IGNORED

Metroid Dread

inasuma

2 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

That's funny, because you literally just said it's a perfect 10, then go on to describe how the game is arguably kind of flawed/tedious. That doesn't make much sense.

I'd be a bit moderate and say it's a very good Game Boy game, with its obvious flaws and shortcomings.

When did I say that about Metroid 2?  Metroid 2 is a near-perfect game considering when it was released, and the limitations of the hardware.  A very in-depth story is told with little text.   It's a masterpiece, and I know I've considered it as such for decades.

Some of what I outline may sound like "problems" but Metroid has always been about exploration, and that's one approach to exploring that style of map.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love this game. Arguably my most favorite (2D/Sidescrolling) Metroid now (I do still have a fondness in my heart for Prime 2 Echoes ❤️ )

The gameplay feels so crisp and smooth, if not a bit too slippery at first. It took me a bit to get get used to the timing, especially when pulling off counters and things, as instead of the neat run > counter > shoot fluid gameplay, I'd usually end up running headlong into the enemy then almost certainly getting knocked off the platform lol

It was in danger of almost being too excessive in, well, everything. You arguably didn't need the number of missiles they give you (with bosses especially being pretty generous to resupply you mid-fight), let alone having as many upgrades to collect and most of them being only +2.

Also, as cool as the run & counter stuff was combined with the new Aeion abilities, it's almost a bit much for me to keep track of. It's a bit tough especially if you hadn't played it in a couple days then try to pick it back up (which happened to me a bit as I only got to play it a couple hours every other day, so it took me over a week to get through it). I definitely forgot how to play it for a little bit and would get my butt kicked lol. I eventually got back on the horse though and it was fine.

Maybe the best release this year? Solid A rating, 9/10 game. If you like and metroivanias at all it is worth picking up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah it's a mostly good game, but the uneven boss/sub-boss difficulty is off putting as much as the fiddly should not have been overly complicated controls for fast toggle/arming abilities in fights.  That aside, it's great.

That last boss fight was a real pain in the ass with all the button combos especially in the second phase when the bastard is flying around. Had to put the controller down twice and come back later after some time due to frustration. I eventually got him though after a righteous tex mex lunch

Well I didn't wantt o put the switch itself down through some hard object after blowing it probably upwards to 20x, just wasn't worth it as the control combinations needed in general are fiddly, but coupled with the high speed and tiny window to react is a dumpster fire of fury I was not going to tolerate any further.

I've moved back into some games I sadly wandered from, currently a mix of Golf Story and Dragon Quest 11S.

• 3 weeks later...

finished Metroid Dread this morning. i'll just echo the chorus: EXCELLENT GAME! the controls do get a bit wonky with the combinations late in the game, but i didn't think it was too terrible. And the difficulty that is so talked about? the initial time you face off against each boss, i can see it, but it doesn't take long to know their moves, find their weaknesses, and prevail. IMO pretty much a perfect difficulty balance. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finished this game last week and I was pretty disappointed. I can't believe how incredibly short and linear it is, despite heavy recycling of bosses and EMMI stuff. I'll probably post a bit more detail in the Backlog thread when I get some screenshots pulled and gather my thoughts. To be fair, I think it's a good game, but I was expecting 9/10 great. Instead it landed with a thud at 7/10 for me.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I finished this game last week and I was pretty disappointed. I can't believe how incredibly short and linear it is, despite heavy recycling of bosses and EMMI stuff. I'll probably post a bit more detail in the Backlog thread when I get some screenshots pulled and gather my thoughts. To be fair, I think it's a good game, but I was expecting 9/10 great. Instead it landed with a thud at 7/10 for me.

Super Metroid is such a high bar to overcome 

• Agree 2