maybe the end of our argument!

Hey @Dr. Morbis guess you were right 😛

Any chance you can change your video to being one booting up this game with everything in full view?

Ive never seen a Sharedata chiller inside an AGCI cartridge. Then again, how many people are actually going to boot up their chiller cartridges and document the title screen!? You’ve just opened a world of possibility…

Ahem...

48 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The AGCI version has Sharedata on the title screen. Both Pat Contri and James Rolfe (in a non AVGN video) did shows about the game. Both had that title screen, and both showed off the AGCI gray cart.

It's unlikely either of those guys had the Sharedata version and didn't mention it.

😉

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Hard to say. It's a notoriously glitchy game to begin with. What did you clean with? Alcohol? 

I would suggest something a little stronger, like Weiman stovetop cleaner or Deoxit, but I would want to do that after getting the PCB out first. 

I tried a touch of brasso, then back to alcohol again and the pins look really nice from what I can tell. I'd rather not ruin the back label to take out the board, so I think I'm in a tough spot. 

4 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Okay now this is VERY interesting.

You have some archivist / collector material right there now and maybe the end of our argument!

Hey @Dr. Morbis guess you were right 😛

Any chance you can change your video to being one booting up this game with everything in full view?

Ive never seen a Sharedata chiller inside an AGCI cartridge. Then again, how many people are actually going to boot up their chiller cartridges and document the title screen!? You’ve just opened a world of possibility…

I don't think it's that rare. Here's another example after a quick youtube search of the game. I'm assuming the game on display is the one she's holding!

4 minutes ago, Dad Racer said:

I tried a touch of brasso, then back to alcohol again and the pins look really nice from what I can tell. I'd rather not ruin the back label to take out the board, so I think I'm in a tough spot.

Only thing I can think of is to remove the two exposed screws, gently open the cart as far as you can, slide the PCB out, go to town cleaning it and whatever else you need to do to it, and put it back in the same way.

Otherwise, use the glitched cart as a prop and throw the ROM on a flashcart to get gameplay footage.

12 minutes ago, Dad Racer said:

I don't think it's that rare. Here's another example after a quick youtube search of the game. I'm assuming the game on display is the one she's holding!

This may be the same copy as the AVGN one. That's Erin, girlfriend of Mike Mattei, who helped James of AVGN on most of his videos for many years, including when the Chiller video was made. The copy AVGN used might have been Mike's.

4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Only thing I can think of is to remove the two exposed screws, gently open the cart as far as you can, slide the PCB out, go to town cleaning it and whatever else you need to do to it, and put it back in the same way.

Otherwise, use the glitched cart as a prop and throw the ROM on a flashcart to get gameplay footage.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if I want to risk it, but I'll give it a ponder. 

If you ever use Brasso on pins, be extremely sure that all of it gets removed with multiple alcohol cleanings. Like at least 5 additional alcohol cleanings.

The Brasso will appear to be all gone, but there’s always a little bit more on there. You might also want to try using the cotton swab dry a few times because sometimes the wetted cotton swabs won’t pick up that last little bit of Brasso.

Edited by phart010
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1