IGNORED

Movie Debate #90: The Evil Dead

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

I dont wanna vote and skew this, but I have a weird relationship with this movie.  I don't hate it, I just really really can't get into it, even though I think Bruce Campbell is excellent.  Every few years I try again to watch it and get into it and I just cant and I feel bad about it haha.  Same goes with 2.

It's kinda funny how distinct each entry in the Evil Dead series is, showing its evolution from straight up classic slasher to overt slapstick comedy in its third incarnation, and I wonder how popular it would have remained to day if it never had any sequels. My favourite is definitely the middle step (Evil Dead 2) which captures a bit of both, while itself being so weird you kinda have to see it.

The original movie, though, despite being much less original, is still super well made. Considering this is a genre that normally does absolutely nothing for me, it's pretty impressive how well it captivates me. The monsters/zombies are super well made, and despite being fairly comical they still manage to be creepy and scary. Borderline body horror stuff like pencil in the ankle is incredibly effective and gets me every time.

Also, what's with Ash's unfortunate relationship to falling bookshelves? Those things are just out to get him.

Essentially, a good movie even if the genre isn't for you. It's not a must-watch like the sequels, but it still comes recommended. 7/10

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

7/10 for me. I started with Army of Darkness, so it's tough to go back. I still haven't seen part 2, but I will some day.

Also, Ash vs. Evil Dead is really fantastic if you're are looking for a nice balance between horror and comedy.

Halloween is 3 weeks away. "Some day" is now!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, G-type said:

Season 1 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

Ya gotta see part 2!! It is the perfect mix of the wacky stuff from Army of Darkness and the horror stuff from part 1

45 minutes ago, DK said:

Halloween is 3 weeks away. "Some day" is now!

Now let me shame myself even harder by showing you this picture of the Blu-ray I've owned for six years in front of the projector screen in the movie room in my house. That's how low the barrier is here and I've still not gotten around to it. I'm a bad person.

PXL_20211005_234842254._exported_1011_1633477854568.jpg.49f303860791d6920b8f5c7237db23b0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Now let me shame myself even harder by showing you this picture of the Blu-ray I've owned for six years in front of the projector screen in the movie room in my house. That's how low the barrier is here and I've still not gotten around to it. I'm a bad person.

PXL_20211005_234842254._exported_1011_1633477854568.jpg.49f303860791d6920b8f5c7237db23b0.jpg

Looks like we know what you're watching this Halloween! No excuses.

• Haha 1

I went with a 7/10. Love the movie and what they achieved on such a small budget. There's a great segment on it in the documentary In the Search of Darkness which had some interesting info I never knew about.

I loved Evil Dead 2 more and that would rate around an 8 or 9 for me. I didn't like Army of Darkness though, way too comedy horror for me. I loved the mix of 2 where it was still horror but had some comedy thrown in.

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Evil Dead 2 holds up better in my opinion.

I mean. It aged better 🤪

Are you aware those are two turns of the same phrase?  I think you just unintentionally agreed that some media ages better (aka holds up aka stands the test of time) than others.  😅

Anyway, this is my least favorite of the trilogy.  Unsure if I like 2 or 3 the most though.  I love them both.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Are you aware those are two turns of the same phrase?  I think you just unintentionally agreed that some media ages better (aka holds up aka stands the test of time) better than others.  

It's not like I don't know what "it aged poorly/well" means, it's just that it's inherently incredibly subjective, and almost always a clear substitute for a much more relevant and specific observation.

In this case, "holds up" also applies to a second viewing immediately after the first, while "aged" implies time has changed perception. 🙂 

What's the difference between "2nd" and "3rd" language, though? Genuine question.

Edited by Sumez
  • Confused 1

Events Team · Posted

9.  Historically significant.  (Shut up, Reed.  I do what I want!)  Every horror fan should watch it. 

It took me a while to determine my score.  I prefer Evil Dead 2 but its existence doesn't diminish how great the original is.  It is the quintessential Cabin in the Woods movie.  

I'd give the trilogy overall a 10.  But breaking it down, I'd probably go 9, 9, 10.  I saw Army of Darkness in the theater with my pop and it was the perfect movie at that age and time.  I didn't discover the Evil Deads til a few years later in high school and was thrilled to know the events that lead to AoD.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I finally re-visited the series this year, well my thoughts didn't change much.  While it's a fun series especially with a group of people, it didn't do much for me.  Perhaps the hype around it and the cultural influences (Evil Dead song by Death, Earthworm Jim, Splatterhouse, no less) made my expectations too high haha. 

6/10 for me. Awesome camera work and some of Ash is funny. The first film is probably my choice of the three, but I always seem to lose interest after awhile.

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Sumez said:

What's the difference between "2nd" and "3rd" language, though? Genuine question.

As in, perhaps German or JavaScript is your 2nd language, and English is your 3rd.

I barely made it through Spanish 101, so it wasn't snark.

• Confused 1

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Sumez said:

In this case, "holds up" also applies to a second viewing immediately after the first, while "aged" implies time has changed perception.

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

On rewatching it, a lot of the humor is kinda cringeworthy.

Your difference of opinion from funny to cringe suggests you are (now) viewing the film through a modern day lens.  I wouldn't imagine your taste in comedy would change that much upon an immediate subsequent watch (call it within the same year or so).  It's ok to change your opinions and social values with time.  I'd say it's normal.