IGNORED

Metroid Dread

inasuma

On 10/13/2021 at 2:51 AM, ifightdragons said:

I sure hope so. Odyssey is one of the worst examples I've seen of adding new challenges after the main game.

I thought the balloon world was fun, and I liked going back to collect everything - or are you referring to the final stages in the game post-credits? Yeah, that felt a bit shallow to me.

As for button kung-fu, I haven't felt that at all with Dread. Controls felt 100% intuitive, I love the movement, zipping around and jumping and shooting! I beat the game last night, the final boss was really fun, though I was hoping for just a little bit more. Still haven't completely wrapped my head around the story. My in-game clock said I beat the game in 7h58m, just under 8 hours, but I felt like I played for more like 20. Maybe the pause/map screen don't count? I still need to go back and collect all the items I missed.

I'm not really interested in the special edition but I'd like to get the amiibo. Unfortunately they're sold out all around me and going for 3x retail on Amazon so if anyone hears about a restock, let me know.

21 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

I absolutely get where you're coming from! There certainly was a nasty bit of buttons kung fu on the 3DS as well.

I'd even argue that almost every Metroid game has had a problem with nailing down the controls.

Yeah I guess, other than the first couple since the buttons didn't limit or weird up things.  The SNES was fine, yeah L/R were there but it wasn't a struggle, basically reserved for just aiming up and down at an angle which wasn't a big problem.  Since then it has become more complicated than necessary, sometimes to the damage of the quality of the game like the brainless use of a c-stick in a FPS(whatever they care to call it denying that truth) for visors instead of being on even footing with space pirates and bosses to aim-lock-fire on stuff as it moves (why the Trilogy was so nice, fixed that.)

6 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Ugh I'm stuck as SHIT!

I hate these games where I have no idea where to go. I've been running around forever and have no idea what to do.

Is there a hint option or anything I have no idea where I'm meant to go next.

Haha. What area are you in, which bosses have you beat and what weapons do you have ?

Edited by phart010

I beat Kraid a while back, I got the grapple beam recently and the scan thing where I can see hidden blocks.

But I've been walking in circles through every single room everywhere and I have no idea where to go next!

Literally just like 3 hours of going round every zone and every room! I got tons of items and shit, even got some items I can't even use yet, which I guess are power bombs?

But yeah man, stuck and sad! 😞

15 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Ugh I'm stuck as SHIT!

I hate these games where I have no idea where to go. I've been running around forever and have no idea what to do.

Is there a hint option or anything I have no idea where I'm meant to go next.

I'm not playing the game right now, so I can't help you.  

But when it comes to getting stuck in a game, I try as hard as possible to avoid using guides.  But sometimes, there is nothing else you can do.  I typically go to YouTube and try to find a longplay and locate the part of the video where I'm at.  Then I wait until I see them do something that I haven't done yet so I know where to go.  Then I immediately switch the video off so I'm back to playing on my own.  

• Agree 1

If I get that far I might, damn stuff keeps coming up and I'm playing about just a couple hours or so a week over a couple days which sucks (haven't even touched FF5A in over a week...ugh.)  I keep reading some bosses are just pure evil, you need to be on another level of ability to do which seems a bit anti-Nintendo given their usual way about stuff, but whatever...product of a game they had others do I guess.  Metroid always had a challenge, but it was balanced, this one seems to ok ok ok, pure evil boss...ok ...ok boss, then WTF... it's all over.

17 hours ago, OptOut said:

Oof... So... Anyone else just gonna straight give-up on the final boss? 😅

#ProTip - Git Gud

Joking aside, I did put it down after a few attempts(15 to 20), only to come back the next day and finally kick its butt(after 10-15 more attempts). Once you have the attack patterns down, its not too bad(assuming you have more then 7 Energy Tanks and 150 Missiles and use the X-Button whenever applicable).

11 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Congrats!  Some of the bosses are definitely pretty tough, but once you figure out all their moves and timing, it's not so bad. I love the balance of difficulty in this game!  It's not too easy, not too hard, just right for me!

Hmmm... I would actually say the game is a little unbalanced in terms of difficulty.

It starts of pretty moderately difficult, when you are underpowered and haven't accumulated too much health or powers. Then, it gets progressively easier to the point that you can tear through basically everything without even looking at the screen by the time you've unlocked all your powers. It feels great because you remember how vulnerable you were and now you're an unstoppable God, but it also feels kinda like okay, the game's done now.

Then again, the bosses kinda feel like a whole different game almost, much more focused on timing and quick reactions and stuff, they can rip you to shreds in seconds if you don't know what you're doing.

I got on fine with the bosses, I actually found them fun to figure out, but you gotta actually TRY you know, you can't really take them on just spamming and tanking hits like most games, you gotta do the right stuff.

That's fine by me, but it definitely feels unbalanced compared to the rest of the game, you don't need a similar level of concentration to play through the actual game compared to the bosses.

As for the EMMI or whatever they were, I mean I don't really think that aspect hit with me. Avoiding them was basically pointless because as soon as you die you get another chance right away. I never felt... AHEM... DREAD when encountering them because they caught me ALL the time, a million times each, like they go straight for you and then you get another chance, so it just felt like... Okay grab me fine, I'll just try again, no biggie...

Overall I think it's a very good game, I would actually put it on par with the other two, like Super Metroid and Fusion, but for different reasons. I think the combat, the movement and the pace of this game are better than those two, but I think the other two have better level design and have more memorable like environments and art styles.

So yeah like a probably solid 7.5/10 from me, not quite great but very good. I'd maybe say Super Metroid deserves an 8, but only because it came out like 30 years ago, I actually had more fun with this game but I doubt I'll remember it as much a year from now.

21 hours ago, OptOut said:

Overall I think it's a very good game, I would actually put it on par with the other two, like Super Metroid and Fusion, but for different reasons. I think the combat, the movement and the pace of this game are better than those two, but I think the other two have better level design and have more memorable like environments and art styles.

So yeah like a probably solid 7.5/10 from me, not quite great but very good. I'd maybe say Super Metroid deserves an 8, but only because it came out like 30 years ago, I actually had more fun with this game but I doubt I'll remember it as much a year from now.

I also think it’s a great game. However, I still prefer Super Metroid. I am playing through it again to see if it was nostalgia or truly great game design. So far I am observing that Super Metroid is just simply a smash hit from all angles.

As you stated, the environments in Super Metroid are much more memorable. I think part of it was that the environments in Super Metroid were more ‘natural’. In Dread they tried to make everything a composite of nature and a rustic colony. This was especially a bummer in the water world, I was hoping for an open water world, but it seemed to much like you were in a giant aquarium, just like Metroid Fusion.

Another big one was the music. The music in Dread was basically ambient sound.. music is SOOOO mportant to the experience in a game, I am surprised they chose to go this route, especially considering that they were probably referring directly to Super Metroid as a blueprint. Super Metroid probably gets a lot more love than is due to it and probably more than people are even aware due to its masterpiece soundtrack.

I still like Metroid Dread lot, and I think these things don’t take away from it too much. And honestly if they wanted to make this game really great they could probably just release some DLC update to improve a few things.

• Agree 2

Just beat Metroid Dread.  I really enjoyed it.  There is some control kung-fu and it takes some time to learn what does what, but after you do, Samus movement feels great.  The Bosses are all a challenge, it's really learning the patterns to the attacks and when to counter.  Even with the last boss, once you understand what to do you can probably go back through and beat him on the first or send try (admittedly to learn the best way to beat the final boss I had to watch a couple youtube videos).  The game is somewhat linear but its done in a really smart way, where the game pushes you in a direction without the player really noticing too much.  I enjoyed my time with and and would love to see some DLC.  My ranking of the 2D Metroid games from best to worst.  

1.  Super Metroid
2.  Metroid Zero Mission
3.  Metroid Dread
4.  Metroid
5.  Metroid Fusion
6.  Metroid 2 Remake
7.  Metroid II

It's a tough list, I beat them all and enjoy them all.  Great to see a new one in the series after so long.  

On 10/29/2021 at 11:04 AM, NintendoTwizer said:

Just beat Metroid Dread.  I really enjoyed it.  There is some control kung-fu and it takes some time to learn what does what, but after you do, Samus movement feels great.  The Bosses are all a challenge, it's really learning the patterns to the attacks and when to counter.  Even with the last boss, once you understand what to do you can probably go back through and beat him on the first or send try (admittedly to learn the best way to beat the final boss I had to watch a couple youtube videos).  The game is somewhat linear but its done in a really smart way, where the game pushes you in a direction without the player really noticing too much.  I enjoyed my time with and and would love to see some DLC.  My ranking of the 2D Metroid games from best to worst.  

1.  Super Metroid
2.  Metroid Zero Mission
3.  Metroid Dread
4.  Metroid
5.  Metroid Fusion
6.  Metroid 2 Remake
7.  Metroid II

It's a tough list, I beat them all and enjoy them all.  Great to see a new one in the series after so long.  

For me its

1.  Super Metroid
2. Metroid Dread
3. Metroid 2 Remake
4. Metroid Zero Mission
5. Metroid Fusion
6. Metroid
7. Metroid II