IGNORED

Anyone Getting The LEGO Titanic?

16BitBricks

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It's amazing what a kid can do with creativity, motivation, and $320,000 of Lego bricks.

Doubtful he paid that. Brand new bricks are normally considered to be around 10cents a brick and if he used BrickLink he probably got them for between 1cent-6cents. Lots of common bricks in that build. 

This is something I would be genuinely interested in.  I was extremely fascinated with the Titanic as a kid.  I read everything I could about the history of it and watched every documentary I could find.  This was long before the James Cameron movie came out.  In fact, that movie kind of ruined it for me because any time I would show interest in the Titanic, everyone thought I was just referring to the James Cameron movie. 🙄

With that said, I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on something like that, and I also wouldn't want to explain to my kids why I spent that much money on a Lego set that they can't play with. 😛

I honestly wish I could rent something like this, assemble it one time and enjoy it for a short while.  Then disassemble it and return it.  I know that isn't realistic, but I would enjoy that.

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This is something I would be genuinely interested in.  I was extremely fascinated with the Titanic as a kid.  I read everything I could about the history of it and watched every documentary I could find.  This was long before the James Cameron movie came out.  In fact, that movie kind of ruined it for me because any time I would show interest in the Titanic, everyone thought I was just referring to the James Cameron movie. 🙄

With that said, I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on something like that, and I also wouldn't want to explain to my kids why I spent that much money on a Lego set that they can't play with. 😛

I honestly wish I could rent something like this, assemble it one time and enjoy it for a short while.  Then disassemble it and return it.  I know that isn't realistic, but I would enjoy that.

Same man, same. In fact, what sparked my interest as a kid was thr National Geographic issue that documented the ALVIN exploration on the seabed floor! That's still amazing stuff. Then the movie came out and as an angsty teen who hated evry heart throb the ladies like, Leo was prime enemy #1 and didn't end up seeing the film until about 2005 or so. (I now deem it "ok"). But yeah, it was a drag being a kid with an "old" affection for the history and then having it felt tarnished by such a piece of pop culture capitalizing on it.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, RH said:

Same man, same. In fact, what sparked my interest as a kid was thr National Geographic issue that documented the ALVIN exploration on the seabed floor! That's still amazing stuff. Then the movie came out and as an angsty teen who hated evry heart throb the ladies like, Leo was prime enemy #1 and didn't end up seeing the film until about 2005 or so. (I now deem it "ok"). But yeah, it was a drag being a kid with an "old" affection for the history and then having it felt tarnished by such a piece of pop culture capitalizing on it.

Ha.  I disliked Leo for the exact same reason.  It wasn't until Catch Me if You Can that I started to enjoy his work.  

As far as the James Cameron Titanic, I enjoyed the movie for what it was.  It's always a little weird when something becomes popular after you were already interested in it.  You want to say you liked it before it was cool, but you don't want to sound like a hipster either. 😛

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Ha.  I disliked Leo for the exact same reason.  It wasn't until Catch Me if You Can that I started to enjoy his work.  

As far as the James Cameron Titanic, I enjoyed the movie for what it was.  It's always a little weird when something becomes popular after you were already interested in it.  You want to say you liked it before it was cool, but you don't want to sound like a hipster either. 😛

Off topic, but agreed.  Catch Me If You Can was great.  I have really tried to mature since being, you know, 16 but even still I don't "like" the guy.  Granted, from what I've heard he's not too likable (but no where as bad as Depp!) but I really don't pay attention to news.  He's been in a few movies I probably should go back to and evaluate them for what they are, but as the saying goes, old habits die hard.  They habit of not liking Leo ran deep back then in the 90s, and it's a tough one to get over for admittedly no go reason.  So, is Revenant any good?  How about Shudder Island (though that maybe one that's too horror, rather than thriller, for my personal tastes.)

40 minutes ago, RH said:

So, is Revenant any good?  How about Shudder Island (though that maybe one that's too horror, rather than thriller, for my personal tastes.)

Haven't seen those two, but I liked him in the already mentioned Catch Me if You Can along with Inception, and The Wolf of Wall Street.  The Quick and the Dead is also a good movie, but his part is small and that was before he was famous (his name didn't even appear on the VHS box).  That's about all I've seen besides the obvious role in Titanic.