IGNORED

Final Fantasy 1st Edition Sealed (Japan 1st Edition)

• The title was changed to Final Fantasy 1st Edition Sealed (Japan 1st Edition)
3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You had to be that guy, lol. Thanks for sparing me the temptation of breaking the guys heart. 😄

I mean, where to start, honestly?

Even if not sealed, just new and unopened, well a couple hundred bucks MAX? Being generous, I mean, for the best POSSIBLE condition? 

Also, WATA don't grade Famicom, so that rules out the HA racket doesn't it?

So yeah. Maybe a hundred and a half bucks I think, for an "80-85" NIB Famicom Final Fantasy is generous?

What do you reckon?

9 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Even if not sealed, just new and unopened, well a couple hundred bucks MAX? Being generous, I mean, for the best POSSIBLE condition? 

So yeah. Maybe a hundred and a half bucks I think, for an "80-85" NIB Famicom Final Fantasy is generous?

What do you reckon?

I paid about 600元 for a new Dr Mario - the box was sunfaded, but it came directly from the shop so I know it was new.

Or there's that new Shadowgate I showed you pics of last weekend 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I paid about 600元 for a new Dr Mario - the box was sunfaded, but it came directly from the shop so I know it was new.

Or there's that new Shadowgate I showed you pics of last weekend 😉

Oh man, rip off! You can get nice condition Dr. Mario for like 200 dude! I can't say whether they've been open or not, but then NIB unsealed, who's to say who's been in there before??? 😲

• Haha 1

Unopened FF 1 does not come up much even on japanese sites. I'd expect it to go over $500 for a plausible copy from a seller with cred (sale prices of "unopened" copies vary a lot depending on how much of a good reputation the seller has, and how plausibly unopened the box looks...)

16 hours ago, OptOut said:

What do you reckon?

What does NIB mean? Thank You

7 hours ago, chenshihchun said:

fOx5gq.jpg

Wata Grade Details

*Seal: No Seal
*Unopened, Manufactured without Seal

Yeah that's Mario Party 2. WATA grade Japanese N64 games because they fit in the same cases as regular N64 games.

They don't grade Famicom games yet though, because they are various different sizes.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really understand how you can grade NIB accurately.

If the grader can't open the box to check the contents (because this would no longer make it NIB) then how do they know the submitter didn't just carefully open the box and put in the correct weight of rubbish in it?

Also fcgamer does raise a good point, although his example is pretty extreme. If you've been in the Japanese collecting scene for a while you will pickup a lot of "NIB" games. The outer box looks like garbage but the game inside has never been touched or played.

I can foresee a lot of crazy grades being applied to Famicom games if WATA and VGA go down that path.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really understand how you can grade NIB accurately.

If the grader can't open the box to check the contents (because this would no longer make it NIB) then how do they know the submitter didn't just carefully open the box and put in the correct weight of rubbish in it?

Also fcgamer does raise a good point, although his example is pretty extreme. If you've been in the Japanese collecting scene for a while you will pickup a lot of "NIB" games. The outer box looks like garbage but the game inside has never been touched or played.

I can foresee a lot of crazy grades being applied to Famicom games if WATA and VGA go down that path.

VGA and WATA claim to be able to reliably tell if the box has ever been opened by carefully examining the hinges where the box opens. Usually when you open a cardboard box, it'll cause wear patterns to appear on those hinges. If VGA grades a cardboard box game that was sold unsealed without a Q, it means they think it is unopened.

I'm not 100% sold that this is foolproof, honestly...I think if you open a box very carefully with a thin flat tool you can avoid or at least seriously minimize those wear patterns. But it's unlikely to be the case that someone would've done that with a 30 year old video game.

Japanese sellers/collectors do draw the same distinction, if you pay attention. If they list as "unused" they're not necessarily claiming the box is unopened, just that the contents are unused. If they list as "unopened" that's really a claim that the box has not been opened.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdamW said:

VGA and WATA claim to be able to reliably tell if the box has ever been opened by carefully examining the hinges where the box opens. Usually when you open a cardboard box, it'll cause wear patterns to appear on those hinges. If VGA grades a non-sealed cardboard box without a Q, it means they think it is unopened.

I'm not 100% sold that this is foolproof, honestly...I think if you open a box very carefully with a thin flat tool you can avoid or at least seriously minimize those wear patterns. But it's unlikely to be the case that someone would've done that with a 30 year old video game.

Japanese sellers/collectors do draw the same distinction, if you pay attention. If they list as "unused" they're not necessarily claiming the box is unopened, just that the contents are unused. If they list as "unopened" that's really a claim that the box has not been opened.

Thanks for the clarification.

I wouldn't personally trust that method, especially with the crap we've seen over the last few months from both companies giving grades that don't really match, but for some that will be good enough to have their stamp of approval.

I think we'll probably see some really messed up grading if Famicom games do start getting graded by these companies.

• Agree 1