Jump to content
IGNORED

1.25 Years later, my thoughts & questions on my first WATA submission.


retro.magnus
 Share

Recommended Posts

This order was submitted (via Select) the first week of June, 2020. I received it yesterday. Overall, I'm glad I finally received my games back after waiting so long. I won't be going into the craziness of their turnaround times as we've all talked about that ad nauseam, unfortunately.

1. Various hairs, dirt, specs of cardboard in the cases & writing on the outside of one case.

  • Hair in cases. I only took the two that stand out the most. (pics 1-2)
  • Writing on case. It looks like an ink pen. I will be able to get it off, so not a huge deal.. (pic 3)

2. Grading inconsistencies. There are a few games that I really question the accuracy of the grades given. Some games pictured received a lot higher of a grade than I thought they would. If anyone has any thoughts on if you agree/disagree with the grades, that would be awesome!

  • Metal Walker GBC, 8.5 A+. The front left side of the box is dented in. (pics 1-4)
  • Blackthorne GBA, 8.5 A. Multiple dents & creases. Bottom of X Fold box is folding in (pics 5-10)
  • Bomberman Max: Red Challenger, 9.6 A. Multiple corner dents (pics 11-16)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


@epiczail, good post.

Similar experience.  The one game I submitted to Wata, around May of 2019 I believe, arrived back with a pretty scuffed case.  The scuffing is on the INSIDE surface of the case which I thought was odd.  What I’m referring is in the image attached around and below the title. They did offer to replace, but I didn’t want to pay for shipping and wait months again to get it back.  The grade for mine though for pretty spot on, IMO.

First impressions are a powerful thing. Not too big on grading games to begin with, but I won’t send them anything again.  I only have 2 graded games, and if I do anymore it’ll be with VGA or VGG (yup, I said VGG 🙂 )

This isn’t a big value title, but it is one of my absolute faves from childhood. 

 

002AF5CE-4E41-4FA5-956B-DD5FDA1D6331.jpeg

Edited by NesQuest
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@epiczail, thanks for that!

If I was a reviewer, I would give that an epic fail!

15 months for a return of a graded game is just too slow. That is a massive no-no if I was a consumer. 

Hair, not 1 but 2 examples?

The 2 GBC games with 8.5 score, I think this is part of the subjective score where 1 bigger, obvious flaw might equal to several lesser, less obvious flaws.

The big disappointment for me is the 9.6 grade with the box having several corner creases. If 9.8 is supposed to be the gold standard, then 9.6 should be just a minor flaw that is hard to pick up from a quick glance. It really diminishes the effect of a 9.8 score, if you have a 9.6 grade like that one. That is certainly a good grade for you, but as a potential consumer, that isn’t what I want to see if I’m into high-grade collecting.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, epiczail said:

This order was submitted (via Select) the first week of June, 2020. I received it yesterday. Overall, I'm glad I finally received my games back after waiting so long. I won't be going into the craziness of their turnaround times as we've all talked about that ad nauseam, unfortunately.

1. Various hairs, dirt, specs of cardboard in the cases & writing on the outside of one case.

  • Hair in cases. I only took the two that stand out the most. (pics 1-2)
  • Writing on case. It looks like an ink pen. I will be able to get it off, so not a huge deal.. (pic 3)

2. Grading inconsistencies. There are a few games that I really question the accuracy of the grades given. Some games pictured received a lot higher of a grade than I thought they would. If anyone has any thoughts on if you agree/disagree with the grades, that would be awesome!

  • Metal Walker GBC, 8.5 A+. The front left side of the box is dented in. (pics 1-4)
  • Blackthorne GBA, 8.5 A. Multiple dents & creases. Bottom of X Fold box is folding in (pics 5-10)
  • Bomberman Max: Red Challenger, 9.6 A. Multiple corner dents (pics 11-16)

8.5 is usually one big flaw (like a crease that drags all the way on one side) or 3-5 small flaws so these arent that bad i think.

For the 9.6 i agree it seems a little forgiving and looks more like a 9.2 or 9.4 to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LifeGame said:

8.5 is usually one big flaw (like a crease that drags all the way on one side) or 3-5 small flaws so these arent that bad i think.

For the 9.6 i agree it seems a little forgiving and looks more like a 9.2 or 9.4 to me.

Awesome, good to know. What I thought an 8.5 was def wasn't what that Metal Walker looks like haha. I at least knew that 9.6 was quite a bit off. I would've guessed 9.0 or 9.2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, epiczail said:

2. Grading inconsistencies. There are a few games that I really question the accuracy of the grades given. Some games pictured received a lot higher of a grade than I thought they would. If anyone has any thoughts on if you agree/disagree with the grades, that would be awesome!

  • Metal Walker GBC, 8.5 A+. The front left side of the box is dented in. (pics 1-4)
  • Blackthorne GBA, 8.5 A. Multiple dents & creases. Bottom of X Fold box is folding in (pics 5-10)
  • Bomberman Max: Red Challenger, 9.6 A. Multiple corner dents (pics 11-16)

This is honestly my biggest complaint. Their service is fine and some of my games have received well deserved grades. However, I have a Mega Man Zero 2 on GBA with edge/corner wear and a very obvious seal tear near the top edge on the front, that received a 9.6 A+. I have other games that, by the same standard, should be 10 A+ or 9.8 A+/A++, as they also received 9.6 A+/A++ but are likely 90/90+ or higher on VGA's scale.

I'm happy you got your games back! I get the feeling Wata is quite swamped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, inasuma said:

This is honestly my biggest complaint. Their service is fine and some of my games have received well deserved grades. However, I have a Mega Man Zero 2 on GBA with edge/corner wear and a very obvious seal tear near the top edge on the front, that received a 9.6 A+. I have other games that, by the same standard, should be 10 A+ or 9.8 A+/A++, as they also received 9.6 A+/A++ but are likely 90/90+ or higher on VGA's scale.

I'm happy you got your games back! I get the feeling Wata is quite swamped.

Mine as well. I originally submitted with them because I think their cases are significantly better than VGA (or any of these other new players in the space). It's just disheartening to spend chunks of money and almost a year and a half waiting to get them back to still not even trust them. While, yes, it's nice to have higher grades than I would've thought... I honestly think I'd rather them come back lower so some semblance of trust would be built. 

I've been contemplating sending multiple other orders in since I sent this order in but haven't because I wanted to at least get one order back before giving them more money to hold my valuables hostage forever. If they would've delivered even remotely on time and had been consistent, they would have a lot more of my money. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, OptOut said:

WATA is apparently hiring dogs to grade their games, at least from what it seems with all the hairs all over the place! 🤣

season 8 episode 10 GIF

The significant lack of QC, combined with how long everything is taking them realllllly makes me wonder what the fuck they are doing with all the money I know they have been making. Probably buying more Atari games and SM64's to horde while they inflate those prices. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NesQuest said:


@epiczail, good post.

Similar experience.  The one game I submitted to Wata, around May of 2019 I believe, arrived back with a pretty scuffed case.  The scuffing is on the INSIDE surface of the case which I thought was odd.  What I’m referring is in the image attached around and below the title. They did offer to replace, but I didn’t want to pay for shipping and wait at least another 8 months to get it back.  The grade for mine though for pretty spot on, IMO.

First impressions are a powerful thing. Not too big on grading games to begin with, but I won’t send them anything again.  I only have 2 graded games, and if I do anymore it’ll be with VGA or VGG (yup, I said VGG 🙂 )

This isn’t a big value title, but it is one of my absolute faves from childhood. 

 

002AF5CE-4E41-4FA5-956B-DD5FDA1D6331.jpeg

I've seen several games that had scuffing on the inner casing. It is rather distracting considering that its main purpose is to be displayed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, epiczail said:

If they would've delivered even remotely on time and had been consistent, they would have a lot more of my money. 

bingo. can't say i want to submit any more after my current speedrun comes back. expecting it around feb at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...