IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Adventure of Dino Riki

BeaIank

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Naw, the forum keeps track 😉

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Um...where?

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's a sidebar on the right with info about the thread. At the top it has "TOP POSTERS IN THIS TOPIC" that shows the top four posters with the number of posts for each.

Lol that’s a nice feature I never would have looked for or needed to know 

11 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sounds like Basil best get crackin'...

I'm watching football all day 🙂

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

there must be some mistake.

Regular season is garbage, remember?  You only care about genre wins and the post-season tournament win.  So I'm going to win half of the eight genres FOR YOU and try my damndest in the tournament.... 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nice score, Bert; I knew that was coming.  With both you and PII on my heels, I knew I had to put up at least a half decent score (updated on page 1).  It should be enough for the Top 5 finish that I need...  🙂

Lol not sure which was more predictable, bert showing up with a monster score or you updating at the midnight hour. Nicely done on both accounts

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lol not sure which was more predictable, bert showing up with a monster score or you updating at the midnight hour. Nicely done on both accounts

I Could smell both of those comin', one on each side of my nose; ...A mile against the wind.

• Haha 2

Just now, PII said:

I Could smell both of those comin', one on each side of my nose; ...A mile against the wind.

That's funny!  I had no idea you liked this game so much; it seems every game has that one guy who just can't get enough of it.  I actually really like it too: it's by Hudson Soft (my favourite NES publisher) and has many elements from my favourite NES game, Adventure Island.  Think about all the weapons (axes, fireballs, boomerangs), the enemies, the scantily clad main character who never stops moving, the hopping from island to island, etc.  This game feels like they took Adventure Island and made it into a top-down shooter.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Adventure Island.  Think about all the weapons (axes, fireballs, boomerangs), the enemies, the scantily clad main character who never stops moving, the hopping from island

Music, weapons, and crazy theme def reminded me of adventure island. Made me wonder if there are other good hudson games I haven't played. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's funny!  I had no idea you liked this game so much; it seems every game has that one guy who just can't get enough of it.

You, Me, Gloves, presumably Bert and perhaps a few other converts understand that it is far, FAR better than "not terrible."

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Music, weapons, and crazy theme def reminded me of adventure island. Made me wonder if there are other good hudson games I haven't played. 

There are lots, and not all of them are self-published either.  Faxanadu and Robowarrior are examples I can think of at the moment, but they have a ton of good games...

3 minutes ago, PII said:

You, Me, Gloves, presumably Bert and perhaps a few other converts understand that it is far, FAR better than "not terrible."

My only two issues are the lack of an ending, and the weird stage numbering; there are seven stages, but they pretend that the first three stages are four levels each, which is bullshit, but still a great game, if not a triffle short...

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My only two issues are the lack of an ending, and the weird stage numbering; there are seven stages, but they pretend that the first three stages are four levels each, which is bullshit, but still a great game, if not a triffle short...

That stage numbering is pretty weird, but has no effect on game play

When you beat this one for the first time and no ending that does feel a little sad, but there is no ending better than more game play at a greater difficulty level... also more than 1.2 or 1.3 mil. yields the Riki change to an old man on the title screen so there's a little Easter Egg there for the die-hards.

...Almost forgot, the one undeniable flaw this game has is the ability for Riki to get stuck on things like Walls and Rocks etc.  Bad way to get shot up or scrolled off the screen.

• Like 1