IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Adventure of Dino Riki

BeaIank

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@PII isolated warrior is one of my favorite games.

@Gloves are you gonna shred this week? how is this not in the shooter genre?

I'm gonna find some time between work for sure. Not highly likely I'll get a top score, but I might get addicted like most times I pop this one in.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@PII isolated warrior is one of my favorite games.

That's the very one I was thinking of.  Tough and SO much fun.  Great jumping w/a little bit of float!  I haven't beaten it though.  That one and Zen Intergalactic Ninja.  Now that guy's got a ridiculous hang time.

Compared to them Riki's on a planet with some extra gravitational pull...

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PII said:

That's the very one I was thinking of.  Tough and SO much fun.  Great jumping w/a little bit of float!  I haven't beaten it though.  That one and Zen Intergalactic Ninja.  Now that guy's got a ridiculous hang time.

the visual theme and story of isolated warrior is so cool! the last battle is amazing. such a fun game! 

i couldnt get into zen as much. i dont know why. i tried it a few times but ended up selling it.

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i couldnt get into zen as much. i dont know why. i tried it a few times but ended up selling it.

Might be worth a 2nd glance.  I regret not having secured a copy yet.  Asking price seems to have doubled in the last couple of years.  I have it on one of my multicarts though....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PII said:

I regret not having secured a copy yet. 

My thoughts. My local store had one forever and I wouldnt buy it because of a decent sized knick in the label. They probably wanted like 10-15 bucks. And now I want to play it and cant find the extension to load the flash cart in the midst of house painting fiasco. Im a pocky and rocky fan and this will be fun to try whenever I can 

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

My thoughts. My local store had one forever and I wouldnt buy it because of a decent sized knick in the label. They probably wanted like 10-15 bucks. And now I want to play it and cant find the extension to load the flash cart in the midst of house painting fiasco. Im a pocky and rocky fan and this will be fun to try whenever I can 

I know you can't possibly be referring to Zen Intergalactic Ninja here....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PII said:

I know you can't possibly be referring to Zen Intergalactic Ninja here....

Nah, I bought that one on nintendo age years ago. Not a bad game. No dino and riki so I fired up the snes version. Only got a little over 90k. @Gloveswould have laughed at my ass kicking 

20211010_222107.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

4 hours ago, PII said:

Might be worth a 2nd glance.  I regret not having secured a copy yet.  Asking price seems to have doubled in the last couple of years.  I have it on one of my multicarts though....

i tried to give zen a fair shake. ive had twice and sold it twice. now you got me thinking about getting it a third time lol. i have an everdrive so ill go that route first.

i seen you have a 3 screw stinger. one of my favorite screw variants.

Edited by docile tapeworm

10 hours ago, PII said:

Don't forget Improvisation, that's when things get really wild FUN.

PII translation:  IT'S THE BEST KIND OF SHMUP THERE IS!  Vertical Scrolling (and or isometric) with JUMPING! AND PITS OF DOOM!  DOOM!!   DOOM!!!

Have you played Gremlins 2 on the NES?

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Gloves said:

One of my absolute favorite shrimps, and one of my top NES games. 

@CasualCart get in here and play! 

Oh shoot - I haven't been paying attention to the weekly contests haha. I'm garbage at Dino Riki (and every other game on the planet), but I'll try to get a run in.

I have no doubt you'll absolutely wreck this one haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

i seen you have a 3 screw stinger. one of my favorite screw variants.

Yup, sure do.

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Have you played Gremlins 2 on the NES?

Absolutely, that's another fun one that gets hard quick.  I picked up a copy a few years ago and felt that I'd found a real gem.  It seems to be remaining relatively obscure...

12 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

i tried to give zen a fair shake. ive had twice and sold it twice. now you got me thinking about getting it a third time lol. 

Damn, didnt realize zen became such a pricey game. Only one cart only listing available on ebay. 160 bucks for a chewed uppppp copy. Crazy shit. I remember thinking I overpaid at 50 bucks 

Graphics Team · Posted

I got pumped to play a weekly contest on actual hardware for the first time since I finally got my NES collection out of storage (pandemic issues - long story). But my Dino Riki cart wouldn't boot on my NES! 
Luckily, I still managed to dump the ROM ... kind of ... It's a bit of a glitchy mess, but I can still tell what's going on in the emulator. 

Anyway - I made it across the first lilypad jump. Am I a Dino Riki master now?

-CasualCart

1720004283_CasualCartDinoRiki45460.jpg.cf8a2351d34cb1a61f102e5572ad5ea1.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_20211011_165127543.thumb.jpg.2d745613b9812ffb964a7210154e58c9.jpg

Well, still suck at the game, but I doubled my score. That's probably it for the week though.

Fuck I hate one-life rulesets in hard as balls shooters.  Took me ages just to break the participation barrier.  Maybe next week will be a game I actually WANT to play...

*checks*

Nope, guess not.  Fucksticks. 

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

FOUR More Reasons To Love And Play Dino Riki This Week:

1. Riki's Ever-Swinging Arms and the way his feet keep on marching along even when he flies.

2. The way Riki has to seek out the big Dinos and battle them inside their cavernous home turf + Giant Fiddleheads.

3. Fire-Belching Triceratops And Sand-L Pools!

4. The Wonderful and distinctly Japan-esque Weirdness of basing a Caveman and Dinosaurs Video Game on real life Japanese Wrestler One Riki Choshu.

riki reasons.png

rikireason.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I got pumped to play a weekly contest on actual hardware for the first time since I finally got my NES collection out of storage (pandemic issues - long story). But my Dino Riki cart wouldn't boot on my NES! 
Luckily, I still managed to dump the ROM ... kind of ... It's a bit of a glitchy mess, but I can still tell what's going on in the emulator. 

-CasualCart

1720004283_CasualCartDinoRiki45460.jpg.cf8a2351d34cb1a61f102e5572ad5ea1.jpg

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but I barely broke 5K getting to that jump, and that's because I shot damn near everything.  There's no way your score says 45,460...I'd say download a clean ROM to use, as that's...damn...

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I know I felt a real sense of accomplishment the first time I did that.

4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but I barely broke 5K getting to that jump, and that's because I shot damn near everything.  There's no way your score says 45,460...I'd say download a clean ROM to use, as that's...damn...

I'm usually around 60k when I arrive at that Lilly Pool...

28 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

IMG_20211011_141108676.thumb.jpg.8e900781429932c076410b821e40752a.jpg

Fuck I hate one-life rulesets in hard as balls shooters.  Took me ages just to break the participation barrier.  Maybe next week will be a game I actually WANT to play...

*checks*

Nope, guess not.  Fucksticks. 

For what it's worth, I had some time to play this morning and ended up practicing Galaga instead.

Graphics Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I made it further past the lilypad once I cleared it haha. And while I usually only have around 5K before that jump, this time I managed to get some kind of point-bonus that I missed in my other attempts.

But as far as bad dumps go - I don't know how to check if the glitches in my ROM affect anything other than the graphics. If my ROM isn't allowed, then I'll take my score back, since I have a personal stance against downloading pirated games.

@BeaIank - can I get an official ruling for whether or not I can participate with my current ROM?

-CasualCart