IGNORED

Game Debate #72: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

• 2 years later...

I finally defeated him on Christmas day after 35+ years of trying.  

This game is a 10 out of 10.  There's just not that many games that rely so much on reflexes and the technology of the time like this one.  I think I would compare these games to something like Kaboom on the 2600.  Totally captivating and completely challenging even for an expert player.  It would be interesting to get a hack where you can play a Tyson with more randomized patterns on an endless loop - game would be good forever.

But what really pushes this to a 10 for me is the inclusion of Tyson.  I just can't think of another game that so perfectly coincided with the peak stardom of an elite celebrity.  There's no way this game would have reached the same level of popularity or had the same urgency for the player if it was Mr Dream.

Edited by wongojack
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:47 AM, JamesRobot said:

Only three plays?  At least now we know who Glass Joe's one win was against. 😅

d6veIJ6.png

You know how Rocky said in the sixth movie it's not about how hard you can hit but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward?  Well Glass Joe lost 99 out of 100 and here he is still moving forward and coming back!  I mean can you imagine any real boxer would actually continue fighting after 99 losses out of 100 and getting about the worst nickname possible for a boxer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1