IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Adventure of Dino Riki

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis i played with my pioneer turntable instead of playing nintendo today.

@JamesRobot it was the jim croche album "greatest love songs" to spin first 🤘🏻

🎶op poo rator, a wont you help me place this call🎶

Shoulda went with Leroy Brown. 

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
32 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It took me only a few minutes to get participation. I expected much worse.

I had this feeling that participation should be much higher than that, but still went in light with it.
Anyway, you will love the ruleset I have in store for Klax.

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

I had this feeling that participation should be much higher than that, but still went in light with it.
Anyway, you will love the ruleset I have in store for Klax.

I was expecting POW to be a one life contest too. You're getting soft. 😄

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

It took me only a few minutes to get participation. I expected much worse.

I finally got it loaded onto the flash cart last night. Got to participation pretty quick, but not much further. Even doing a quick watch of gloves video, Im not sure what he is doing to score so damn high. And Im not sure I have the patience for this one to find out. Im sure part of the problem is not jumping enough, but damn. 

The verticle shooter concept is really cool, but this game seems really rough to me. Spoiled by pocky and rocky maybe

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I finally got it loaded onto the flash cart last night. Got to participation pretty quick, but not much further. Even doing a quick watch of gloves video, Im not sure what he is doing to score so damn high. And Im not sure I have the patience for this one to find out. Im sure part of the problem is not jumping enough, but damn. 

The verticle shooter concept is really cool, but this game seems really rough to me. Spoiled by pocky and rocky maybe

Just pick up the diamonds, and don't get hit.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Just pick up the diamonds, and don't get hit.

Looked like you were picking up everything. Am I wrong there? Or is like pocky and rocky that you want to pick up the same powerup over and over because picking up a different one resets you back to no upgrade essentially?

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Looked like you were picking up everything. Am I wrong there? Or is like pocky and rocky that you want to pick up the same powerup over and over because picking up a different one resets you back to no upgrade essentially?

I picked up everything cuz I'm a keener. The points are in the diamonds, and I'm pretty sure only taking damage resets their value, or getting enough for a free life. I don't get hit much and I pick up all the diamonds, so whether taking damage or not impacts the points I'm not sure. 

But that's the best advice I can give. There's three tiers to this game, really. 

1) be generally good at dodging things

2) pick up the diamonds, and don't get hit

3) learn where the hidden power up's are, especially flight and Macho Riki

You can get by with 1. You can get a big score with 1 and 2. Do all 3 and you're laughin. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I picked up everything cuz I'm a keener. The points are in the diamonds, and I'm pretty sure only taking damage resets their value, or getting enough for a free life. I don't get hit much and I pick up all the diamonds, so whether taking damage or not impacts the points I'm not sure. 

But that's the best advice I can give. There's three tiers to this game, really. 

1) be generally good at dodging things

2) pick up the diamonds, and don't get hit

3) learn where the hidden power up's are, especially flight and Macho Riki

You can get by with 1. You can get a big score with 1 and 2. Do all 3 and you're laughin. 

That sounds like more than I'm going to have time for this week as much as I hate to let @Richardhead beat me.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, PII said:

Gunsmoke is very good, but not nearly as much wild fun as this.  Jumping not broken.  Be very deliberate about it.  Controls are Loosey-Goosey which is part of what makes it so much fun once you get the feel.  In my direct experience there is only one functional flaw in this game.  If anyone can point it out (not counting Gloves), I'll stand up and salute you, most heartily.

Not being able to pick up items while flying? I hate that.

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

ya know ive tried battle of olympus a few times....dont care for it. i think it had good music? i cant remember. its like a bad platformer rpg like zelda 2. that is the game im thinking of right?

Yeah, that's the right game. I liked Zelda 2 as well though. I really like games that have an element of exploration to them and this had the perfect balance of not being too linear nor being too "how was I supposed to figure that out". It has some interesting mechanics in it as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah, that's the right game. I liked Zelda 2 as well though. I really like games that have an element of exploration to them and this had the perfect balance of not being too linear nor being too "how was I supposed to figure that out". It has some interesting mechanics in it as well.

right on. nice job clearing it btw 💪🏻 thats cool. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

With gloves advice, this game got a lot more fun quick. Should be getting into pro am 2, but now Im tempted to get into this and squeek out a 6th place score lol

im skipping through all the share bear stuff as best i can lol. fun little game. i like havent figured out the macho riki yet but i will prob be playing this one more this week. i should be playing galaga!