IGNORED

Happy 25th birthday Nintendo 64...and IGN for that matter! I played N64 with dormmates day before UK graduation

Estil

Wow can you guys believe the Nintendo 64....and for that matter IGN, is already 25 years old???  And I personally have one very special Nintendo 64 memory...on the night of May 9, 2003, the day before I graduated from UK, some of my dormmates (I was in Blanding 3  Room 208 all four years; RIP Kirwan/Blanding dorms) and I celebrated my graduation by playing Mario Kart 64 and watching Jackass on MTV together! 🙂   I don't suppose any of you got a Nintendo 64 for Christmas 1996 like these kids did? 😄 

• Like 2

n64. the first video game system i bought with my own money. and my first system since the NES.   i keep my retro game systems in the basement, all hooked up to an old console CRT TV. it's amazing. i refuse to move the n64 down there, because it can't be that old. i bought it with my money from working my job. If it goes down to the retro area, what does that say about my own age? So it stays upstairs next to the Switch. 

I bought the N64 the day it came out (I was 19), that was my thing on consoles for every generation from Nintendo to date, almost wasn't anymore thanks to PiiU though. 😄

I remember going to various stores for months in advance after seeing what NP magazine threw out there wanting to experience it for myself.  I'd hope there wasn't a line so I could really crack into Bomb-omb Battlefield or one of the others, depending if it had been reset already or they retained the data.  I'd give it a good 10-15min as long as no one was around to be fair, not a kiosk troll like some people were.  3D games never sold me other than specific sensible genres up to that point because they controlled, camera angled/controlled, and typically also looked like crap.  Mario broke that mold, shattered it, it's why for years after people still used that as a model (if not Ocarina for the lock-on.)

Mario kept me busy for months, because the next two I ended up buying were Cruis'n USA and Star Wars Shadows of the Empire.  Those three games were more than enough until the likes of Mario Kart, Turok, and Blast Corps showed up.  Later into mid 97 came Starfox, Goldeneye, Mischief Makers, Top Gear Rally, Aerofighters, and Bomberman 64.  That's what I had between 1996-97.

After that I did start to grab some games second hand I felt at the time wasn't worth $50.  Robotron 64, Pilotwings, Wave Race, Doom 64, SF Rush and others around some 3-4mo interest droughts at times.  N64 a curse and a treasure, it both made me more into handheld gaming (GB+GBC) at the time, and also multiconsole with NEC's Turbo Duo.

• Like 1

I somewhat did the same.  I had a little better income compared to when the SNES came out so I had the money handy without slacking up too far in advance in buying SNES games and GB was starting a pre-pokemon slump as far as my interests went so I wasn't cleaning my wallet out thankfully.  I had just started going second hand about a year earlier at a local shop and it was cheap so I could wrangle a lot out of $20 in a week if that.  SNES though I really didn't buy much for the NES as far as 1990-91 releases went, some sure, but few, mostly gifts and after the SNES arrived nothing at all.  There were a few nice ones after the fact but nothing to get upset over being timeless really.