IGNORED

Mega Man 8 / Mega Man X4 - Sega Saturn vs. Playstation

austin532

So what is the definitive console version of Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4? Both were released on Sega Saturn and Playstation so to give a fair analysis I'd say it comes down to 4 things:

- Graphics
- Sound
- Control
- Content

I'm sure this has been done before on other forums but I'd still like to hear everyone's opinion about this.

Well, it only comes down to those four factors if they only differ between the two versions, and if nothing else differs either. 🙂 
I'm not sure what you want for a more subjective discussion, but it's definitely something that's been covered extensively in other places, and as far as I recall people tend to give points to the Saturn version of MM8, while MMX4 comes out on top on PlayStation. I've only played the PlayStation version of either of them though, and both of those were perfectly good.

Comparing the two, yes I'd say the Saturn version of 8 is better. It sounds better, looks better, and has extra content. I think I do prefer the controls on PS1 though.

For X4, there is very little difference. It sounds the same, looks nearly the same, and has the same content. Again I think the PS1 controls are a little bit better.

There’s also Megaman/ MMX Collection on PS2/Gamecube, and Megaman/ MMX Legacy Collection on Switch/PS4.

Both of these collections used the PlayStation versions. I believe the PlayStation versions are considered to be the definitive versions as they were the versions originally developed by the developer.

Even though the Saturn versions had additional content (and in MM8 the extra content is significant), they were ports, not the original versions.

• Like 1

As far as I know, there's no definitive version of Mega Man X4. The PlayStation version has better transparency effects (noticeable at the beginning of the opening stage), less compression in the FMV's, and slightly better controls. The Saturn version has extra visual effects in Magma Dragoon's stage, looping music, and the music in the second part of Frost Walrus's stage has an extra bit at the beginning.

I'm fine with the PlayStation versions (specifically my original PS1 copy of Mega Man 8 that I've had since 2000 or so, and Mega Man X Collection for GameCube), though I used to also have the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 in 2004/2005 (when it cost between $40-$60) and really liked the extra content (especially Cutman and Woodman).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phart010 said:

I believe the PlayStation versions are considered to be the definitive versions as they were the versions originally developed by the developer.

Even though the Saturn versions had additional content (and in MM8 the extra content is significant), they were ports, not the original versions.

Do we know this for sure?

6 hours ago, austin532 said:

Do we know this for sure?

Now that you ask, I just went off and spent a while reading up on this. Apparently both games were developed simultaneously on Saturn and PSX.

I was mistaken, sorry for the misinfo. I got this story mixed up with the Castlevania story. 

Still, the collections contain the PSX version. Probably mainly because this is the version that sold better so it’s what majority of people remember. 

Both games have traits of Saturn being the lead system. There is pixel dithering in the PS1 versions when the PS1 was capable of better transparencies. The Saturn versions have some extra animations while the PS1 versions do not most likely to having less RAM and had to be removed. Most of the other 2D Capcom games were developed on Saturn first and then ported over to PS1 so the same most likely applies to MM8/MMX4 as well. The Saturn was just better at 2D.

I grew up with the PS1 versions so I have no bias towards the Saturn versions but there are several clues that point to Saturn being the lead system.

That is beyond stupid that PS1 at the time discouraged 2D sidescrollers and only "allowed" 8/X4 onto the PS1 if Capcom agreed to also do a 3D MegaMan (which would become Legends).  I mean can you imagine if Sony's anti-2D bias caused 8/X4 to not come on the PS1 at all?  I mean to think I'd have to buy a whole another console (Saturn) just for those two games?  It just wouldn't seem right. 😞 

2 hours ago, Estil said:

That is beyond stupid that PS1 at the time discouraged 2D sidescrollers and only "allowed" 8/X4 onto the PS1 if Capcom agreed to also do a 3D MegaMan (which would become Legends).  I mean can you imagine if Sony's anti-2D bias caused 8/X4 to not come on the PS1 at all?  I mean to think I'd have to buy a whole another console (Saturn) just for those two games?  It just wouldn't seem right. 😞 

Sega of America (Bernie Stolar) also discouraged 2D releases for the Saturn. That’s why the American library of Saturn games is so much smaller than the Japanese. They weren’t interested in licensing 2D. Megaman just lucked out.

Not fully supporting 2D titles was probably a massive beat down to Saturn and then he did the death blow by announcing that Saturn was dead before Dreamcast was even ready.

Edited by phart010

7 hours ago, Estil said:

That is beyond stupid that PS1 at the time discouraged 2D sidescrollers and only "allowed" 8/X4 onto the PS1 if Capcom agreed to also do a 3D MegaMan (which would become Legends).  I mean can you imagine if Sony's anti-2D bias caused 8/X4 to not come on the PS1 at all?

What's even more stupid is that Sony's anti-2D bias has persisted to this day, making it almost impossible for 2D developers to publish games on their platforms unless they already have a presence on other platforms.

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

What's even more stupid is that Sony's anti-2D bias has persisted to this day, making it almost impossible for 2D developers to publish games on their platforms unless they already have a presence on other platforms.

But I thought lately we had quite a 2D renaissance over the past several years?  And I guess in the 6th gen it was thought that 2D games were the GBA's job.

10 hours ago, CMR said:

It just goes to show how big of a deal Capcom was back then.

Yeah and then they went almost all of the 2010s decade without ONE new MegaMan game when the previous two decades often had one of the same series come out annually (such as 2001-06 Battle Network)

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Yeah and then they went almost all of the 2010s decade without ONE new MegaMan game when the previous two decades often had one of the same series come out annually (such as 2001-06 Battle Network)

Its because Keiji Inafune left Capcom and they didn’t know what to do with the series without him

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Its because Keiji Inafune left Capcom and they didn’t know what to do with the series without him

I'll never forgive Crapcom for quitting on MegaMan GBA Collection and Legends 3.  As a certain former governor would say, they'd never make it as a Navy SEAL or a Frogman because if you say the words "I quit!", you're gone!  In both cases they made a commitment to their fans (including what, a ten page article in one of the gaming magazines for Legends 3?) and then when the going gets a little too tough, they quit!?  Maybe Keiji got tired of Crapcom quitting on him.

Quitters NEVER win.  Winners NEVER quit.  And winners don't use drugs.

Edited by Estil

11 minutes ago, Estil said:

I'll never forgive Crapcom for quitting on MegaMan GBA Collection and Legends 3.  As a certain former governor would say, they'd never make it as a Navy SEAL or a Frogman because if you say the words "I quit!", you're gone!  In both cases they made a commitment to their fans (including what, a ten page article in one of the gaming magazines for Legends 3?) and then when the going gets a little too tough, they quit!?  Maybe Keiji got tired of Crapcom quitting on him.

Quitters NEVER win.  Winners NEVER quit.  And winners don't use drugs.

Yea me too, I’ll never forgive them. Now if you’ll excuse me I’ll be over here playing Megaman 11

18 hours ago, Estil said:

I know this will be a super unpopular stance here, but I totally understand why they went that way. At the time, 3D was absolutely the hot ticket. If you're expecting people to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new console, you have to give them a reason. When the 16-bit consoles had loads of great (and some truly elite) 2D games coming out in '95 (DKC 2, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, Ristar, Vectorman, NBA Jam: TE, etc.), it made sense to put all their efforts into making great games that just wouldn't have been possible on older consoles.

Ridge Racer, Tekken, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Wipeout, Air Combat, Doom, Toshinden, etc. Those games may not have all been 10/10's, but they were new experiences that weren't previously possible on consoles... and those are precisely the games that made the PlayStation take off. Yeah, Rayman, Gex, and some others were there, but if those kinds of games were ALL the PS1 had to offer at launch, then honestly we would have all just stuck with the SNES.

Anyway, once PS1 gained market domination, they started letting 2D games trickle in, and the PS1 library had tons of great 2D stuff by the end. So I have no I'll will towards them for that choice.

51 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I know this will be a super unpopular stance here, but I totally understand why they went that way. At the time, 3D was absolutely the hot ticket. If you're expecting people to shell out hundreds of dollars for a new console, you have to give them a reason. When the 16-bit consoles had loads of great (and some truly elite) 2D games coming out in '95 (DKC 2, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, Ristar, Vectorman, NBA Jam: TE, etc.), it made sense to put all their efforts into making great games that just wouldn't have been possible on older consoles.

Ridge Racer, Tekken, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Wipeout, Air Combat, Doom, Toshinden, etc. Those games may not have all been 10/10's, but they were new experiences that weren't previously possible on consoles... and those are precisely the games that made the PlayStation take off. Yeah, Rayman, Gex, and some others were there, but if those kinds of games were ALL the PS1 had to offer at launch, then honestly we would have all just stuck with the SNES.

Anyway, once PS1 gained market domination, they started letting 2D games trickle in, and the PS1 library had tons of great 2D stuff by the end. So I have no I'll will towards them for that choice.

At least PlayStation allowed the 2D games to eventually trickle in. Sega of America denied North America the Saturn licensing to a whole bunch of RPG’s and 2D games.

I don’t know if this is the reason Saturn did well in Japan but not in America, but it’s plausible. For a console to be successful, it depends heavily on the consoles success in the North American market.

Saturn dying in North America meant Saturn died everywhere including Japan. It makes me wonder if there were any Saturn games that were in development or planned that died with the system.

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

At least PlayStation allowed the 2D games to eventually trickle in. Sega of America denied North America the Saturn licensing to a whole bunch of RPG’s and 2D games.

I don’t know if this is the reason Saturn did well in Japan but not in America, but it’s plausible. For a console to be successful, it depends heavily on the consoles success in the North American market.

Saturn dying in North America meant Saturn died everywhere including Japan. It makes me wonder if there were any Saturn games that were in development or planned that died with the system.

What killed the Saturn more than anything was when they not only did that surprise early launch but only for what, four or so retailers?  And they didn't think (as my late wife would say, they didn't think) the other retailers would feel cheated and decide to no longer stock Sega stuff?  As a result they pretty much handed Nintendo the rest of the 16-bit/4th gen on a silver platter...and there was still 2-3 good years left for it; even longer if you're in Japan (MegaMan & Bass, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean just to name a few).

And then of course we all know the number heard 'round the E3/gaming world that was for all intents and purposes check and mate for Saturn:

Edited by Estil