IGNORED

Publishing books through Amazon

fcgamer

Has anyone here published their books (ebooks or physical) using Amazon?

I guess for physical books, Amazon does them print on demand.

How's the process, how about the sales? I've got an older friend who wants to publish his book on Amazon, primarily as a Kindle book, though I'll try to get him to do a physical one as well.

As my friend is terrible with modern technology, he offered me about 30% of any profits, if I took the project on and helped him set things up, helped him market it, etc. I think it's a great opportunity, sales or none, just for the experience.

Anyone here use Amazon for publishing before? Thoughts and advice? 

Thanks 👍

My friend published a book on Amazon which I helped edit, and I also helped him through the process. The hardest part is getting the book into a format Amazon will accept, setting up the bindings, artwork for the cover, etc.

He actually paid a company some small amount of money to format it for Amazon, and also paid an artist to make the cover art which was provided (more or less) in the format/sizes they need. I'm sure it can be done on your own, and their tool will tell you if it's not the right size etc. but it can be a pain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khromak said:

My friend published a book on Amazon which I helped edit, and I also helped him through the process. The hardest part is getting the book into a format Amazon will accept, setting up the bindings, artwork for the cover, etc.

He actually paid a company some small amount of money to format it for Amazon, and also paid an artist to make the cover art which was provided (more or less) in the format/sizes they need. I'm sure it can be done on your own, and their tool will tell you if it's not the right size etc. but it can be a pain.

My friend has already published the book locally, exclusive for a local book seller here, but the exclusivity period has expired and my friend rebought the publishing rights do he can publish his book to a larger audience, abroad. So he has all the art and everything done 🙂

17 hours ago, fcgamer said:

My friend has already published the book locally, exclusive for a local book seller here, but the exclusivity period has expired and my friend rebought the publishing rights do he can publish his book to a larger audience, abroad. So he has all the art and everything done 🙂

Then the formatting will be the most annoying part!

I had to have a friend help with the cover because my visual art skills are crap, but otherwise it was fairly simple to get everything done.  

I never made much money, but it was more about the sense of accomplishment.  If your friend is really pushing it and doing his own marketing he might be able to do well locally.  You buy all your own copies at cost and then re-sell them for profit.  

40 minutes ago, Rhapsody98 said:

Then the formatting will be the most annoying part!

I had to have a friend help with the cover because my visual art skills are crap, but otherwise it was fairly simple to get everything done.  

I never made much money, but it was more about the sense of accomplishment.  If your friend is really pushing it and doing his own marketing he might be able to do well locally.  You buy all your own copies at cost and then re-sell them for profit.  

My friend wants to market in the West, the book's in both English and Chinese, I think he's got all he's gonna get from the local market.

For him, I think establishing his legacy / creating a reputation is most important, I don't think he needs the money.