IGNORED

Is it just me or does modern hip hop suck?

attakid101

If I said the rappers that I'd consider my favourites of all time I'd be ostracized to hell and back. 😄 Though as far as current rappers that are keeping the original vision alive, Kendrick Lamar never disappoints. Tyler, The Creator's a really good introductory person as well for any of you wanting to listen to rap but are deterred from the provocative figures. 

Edited by NZCollector

23 hours ago, twiztor said:

you can't leave us with that tease.....now you gotta tell us!

Haha okay. Kanye West, Playboi Carti, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B (sorry to disappoint, Tyler) Travis Scott and Drake are some of my favourites. Don't say I didn't warn ya, I'm one of the youngest people on this site. 😆

There's a new-ish rapper I -think- started out as an ironic joke-type person, Yung Gravy, that is fantastic too. 

Edited by NZCollector

6 hours ago, NZCollector said:

Haha okay. Kanye West, Playboi Carti, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B (sorry to disappoint, Tyler) Travis Scott and Drake are some of my favourites. Don't say I didn't warn ya, I'm one of the youngest people on this site. 😆

There's a new-ish rapper I -think- started out as an ironic joke-type person, Yung Gravy, that is fantastic too. 

Wow. You actually managed to do worse than Hammer and the Iceman. Oh how I weep for the future

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2019 at 1:12 AM, NZCollector said:

At the risk of disappointing and further invalidating my stances, they're both well before my time. 😆 Even though I'll be 20 next year. 

Oh boy did you miss out!  And BTW, Ice was not a "one hit wonder", he was a TWO hit wonder!  His moment of fame might not have lasted very long but he sure made sure he'd be forever immortalized just the same!

And of course who could forget MC Hammer?  Check out all the neat athlete cameos in his Too Legit to Quit...though Canseco and Clemens and McGwire weren't quite as legit as we thought...

Edited by Estil

36 minutes ago, Estil said:

Oh boy did you miss out!  And BTW, Ice was not a "one hit wonder", he was a TWO hit wonder!  His moment of fame might not have lasted very long but he sure made sure he'd be forever immortalized just the same!

And of course who could forget MC Hammer?  Check out all the neat athlete cameos in his Too Legit to Quit...though Canseco and Clemens and McGwire weren't quite as legit as we thought...

From very briefly looking at the Vanilla Ice movie and MC Hammer animated series, it isn't hard to see why they're seen as predominantly bad. 

Basically, in an era where hip hop was still a more underground and real art form that actually had meaning, interesting musical ideas including some collaborations with jazz legends, lyrical and rhythmic skill, and was generally just more raw and real, Ice and Hammer were more or less saccharine pop musicians that wore hip hop as a costume to capitalize on a trend and did nothing to contribute to the legacy of or progress the genre. Thus the problem with the ones you’d listed above. They have more in common with the likes of Britney Spears than the likes of KRS-ONE or Rakim.

RE: Ice and Hammer, here’s Bill Hicks to explain 

warning: vulgar

Edited by MachineCode
Added warning

• 2 weeks later...