IGNORED

Blue disc PS2 game troubles

AstralSoul

I never realized that certain PS2 games have a blue back instead of silver, and even then I never realized it made a difference whether they play or not on certain PS2 models. So I've been doing research and experimenting, it seems that a lot of the early PS2 releases were blue discs then switched over to silver. I used to own a PS2 slim which I actually never had a problem running any disc and never realized which ones were blue or silver so I never thought anything of it. However when my PS2 slim stopped working I got a fat PS2 model because I like the look better. I hooked it up to my HDTV via component cable and encountered another problem - that not every game works on component so that's yet another issue. But again never would have thought blue discs had issues on fat ps2 models. I've read to put masking tape on the disc to give the disc more weight so it reads better but I don't want to do that as it looks and feels like a crappy solution. I've also read to stand the PS2 up which worked once or twice for me but it's a crapshoot and is not reliable. 

My question after this whole rant is basically is there not a better solution to this? I am debating buying another PS2 slim so it can read all discs and keeping it hooked up to my tube TV so I can play games that need composite, and my fat ps2 hooked to my HDTV with component for the games that work with component. If most blue disc ones were early or launch titles and the fat ps2's were the ones giving them issues, how did people play those launch games back then? It's a bit confusing as Ive never had this problem with any other console. Sure the easy solution is just to ditch the fat model and just use the slim with the tube TV like I've been doing for the last decade and a half. But I've collecting for all playstation systems a lot the last year or two and I really would like to have all the original models in use.

First world problems, I know, but I'm more confused than anything and I am curious of anyone else has these issues and how they solved them.

• Like 1

The blue ones are CD games and the silver ones are DVD.  All original model PS2 systems should play both, but early systems tended to have problems reading discs as time went on.  I hear it's a pretty common problem, but not all of them have it.  I've had several original model ones and never had a problem with them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Blue discs were games on CD-ROM, whereas the silver discs were DVD-ROMs. That's why most of the blue discs were early releases, bit there were actually quite a few all through the console's lifespan, like Gradius V for instance.

The issue with blue discs usually has to do with the fact that they are lighter than the DVDs, and the disc drive has trouble gripping the disc properly. That's why the tape trick works for some, as it adds just enough weight to the disc. I've read that adding a bit of tape around the inside of the center hole works as well. What works for me is simply standing the console up on its side.

The issue didn't exist originally, but I remember it didn't take long for the issue to start happening on my console back in the day. Keep in mind, that every time a disc goes through one of those buffering machines, it's going to weigh a tiny bit less. If you're finding used games, it's pretty likely they've been through quite a few hands at this point.

• Like 2

It's just such a strange thing. Doesn't seem like there's any permanent fix. Interesting though I didn't know the blue discs were CDs vs DVDs for the others. What's really interesting though is aren't PS1 CDs also? How come I've never had trouble with any PS1 game being played on PS2 but I have trouble with CD based PS2 games? Just seems like a strange oversight on their part.

• Like 1

You mention compatibility and "oversight", but the majority of the problems you are talking about are coming from aged equipment.  You can't refer to a 20 year old system that isn't working properly as a design oversight.  Video game consoles are not designed to last that long.  It's great that many of them do anyways, but honestly, we shouldn't be surprised when these things start to break down over time. 

With that said, video game consoles breaking down in the early years of the system life (PS3 / Xbox360) are an entirely different story.  That is completely unacceptable.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

You mention compatibility and "oversight", but the majority of the problems you are talking about are coming from aged equipment.  You can't refer to a 20 year old system that isn't working properly as a design oversight.  Video game consoles are not designed to last that long.  It's great that many of them do anyways, but honestly, we shouldn't be surprised when these things start to break down over time. 

I guess when they made the systems they weren't thinking that far ahead...

On 9/15/2021 at 9:28 PM, cj_robot said:

Blue discs were games on CD-ROM, whereas the silver discs were DVD-ROMs. That's why most of the blue discs were early releases, bit there were actually quite a few all through the console's lifespan, like Gradius V for instance.

The issue with blue discs usually has to do with the fact that they are lighter than the DVDs, and the disc drive has trouble gripping the disc properly. That's why the tape trick works for some, as it adds just enough weight to the disc. I've read that adding a bit of tape around the inside of the center hole works as well. What works for me is simply standing the console up on its side.

The issue didn't exist originally, but I remember it didn't take long for the issue to start happening on my console back in the day. Keep in mind, that every time a disc goes through one of those buffering machines, it's going to weigh a tiny bit less. If you're finding used games, it's pretty likely they've been through quite a few hands at this point.

I've had this problem with PS1 games.  I think they might be a little thinner or something.  I think I took mine apart and put some tape on the top spindle cone or something.

20 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

With that said, video game consoles breaking down in the early years of the system life (PS3 / Xbox360) are an entirely different story.  That is completely unacceptable.  

Well I wasn't sure if this was an issue back when PS2 was new or if it has become a more recent problem. I never had a fat PS2 til recently and I wasn't even aware of blue discs being any different than silver ones til recently either. I call it an oversight because blue discs were early releases and the systems that seem to have the problem running them are early PS2s so it just seems to me that it's plausible that it was a design flaw that was fixed with PS2 slims and not longer using CDs for games.

1 hour ago, AstralSoul said:

Well I wasn't sure if this was an issue back when PS2 was new or if it has become a more recent problem. I never had a fat PS2 til recently and I wasn't even aware of blue discs being any different than silver ones til recently either. I call it an oversight because blue discs were early releases and the systems that seem to have the problem running them are early PS2s so it just seems to me that it's plausible that it was a design flaw that was fixed with PS2 slims and not longer using CDs for games.

It's just weird to me that you would continue to call it an "oversight" after it's been explained to you that it wasn't.  But you do you.