Jump to content
IGNORED

Metroid Dread


inasuma
 Share

Recommended Posts

I waffled on this one until the last moment, just got back with a copy.聽 Waiting for my kid to go down to bed and I'll take a peek.聽 I saw some early comments on someone with my same concerns who seems to think far more highly of it for not being bad like the 3DS remake of Metroid II.

I figured why not, and it's Metroid 5 ultimately, would be bad to ignore one of the games of the storyline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel bad, but stuff just hasn't gone my way in the weekend with open time not consumed by other need to do things, but I could have yesterday yet after getting FF5 Advance back I got sucked into it for hours. 馃槈

The game so far is a bit on the precise/annoying side with actual bosses.聽 EMMIs they suck, but can be avoided with care, I think...just got to the second place so I have that green one in the ad spots to deal with, yet at this rate now you can cloak so it's a trad eoff I haven't explored much.聽 I'm stuck going in circles when I shut it off Friday.聽 I want to get back to it, just a light headache and tired, day still isn't over yet...so likely not until tomorrow night.聽 I'd put it in the 8-9 range, not perfect but it's quite good, higher 8 though, just has a few strange balance moments and stuff, nothing damning...yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been loving this game! The music is great, the controls are superb, and so far the general game design is excellent. I'm maybe 10 hours in. So far it feels a lot more linear than Super Metroid, which can be both good and bad... I like the freedom to sequence break to some extent for replayability, but I've felt gently guided in the right direction by the environment. I'm not a Metroid lore buff but I'm aware of the overall storyline, and I'm really liking how this one is tying in with the other Metroid games I've played.

Two things have come to mind when playing this game:

  1. I'm just happy that we get another 2D Metroid on console. Nothing wrong with 3D games, but I've generally had the feeling over the last decade or so that many IPs have shied away from going back to a 2D platformer style for fear of being considered too simple. Now we just need the same treatment for Castlevania.
  2. Reiterating, but this game just聽feels聽amazing. There's no delay when shooting, so I can mash like a madman. Control in the air is good and weapons feel intuitive. Avoiding projectiles and firing back at enemies while airborne feels natural. I can't wait to see speedruns of this game.
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 10:22 PM, Nintegageo said:

It's dope. Pretty linear though. Think Fusion-ish. Some cool new gameplay.

I agree it is a little linear, although not at bad as Fusion. In Fusion, they would explicitly tell you where to go and what to do. In this game, it seems that new areas have a way of burning bridges so that you can鈥檛 go back the way you came. This forces you to go a certain way.

I can see why they did this, the map is so large that they won鈥檛 want you endlessly backtracking to try and find where to go next. So they just keep you on course by manipulating the areas you have access to. I鈥檓 just glad that they didn鈥檛 tell you where to go like in Fusion.

For me personally, I鈥檇 have preferred complete freedom, but I don鈥檛 think that is what would appeal to the masses. If that鈥檚 a sacrifice I have to make in order to get new Metroid games, then so be it. It would be cool though if there were some DLC patches down the line that give more difficulty/freedom to the Metroid veterans.

Another thing that left me a little bummed was the lack of ability to toggle on/off weapons, suits and abilities like in Super Metroid. This added more replayability because if you felt too overpowering, you could make yourself weaker and also you could experiment with different combinations of beams. I don鈥檛 know why they took away the toggle, even in Fusion. The debug mode allowed you to toggle and all the different beam combinations existed in the game code, but for some reason they didn鈥檛 want the player to have those options available.

So far I think I am maybe 75% of the way through and the game is great, but I am already starting to feel the way you do when you know the ride is about to end. I really hope they do some things to add some degree of replayability to this game.

Nintendo, how bout getting the Mario Odyssey team to look at ways of adding replayability content into Metroid Dread? 馃槢

Edited by phart010
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's linear it's not that linear as I feel I'm going in circles at times.聽 I just went into a weird like infinity style double loop of sorts in cataris and looped back to a shuttle into Dairon for the first time.聽 Not sure what's up, has to be a key weapon, my guess triple shot(wave beam?) because of some weird door locks with 3 spots.聽 I think that's locking me from kicking that annoying emmi's ass in green there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really enjoying the game so far, but the there are definitely some unfair difficulty spikes that don't sit well with me.
The EMMI encounters are more annoying than anything, though I admit it's a good feeling of relief and excitement when finally being able to defeat them.

The controls are also a bit convoluted, and don't feel very intuitive. Especially when you start to pick up a lot of items, and have to basically use all shoulder buttons at once, including several face buttons. It's a bit much.

Overall, it's very fun to control a super fast-paced and agile Samus.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Really enjoying the game so far, but the there are definitely some unfair difficulty spikes that don't sit well with me.
The EMMI encounters are more annoying than anything, though I admit it's a good feeling of relief and excitement when finally being able to defeat them.

The controls are also a bit convoluted, and don't feel very intuitive. Especially when you start to pick up a lot of items, and have to basically use all shoulder buttons at once, including several face buttons. It's a bit much.

Overall, it's very fun to control a super fast-paced and agile Samus.

Are you playing with a Pro controller? I use Pro controller and it feels fine to me. When I play handheld mode with joycons it does feel much harder to control

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ifightdragons Trust me it was worse on the 3DS game mercurysteam did before this to the point I bailed on it and sold the thing.聽 This one despite still having a bit of button kung fu isn't as bad, so they figured out to a point what sucked.聽 What phart was saying though, I think this game will be a bit much for not just the average gamer but even some who are a bit more comfy with this style of exploration game, not the stages, just the bosses as the difficulty is bs, very skewed and not balanced well.聽 That's largely the only complaint I can slap down on the game, poor balance where it's not just tricky, it's a borderline infuriating wall.聽 I still feel that range of grade I was thinking fits, if not it more cements it.

I got roped into it a bit more last night, found the varia suit thankfully and a couple +10 missile pods and 2/4 partial E-tanks(ugh hate they added this zelda mechanic) along with a full one.聽 Trying at this rate to figure where to go now having got that stuff and the wide beam too which helps flush some of the trash out far quicker.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

Are you playing with a Pro controller? I use Pro controller and it feels fine to me. When I play handheld mode with joycons it does feel much harder to control

I do use the Pro Controller. The controls are very responsive. It's just a bit overkill using every imaginable input at once. I can manage it fine, but it doesn't feel very natural or relaxed.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@ifightdragons Trust me it was worse on the 3DS game mercurysteam did before this to the point I bailed on it and sold the thing.聽 This one despite still having a bit of button kung fu isn't as bad, so they figured out to a point what sucked.聽 What phart was saying though, I think this game will be a bit much for not just the average gamer but even some who are a bit more comfy with this style of exploration game, not the stages, just the bosses as the difficulty is bs, very skewed and not balanced well.聽 That's largely the only complaint I can slap down on the game, poor balance where it's not just tricky, it's a borderline infuriating wall.聽 I still feel that range of grade I was thinking fits, if not it more cements it.

I got roped into it a bit more last night, found the varia suit thankfully and a couple +10 missile pods and 2/4 partial E-tanks(ugh hate they added this zelda mechanic) along with a full one.聽 Trying at this rate to figure where to go now having got that stuff and the wide beam too which helps flush some of the trash out far quicker.

Yeah I agree, the 3DS game suffered the same problem. But it was somehow easier seeing it only had 2 shoulder buttons. The over-reliance on the touch screen was the most irksome, alongside a game that felt repetitive and padded.

I think Dread is streets ahead of Samus Returns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

Yeah I agree, the 3DS game suffered the same problem. But it was somehow easier seeing it only had 2 shoulder buttons. The over-reliance on the touch screen was the most irksome, alongside a game that felt repetitive and padded.

I think Dread is streets ahead of Samus Returns.

Weird I found it worse, 50/50 having more button kung fu to make up for lack of L2/R2 but also the sucky implementation of touching things when you really shouldn't be removing yourself from the actual controls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Weird I found it worse, 50/50 having more button kung fu to make up for lack of L2/R2 but also the sucky implementation of touching things when you really shouldn't be removing yourself from the actual controls.

I absolutely get where you're coming from! There certainly was a nasty bit of buttons kung fu on the 3DS as well.

I'd even argue that almost every Metroid game has had a problem with nailing down the controls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Create New...