IGNORED

Music Debate #122: Aerosmith

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

i guess i'd go with a 7/10. Aerosmith is a weird one, in that i like almost all of their big hits, but so much of their albums are filler. I download a lot of music, and can usually when i go through an artist's back catalog, i can find a number of songs i really like but i hadn't heard before/weren't hits. Aerosmith wasn't one of those bands. I listened through their albums, and outside of the singles, there's not much there. But they've gone through spurts in their career. Great stuff in the 70s, then fell off. A resurgence in the late 80s, but then not much afterward. And the Armageddon song, which was a humongous hit, but definitely not one i enjoy. 

Easy 8/10 for the 70s stuff. And they managed to remain popular and relevant through the 90s and early 00s so I give them credit for that, even though sometimes the music was terrible (I Don't Want To Miss a Thing).

Edited by mbd39

Debated between 9 and 10. Ultimately gave them a 10 because they were the biggest influence on me music wise in my life. They were the first band I ever fell in love with approx 30 years ago. I was obsessed with them for years. I love all of their stuff, old and new. I don't care if people think they're the generic radio rock that everyone is sick of hearing. They're still one of the biggest rock bands of all time. And I love Steven Tyler's voice. No one sings like him. I just love everything about this band. Easily a top 10 band for me. 

• Like 2

They were my first favorite band. Then I sold all their albums as I found my taste. Now I appreciate and have rebought them.

Some of the discography doesn’t do much for me sure. But their stuff that I like, including deep cuts, is really really fucking good. Solid 8.

• Like 2

I used to love them, and actually saw them in concert back in 2001, I think.

But sometime in the past 15 years I have kind of gotten over them and they don't really do it for me anymore.

Not sure how that fairly translates into a rating, since younger me would have given them a 9, probably. But nowadays I will change the station.

9 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I used to love them, and actually saw them in concert back in 2001, I think.

But sometime in the past 15 years I have kind of gotten over them and they don't really do it for me anymore.

Not sure how that fairly translates into a rating, since younger me would have given them a 9, probably. But nowadays I will change the station.

I think part of the turn off for me is that all of the aging 60s/70s artists still doing their thing, Steve Tyler feels the most immature. Eventually that's a turn off. Mic Jagger, Jimmy Page, Alice Cooper, Sting, David Bowie, Eddie Van Halen, heck even Dee Snyder to an extent, all seemed to have at least a slight maturing rennesance. I just don't see that much with Aerosmith, and to me, it's a turn off.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, RH said:

I think part of the turn off for me is that all of the aging 60s/70s artists still doing their thing, Steve Tyler feels the most immature. Eventually that's a turn off. Mic Jagger, Jimmy Page, Alice Cooper, Sting, David Bowie, Eddie Van Halen, heck even Dee Snyder to an extent, all seemed to have at least a slight maturing rennesance. I just don't see that much with Aerosmith, and to me, it's a turn off.

This may be a big part of it.

Their whole image really breaks down when they try and maintain it well past middle age and into being senior citizens.