IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Thunder and Lightning!

BeaIank

43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@docile tapeworm, slide me up a couple spots on that unofficial board. New score on page 3. Also, 'nintendo junkie' > 'i love nes a lot' - first instinct was superior

I think I could slide up a couple more spots if I could find time this weekend, but family in town so im probably screwed

ya i was trying to get creative but some are just lazy and cringe 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I've been trying all week and peaked at 48k. I don't know how these scores are possible.

You get big bonuses for clearing levels. I think I got to level 12 on my current score run. Its just about surviving and getting to the next screen. And as you noted in your level 3 comment about the upgrades, they are paramount. I crossed the line of struggling to get to 50k to getting there without losing a life once I figured out how to get items pretty regularly. If you don't get those upgrades, its a long, slow, boring grind that doesn't yield much other than frustration. 

Edited by NESfiend

4 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:
5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@docile tapeworm, slide me up a couple spots on that unofficial board. New score on page 3. Also, 'nintendo junkie' > 'i love nes a lot' - first instinct was superior

I think I could slide up a couple more spots if I could find time this weekend, but family in town so im probably screwed

ya i was trying to get creative but some are just lazy and cringe 

Case in point, I'm now "Rubarb" lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I've been trying all week and peaked at 48k. I don't know how these scores are possible.

Do whatever it takes to hit the sub/ufo/airplane as much as possible for as many power-up drops as you can get.

Be willing to sacrifice a good power-up for another that is more appropriate to a given situation.

Learn to aim.  This seems to be more of an art form than an exact science...

Figure out the nature of the enemies/helpers - octopus, cloud warrior, bird etc. as best you can and which power-ups/strategies to utilize in dealing with or avoiding them.  Cloud warrior for example can be helpful or a roight bazturd.

Figure out the best way to begin each level.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned