IGNORED

1st console you owned?

Nintegageo

I was actually just pondering this and realized it has several answers and one I am not sure I'd recognized.

So to explain, the 1st one that I owned was the GameBoy so it is a handheld. It was a present along with Yoshi. I played so many games thanks to friends and fam. Honestly, I adore this console.

My 2nd answer is the SNES, though it was a Christmas present that was given to my sister and I so not sure it counts. This is my jam! Greatest console.

The last console was the one I hadn't considered. One Christmas my dad and I saw a Game Gear in a pawn shop and I mentioned that as a present. He didn't want to purchase it with me there so he went to the store some other night and it was sold. He did see a Genesis though and thus that has a legit claim as well.

What was your 1st console? How does it rank in your console history?

• Like 1

The NES was both the first game system I owned and played. It was, is, and always will be my favorite video game system. Not even because of nostalgia, but because Super Mario Bros. 1-3, Mega Man 1-6, Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads, StarTropics, Batman, and the Ninja Turtles games are so good they're hard to top. Even Super Mario World and Mega Man X aren't as good as the NES games in my opinion (I also like the original Mega Man series more than the X series).

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

The first console that I got that was all mine was the N64. We had an NES and SNES in the house but they were for the family. The N64 was the first console that was definitely all mine. 

It was December 96 and I got Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire along side the console. Such a sick memory. 

• Like 1

My first console was an Atari 2600 (Vader). My mom bought it at a garage sale with a bunch of games super cheap in the mid 80's. I was actually kind of sad when she gave it away to the Salvation Army once I got my NES a few years later.

I re-bought a Vader a couple of years ago and have most of my childhood games now. 

• Like 3

The first console I ever owned was the NES, gifted Christmas of 1985.  Technically though, it was co-owner with my brother, so I had no dominion over usage annoyingly.  I don't consider handhelds consoles, so despite same holiday but 1989 for Gameboy, my first actual console I truly owned for myself was the SNES.

When I bought that at launch day was fun given it wasn't supposed to be bought, but again a Christmas gift.  I had my mom go get the thing so it was a rare known gift to be situation, but I flipped out realizing I hadn't bought any NES or GB games in awhile.  Because of douchy grifter behavior(like we see now on games) having priced me out of baseball cards that year, and mostly out of comics(out in 92) I had lots saved in a few places (random shelf, kids wallet, mostly in a hard wood/metal postal box safe.  I ravaged the room as she left, used a calculator knowing what was needed down to the penny.  When she returned, she had no clue, but I had it, and then some which is pretty solid for 1991 and being 14.  I more or less tossed it at her, I still remember the amount too which maybe a bit crazy ($216.50) and it went right to my room.  A solid two weeks of work, 100% cleared Super Mario World, then got to getting more starting with ActRaiser and Gradius III.  That money blown on it there, got me a nice stash of real gems for Christmas that year. 😄

• Like 1

I was born in 1991. It's all fuzzy and I don't know the exact order, but here's my best guess:

1. Game Boy Pocket (red), hand-me-down? No idea how I got it or where it went.
  2. Uncle gave me his old NES, I nearly cried on the ride home, to this day the sight of random NES carts in an old cardboard box makes me happy in a weird, visceral way.
  3. SNES for Christmas in 97 or 98, I think. Came with SMW and All Stars on separate carts. Played the hell out of them both. I still have my original All Stars cart, not sure about the others.
  4. Game Boy Color (atomic purple), I remember picking it out, along with a handful of games at Wal-Mart. I still have it and it's one of my most cherished gaming items.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I am 95% sure it was a 7800 ProSystem and up to a couple of weeks ago it would have been 100%. Now I am wondering if I did not get my Action Max first.

After that would be NES third, Lynx fourth, and Genesis fifth. At this point I cannot remember when I started getting older systems. The first system I ever played was my cousin's Vader which she later gave me sometime in the '90s.

• Like 1