IGNORED

"The Dreamer Collection"

Gulag Joe

12 hours ago, AdamW said:

Still, if a game is rare enough that an 8.5 of it is worth a ton of money, if a 9.8 of it surfaced, you can bet it'd be worth an even larger ton of money...

I don’t think you have anyone here arguing that grades 9+ are worth more than 8+. But the price range varies from title to title, to varying demands, and how the pop data evolves into the future. Basically, there are no possible way you can summarise a formula to fit all items. I think we can agree on this? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for all the input from everyone, its been a lot of help as GVC's are just in a much less refined era in comparison to a very old & mature market like comics ( it's clear there are no  concrete set of rules as of yet). I had sincerely hoped I could make a run on this game as it has a lot of sentimental value to me and honestly I was kind of hoping PS1 games were a bit less sought after at this stage of the hobby ( boy was I wrong) It's quite clear this game in this condition is genuinely a rare hard to find grail and after being here and on a few other sites it's also very clear nobody has a real handle on where this is going to hammer out at. I have my safe $$$ number and I am going to throw my hat in on the last day but the reality is I think I am way off and don't expect to win this beauty. All the input here has been fantastic and regardless of winning this or not I am stoked to watch the auction & whoever lands this bad boy ( regardless of what the final number is)  they will own one bad MF of a historic game imho.

Edited by madmozz
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Was watching the recent Karl Jobst video and remembered this thread when he mentioned the Dreamer Collection.  It was interesting re-reading this thread and the various takes on prices after seeing the Resident Evil in the original post specifically had sold for $264,000 in 2021, then sold just a bit ago for $38,400. 

Times have definitely changed in only a couple years.

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

Like 38k was a good price lol

agreed. everything is still 10x overpriced.... so is this the dump part of pump and dump? to pump 100x and dump at 10x?

I just imagine someone standing in front of 20oz of gold and resident evil (a 1k price charting game) and they choose RE🤣😂

looking at ebay.... the most recent highest comps  auctions are zelda 1 at 20k,  duck hunt early print 10k, drac x snes 8k .....................

it makes no sense

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

The one thing I have to say about all of this is I do not think the video game collecting (and even for high-end items, potentially graded) has burst.  What's burst is the Wata/HA bubble.

Specifically, the evil wizards at Heritage Auction have long had the ears of people with deep pockets who probably look down at eBay.  To me, I could see there being a class of people that see buying from eBay like buying at Target.  These more wealthy types wouldn't be caught in a store with esteem less than a Neihmann-Marcus and even then, that's on a rare case need.

So, Halperin worked with Deniz to build a racket and push games to the uber-wealthy.  These fools and their money were easily parted.  Some basket ball player (or whoever it was) now feels validated owning "the best, original copy of SM64 in existence!" and he can show it off to all of his bajillionaire friends who don't read the news but also love to buy expensive things.  Is it a lie and sham?  Yes.

The people that got burned were those people that were on that lower end of the upper-class spectrum and decided to sink 10s to 100s of thousands in games because they are both fun and investing your money your setting always sounds good.  Well, they got duped.

The rest of us that look for nice CIBs, super-rare variants, prototypes and other niche things are now seeing a cooling of the markets because the Wata bubble did inflate the entire market because it gave it attention.  However, these lesser items (in the mind of the high-end buyer) aren't seeing drops as much as these items inflated by false-pretenses.

I mean, IMHO, a CIB left SMB3 (which I tried to buy riiiiight before the bubble) is still pretty pricey compared to 2019.  I don't ever see it going down much.  Those important titles that are CIB and in great shape will always be pricey.  Not $10k each pricey, but still, worth more than comparable games that have no historical meaning to the masses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

yeah that's what i was thinking. prices went sky high for a while, then they went back down, but still much much higher than just before the beginning of the grading craze. so everyone gets tricked into thinking the prices of today are ok.

let's see where prices go from here on. i wouldn't care about grading prices if they didn't affect sealed and cib prices. and loose too? dunno.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

ears of people with deep pockets who probably look down at eBay.  To me, I could see there being a class of people that see buying from eBay like buying at Target.  These more wealthy types wouldn't be caught in a store with esteem less than a Neihmann-Marcus and even then, that's on a rare case need.

the games might have been chosen because they have 0 ebay comps so it would be believable

that's for rare titles.

for something like mario 64 to send a 9.8A++

but from my experience selling ultra mint the buyers ask for 1,000,000,000 megapixel 100 photos for each corner

and they post ----far away--- super bright -- washed out the details ----- pics

it doesnt make sense

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

To be fair, gold is a bad investment with little to no room for growth. Better of buying shares of the S&P500

ya i agree with that. but actually both are like that

s&p 500??????

isnt that what all the boomers are holding ? im going to wait for the price to correct on that one

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

1 hour ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

ya i agree with that. but actually both are like that

s&p 500??????

isnt that what all the boomers are holding ? im going to wait for the price to correct on that one

If it is then they're winning big

"S&P 500: $100 in 2000 → $479.64 in 2023

This is a return on investment of 379.64%, or 6.90% per year. This lump-sum investment beats inflation during this period for an inflation-adjusted return of about 168.35% cumulatively, or 4.29% per year."

Sealed games have all risen and I think it's a terrible investment strategy. Still, I can't deny that they were criminally undervalued for a long time. The rise we saw isn't sustainable but I don't think they'll ever go back to being undervalued until I'm a boomer. 

23 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

until I'm a boomer. 

not possibel! they are the most unique generation to ever exist by being the biggest and fastest growth

billionaire class probably has .0000001% video game collectors. little bit less in the millionaire class. guaranteed to flip on its head

Have you ever talked to a boomer? they give you 25 cents for mowing the lawn (worth atleast 25 dollars! 100x value) i'd imagine all those s&p portfolios have credit cards taken out on the principle

they say stuff like 'pokemans' and 'u should get off that video game and join a dance club. back in my day we rode RVs to the concert

bulk of your S&P 500 holders

too much listening to harry wrinkles. he's trying to unload his portfolio

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

On 11/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, xelement5x said:

Was watching the recent Karl Jobst video and remembered this thread when he mentioned the Dreamer Collection.  It was interesting re-reading this thread and the various takes on prices after seeing the Resident Evil in the original post specifically had sold for $264,000 in 2021, then sold just a bit ago for $38,400. 

Times have definitely changed in only a couple years.

I agree. But I also had urges to say "Those are hype prices!" just because there are tons of people who act like their assumptions are concluded facts, with any facts they overlooked just being a waste of their time.

Which turned out to be a sad move for them. But I guess that is what happens when people choose to be impatient. 😅

I was thinking about it a bit more and I also wonder if the most recent sales were done in terms of taking investment losses against other gains for the year.  I don't have first hand experience to know how all the rich people do it to make it more efficient, but sometimes it's more worthwhile to lose the money instead of paying taxes on profits they made on other things if they can. 

Not sure if this is what the deep pocketed people do, or if this even classifies as an investment though.  😆

10 hours ago, xelement5x said:

I was thinking about it a bit more and I also wonder if the most recent sales were done in terms of taking investment losses against other gains for the year.  I don't have first hand experience to know how all the rich people do it to make it more efficient, but sometimes it's more worthwhile to lose the money instead of paying taxes on profits they made on other things if they can. 

Not sure if this is what the deep pocketed people do, or if this even classifies as an investment though.  😆

Only if it puts you into a lower tax bracket. Otherwise you're losing thousands of dollars to make back 30% of that loss in tax.

If it drops you to a bracket with 6% lower tax, that 6% applies to everything and could be a huge savings.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...