IGNORED

Fake Dragon Fighter (NES) on Ebay

Ninja Warriors

Just now, the_wizard_666 said:

In fairness to Nintendo though, a LOT of those accessories flopped in Japan.  Why would they want to go to the effort to making them for the American market if they didn't think they'd make money off it?  I know ROB is gonna be brought up as a counterpoint, but that doesn't count - although it had a slim chance of success, it was something that could (and did) sell systems due to it's uniqueness.  When they're trying to come into a dying market and sell a console, they needed something drastically different.  But if the NES was already in America when ROB was released in Japan, I guarantee they wouldn't have brought it over here.

I know, but it just seemed like they didn't even try anything new in the North American market. Like Japan is the test bed, and North America is the "safe" zone.

I get why they do it, I just think it's weird.

Just now, Tulpa said:

I know, but it just seemed like they didn't even try anything new in the North American market. Like Japan is the test bed, and North America is the "safe" zone.

I get why they do it, I just think it's weird.

I don't think America was considered a "safe" zone.  It was their biggest market, sure, but their draconian policies about what could be released here were them ensuring that they didn't lose a large, yet extremely fragile, market. 

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't think America was considered a "safe" zone.  It was their biggest market, sure, but their draconian policies about what could be released here were them ensuring that they didn't lose a large, yet extremely fragile, market. 

"Safe" in the sense that only "safe" products were released.

Like I said, I get why they do it, but I'll still call it a stodgy strategy. 😛

11 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

"Safe" products like the Power Glove, or Power Pad?

Power Glove was Mattel. Nintendo had no risk in that one. It was a cool idea, it just didn't work as well as was hoped.

Power Pad was in Japan first. I dunno, maybe their research didn't point to a typical gamer being a sedentary fatass yet. 😛 Again, Bandai developed it. Nintendo just had to repackage and release it to see what happened.

Edited by Tulpa

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Power Glove was Mattel. Nintendo had no risk in that one.

Power Pad was in Japan first. I dunno, maybe their research didn't yet point to a typical gamer being a sedentary fatass yet. 😛

Mattel didn't make it, only distributed it.  But yeah, it wasn't a Nintendo designed product, just a licensed one.  Bad example on my part.  I was thrown off by the Mattel logo, which was the Canadian distributor for Nintendo at the time, and their logo was on ALL Nintendo published items at the time of the Power Pad's release.  The Power Pad, on the other hand, was a marketing ploy by Nintendo.  While it was reasonably successful in Japan, Nintendo only wanted it so that when people said video games were causing laziness in kids, Nintendo could argue that they were pushing a product to combat that issue.  In that regard, the pad wasn't for kids, it was to convince the parents that it wasn't a harmful toy.

19 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Untested but yet there is a pic of it running.  lol

I pointed that out too, and apparently somebody asked them about it, to which they replied that it was a screenshot from somebody else's YouTube video.  As if that doesn't up the sketch factor 10,000% or anything, lol.

8 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The connector on the NES itself never deviated from 72 pins, either.

That makes sense though.  Why modify it if it could potentially cause issues with older carts.  Better to keep it as is.  Also left it open for them to potentially use the port again later on, as they could simply manufacture boards with the necessary pins again.