IGNORED

Business promotion without coming across as a creep?

fcgamer

My friend and I started an online business this past year, around March. Things got screwed up a bit because of covid-19 and it's subsequent raising of postage, and we've therefore just been doing it as a side gig, not really putting a lot of effort into it.

The other day though, we received a random order from a guy who was buying a gift for a film director, who recently had some films showcased at the Austin film festival.

Now this guy isn't a superstar, I guess, but on the other hand he is the most prominent guy I've ever sold anything to.

My question is as follows: I think this sale has potential to lead to good things for my buddy and I and our company, but I'm not sure how to reach out to the buyer and the film director, without coming across as a creep.

Thoughts?

Perhaps a hand written thank you card? A follow up email/message asking for feedback as a nice icebreaker? Worst case you get blown off and just enjoy the sale. Best case you can get a dialogue going to spread the word about your company. Outside of that, the topic is pretty vague, I don't even know if it's a product or a service or what it is.

If you want to grow your business, you have to be at least somewhat aggressive or assertive.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Agree with the hand written note, just saying thank you and hope you enjoy the purchase, or that you are welcome to feedback.  Personally I would not do much more than that.  You really risk coming across as cashing in one their name (to the purchaser) if you say, post that they purchased (unless you retweet their own post) or sending reminders to review.  Hopefully they spread word on their own terms such as to their friends or posting online.