IGNORED

Mega Man 8 / Mega Man X4 - Sega Saturn vs. Playstation

austin532

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

At least PlayStation allowed the 2D games to eventually trickle in. Sega of America denied North America the Saturn licensing to a whole bunch of RPG’s and 2D games.

I don’t know if this is the reason Saturn did well in Japan but not in America, but it’s plausible. For a console to be successful, it depends heavily on the consoles success in the North American market.

Saturn dying in North America meant Saturn died everywhere including Japan. It makes me wonder if there were any Saturn games that were in development or planned that died with the system.

Yeah, I really don't think that the games they left in Japan had much to do with the Saturn's failure in America. The launch disaster definitely left a bad first impression, as well as the subpar, buggy Daytona and Virtua Fighter, two games that SHOULD have been system sellers.

But also Americans wanted different games than Japan. I can't really think of many Japan games that would have been huge sellers in the US. It was much more the fact that PS1 got Mortal Kombat 3 and Saturn got MK2. Saturn got Doom 2 years late and a much worse version. Saturn got awful EA Sports ports and Sega's own sports games were usually even worse. And Sony were able to get fun games from their western second-party developers like Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Jet Moto, Crash Bandicoot, etc. Sega got crap like Congo: The Movie: The Game. Duke Nukem and Quake should have been a big deal, but it was already too late. Every thing that had gone right for the Genesis seemed to just go wrong for the Saturn.