IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Nekketsu Street Basket

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, we are BACK with the last round of games of our beloved VGS NES Weekly Contest!

To decide who will wear the laurels and claim the fame of being the 2021 VGS NES Weekly Contest Sports champion, we have one epic game of brutal action, where basketball meets street brawling!

ARE YOU READY FOR Nekketsu Street Basketball?

The rules are below:

• Pick battle mode (2nd option in the game)
  • Pick 1P mode
  • Pick Nekketsu as your team (first team in the screen)
  • Pick US Navy as your opponent (second team in the screen)
  • Pick the VEGAS stage to play on (second stage to the left, with the slot machines icon)
  • Take your picture at the end of the match.
  • Highest score difference for the Nekketsu team wins
  • Participation: Beat the second team

26_Nekketsu_Street_Basket_Sage.png.fbd72

@0xDEAFC0DEhas a very comfortable 4 points lead over @NESfiend, who is the only who can challenge him for the Sports title this year.
For Nesfiend to win, he needs to win this week and hope @0xDEAFC0DE doesn't score over 6th place, since he will be tied on most wins, but loses on the 2nd tie breaker, most 2nd places.
Will he be able to pull such a miracle to claim the crown? Time will tell!

The contest ends Sunday, 09/26/21 at midnight Brasilia time. Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

On the plus side, I know it's entirely doable on this stage.  It's just a matter of luck really. 

If you could go ahead and find 5 other people who find it entirely doable and make sure you and all of them get it done by sunday, that would be great. Barring that, Ill go ahead and congratulate deaf on winning sports cat now and just try to salvage second. Well deserved win my friend

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

If you could go ahead and find 5 other people who find it entirely doable and make sure you and all of them get it done by sunday, that would be great. Barring that, Ill go ahead and congratulate deaf on winning sports cat now and just try to salvage second. Well deserved win my friend

Well, according to the FAQ for the game, the Vegas level awards points differently based on the slot machine in the background.  So with good luck, the same number of baskets on a 60 point game could potentially put you at a 200 point game.  Just a matter of luck.

A big tip I found is to basically just beat the piss out of the other team with your player and let the computer do the work.  Each of the various settings pre-game are essentially saying what your commands to the AI are with and without the ball.  Hit right twice and the A button with the ball is to tell him to shoot high.  The top basket is worth more points.  Hit B to tell him to shoot if the enemies are near him, but if he's clear, aim high as much as possible.  If the CPU player is set to either Kunio or the other good one (can't remember offhand), then he'll make the shot more often than not, and with some slot luck the points will rack up.  It's definitely possible to get a good score with minimal effort, just gotta be lucky.

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, according to the FAQ for the game, the Vegas level awards points differently based on the slot machine in the background.  So with good luck, the same number of baskets on a 60 point game could potentially put you at a 200 point game.  Just a matter of luck.

NGL, for my 177 score I kept resetting until I got a triple 7 on the first basket. The other games I played and the rest of that game had pretty average luck on the slots.

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

A big tip I found is to basically just beat the piss out of the other team with your player and let the computer do the work.  Each of the various settings pre-game are essentially saying what your commands to the AI are with and without the ball.  Hit right twice and the A button with the ball is to tell him to shoot high.  The top basket is worth more points.  Hit B to tell him to shoot if the enemies are near him, but if he's clear, aim high as much as possible.  If the CPU player is set to either Kunio or the other good one (can't remember offhand), then he'll make the shot more often than not, and with some slot luck the points will rack up.  It's definitely possible to get a good score with minimal effort, just gotta be lucky.

Huh, this is very different then my strategy.

32 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

NGL, for my 177 score I kept resetting until I got a triple 7 on the first basket. The other games I played and the rest of that game had pretty average luck on the slots.

Huh, this is very different then my strategy.

I also suck at the game, so it's easier to let the computer do the work for me 😛

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I also suck at the game, so it's easier to let the computer do the work for me 😛

What was that bit again about me not having the skills 😝

Although, TBF that didn't stop me from peaking at the code a bit to see how the slot machine was implemented. But don't worry, it's not manipulatable. The randomness updates every second frame, making it nearly impossible to hit the same seed.

• Like 1