IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Galaga

BeaIank

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

300k is my personal best and I been playing this port for years. It’s kinda like my relationship with defender 2 I’m just not any good at it. I got 100k tonight.

I could get over a million on the Namco Museum version, but I don't think I've gotten much over 350k on this one.

45 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I could get over a million on the Namco Museum version, but I don't think I've gotten much over 350k on this one.

I dunno if you take advantage of it, but arcade has the exploit where if you don't shoot for a certain amount of time then enemies will stop shooting.

Man I love Galaga. Both this port and the arcade game are loads of fun. It is kind of a marathon though when playing for high scores.

I may have played this game casually for years without ever having a ship captured.  I just found out a couple of months ago.  I thought I had this whole ship gets captured / ship gets rescued thing figured out.  Just shoot the enemy holding the ship, but don't shoot your ship.  So I shoot the enemy and the next thing I know my ship is bright red and fluttering down so I try to collect it and it kills me.  Why did it turn into a bad red ship?  Did it take me too long to release it or what?  

seriously asking.

12 minutes ago, PII said:

I may have played this game casually for years without ever having a ship captured.  I just found out a couple of months ago.  I thought I had this whole ship gets captured / ship gets rescued thing figured out.  Just shoot the enemy holding the ship, but don't shoot your ship.  So I shoot the enemy and the next thing I know my ship is bright red and fluttering down so I try to collect it and it kills me.  Why did it turn into a bad red ship?  Did it take me too long to release it or what?  

seriously asking.

Did you kill the boss Galaga while it was swooping with your ship, or did you pick it off when it was in static formation?

It needs to be swooping for a rescue. It'll change back to white, spin around, the music goes crazy, then it'll straighten out and dock with your current ship.

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Did you kill the boss Galaga while it was swooping with your ship, or did you pick it off when it was in static formation?

It needs to be swooping for a rescue. It'll change back to white, spin around, the music goes crazy, then it'll straighten out and dock with your current ship.

I've successfully rescued it in both of those situations, I believe.  In this instance it was in static formation...

6 minutes ago, PII said:

I've successfully rescued it in both of those situations, I believe.  In this instance it was in static formation...

It usually only triggers the rescue sequence if the boss Galaga is moving when shot.

If it's still red when coming at you, dodge it, as it's still an enemy ship. It'll reappear in the next wave attached to a new boss, and you can try again.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I definitely am now. I doubt my score is good enough to win but there's probably no chance I'm going to be able to top that this week. 

How long did that 400k+ game take? I really like galaga as a quick pick up and play, especially at a bar/arcade machine, but I dont know how much Id like to marathon it on my NES.

Also, if you dont mind share bearing, is there a point where you stop using the double ship? Seems like when you get into teen levels, it gets unmanageable 

22 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

How long did that 400k+ game take? I really like galaga as a quick pick up and play, especially at a bar/arcade machine, but I dont know how much Id like to marathon it on my NES.

Also, if you dont mind share bearing, is there a point where you stop using the double ship? Seems like when you get into teen levels, it gets unmanageable 

I'd say it took a bit over an hour, so anything longer would start to really drag on. I try to keep the double ship as long as possible, but it is a bit easier to maneuver the single ship when things really speed up.