IGNORED

Game Debate #72: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

Tyson or the other guy, best by far of the franchise.  SNES game was fine too, but a bit of a let down with the dumb changes they made to the structure which at least the Wii one resolved largely.

The game is fantastic, three rounds, set learnable not hard to remember patterns.  it's not cheap, but you need to learn the motions and timing, and other than Tyson, they're not hair margins.  Tyson alone is why I wouldn't give it a 10 instead of a 9 as it's just that damn good of an arcade boxing game, there is no better.  Good response, good variety, solid but not over complicated move set on either side of the ring.  A real stand out in the day given the special chip allowing for very big characters and with moveable detail on the big figures themselves which was kind of a new thing then, definitely for a console.  The quality there even now stands out among the other things that have ever since been released on the old system, even in these homebrewing days.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Tyson or the other guy, best by far of the franchise.  SNES game was fine too, but a bit of a let down with the dumb changes they made to the structure which at least the Wii one resolved largely.

The game is fantastic, three rounds, set learnable not hard to remember patterns.  it's not cheap, but you need to learn the motions and timing, and other than Tyson, they're not hair margins.  Tyson alone is why I wouldn't give it a 10 instead of a 9 as it's just that damn good of an arcade boxing game, there is no better.  Good response, good variety, solid but not over complicated move set on either side of the ring.  A real stand out in the day given the special chip allowing for very big characters and with moveable detail on the big figures themselves which was kind of a new thing then, definitely for a console.  The quality there even now stands out among the other things that have ever since been released on the old system, even in these homebrewing days.

This about covers it.

I don’t even like boxing games and love this game 

• Thanks 1

@Estil Legitimately most people will swear by the old Nintendo strategy of do nothing most of the first round because it's a 1 hit kill basically.  In that you grind him down some, but finish it in round 2 normally.  I had to wonder if it went faster, saw some line about killing him off in 20 sec, but it seems that may not be too too far off the mark.

You can TKO him in round one, and I found a clip and below it explains exactly what to do every single time Tyson makes a move and which to do it, how much, and which side.  Just watch, THEN read below.

• Wow! 1

20 hours ago, Estil said:

Is it even possible to KO Tyson (in the game; I know it happened in real life and resulted in the Genesis' "answer game")?  If so, what's the current record (no cheating!) for quickest KO?

KO, not TKO? Yes. Knock him down enough and you can eventually win on countout.

I have no idea who has done it the fastest, but it probably takes all three rounds. TKO can be done in one round.

Edited by Tulpa

Events Team · Posted
14 hours ago, RH said:

I'm sorry. I have given this game a try at least three times in my life.  Solid tries. I just can't get into it and it's not for me.

A 4 is the best I can give.

Only three plays?  At least now we know who Glass Joe's one win was against. 😅

d6veIJ6.png

• Haha 6
  • Agree 2

9/10. I can't beat it, but it's innovative and fun. I love old games that don't neatly fit into a common genre. Sure it's a boxing game or pattern recognition game, but there aren't 100 other NES games that are virtually interchangeable with it. The graphics are also crazy good for NES, with the most expressive characters on the system.

I also think part of the lasting appeal is the mix of muscle memory and reaction speed needed. As a kid I used to think MTPO was like Dragon's Lair where you learn a screen/opponent then just go on autopilot going through the correct motions, but after playing as an adult I realize the game is much deeper than that. Tiny bits of RNG mean you can't be completely on autopilot and learning when to obtain and use star punches gives lots of opportunity to improve your scrub strats on earlier stages.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

9/10 Objectively the best game on NES 😉

I really feel like it's a 10/10 game, but it's a very specific genre and I feel it leaves very little gray area for players who can't stand boxing or Mike Tyson or fun/excellence so I took a point off. If we had decimals I'd say it's a 9.9/10

It has aged like fine wine. MTPO's gameplay, graphics, music and sfx still hold up much better than that of almost every other game in the NES library

• Like 3