IGNORED

Are we in the last years of Atari/NES collecting era?

obnoxious

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Atari people think Atari was the foundation of home gaming, NES people think NES was the foundation of home gaming, SNES people think SNES is where “games really started to get good”, (N64 people… ???).  The cycle goes on.

N64 was when real games started coming out. And by real I mean 3D. No-one plays your weird pixel jumpy games, old timer.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, AdamW said:

N64 was when real games started coming out. And by real I mean 3D. No-one plays your weird pixel jumpy games, old timer.

ah yes, enjoy your 3D, Superman 64 (aka Flying Through Hoops Simulator)

while i play my action platforming games on my good ol' pixely 8-bit system : ) 

as for the actual point of this thread, OP is forgetting and or not taking into account the fact that us 30+ year old folks, got everything a little bit later over here in Europe.

I feel like it'll be around, for NES at least, as long as Nintendo continues to be a household name. Plenty of kids are growing up with Mario and Zelda and will care about their history. Plus kids who have parents who share their childhood games with them. 

With games like NES remix, the NES classic, the virtual console, the NES/SNES games on the switch... kids today are playing the classics even if they don't own the originals. NES collecting interest might go down overall, but I think it'll still be around in a significant fashion as long as Nintendo is here, and right now they're killing it with the Switch.

It’s known based on historical data that the more nostalgia driven items tend to cross generations the worst. I’m pretty sure games fit this category sadly. When all the folks who grew up with nes are dead or moved on, you can bet the games will be pennies and likely would win that bet.

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

For everyone who thinks the nostalgia classics are timeless must plays that all will enjoy, just check the latest IGN twitter poll thing: https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1438563571286167552/photo/1

Rise of the Tomb Raider beat Half-Life 2
Burnout 3 beat Chrono Trigger
Skyrim beat Ocarina of Time
Smash Ultimate beat Super Mario World
Batman Arkham City beat Super Mario 64
Apex Legends beat Super Metroid

These are the opinions of the next big generation that will grow into collectors, lol. They do not give ONE F.

Sounds about right for the IGN crowd.

Graphics Team · Posted
On 9/17/2021 at 10:57 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

I hope so.  If nobody wants the shit, it's that much cheaper for me to get it 😛

I'm with you. Unfortunately, by the time this happens (if ever) I'll probably have bought 99% of the games I want at current inflated prices.

-CasualCart

Just now, CasualCart said:

I'm with you. Unfortunately, by the time this happens (if ever) I'll probably have bought 99% of the games I want at current inflated prices.

-CasualCart

Yeah, but that other 1% will still be out there 😛

I don't mind paying fair price, and I don't mind if what I pay today ends up being more than what I'd get tomorrow, because I have no intention of ever selling them.  So at the end of the day, it's a non-issue for me.  If I don't have it, I want it...and if the bubble bursts, I'll be able to acquire more faster 😛

Graphics Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, but that other 1% will still be out there 😛

I don't mind paying fair price, and I don't mind if what I pay today ends up being more than what I'd get tomorrow, because I have no intention of ever selling them.  So at the end of the day, it's a non-issue for me.  If I don't have it, I want it...and if the bubble bursts, I'll be able to acquire more faster 😛

I like this line of thinking. Spread the positivity, @the_wizard_666!

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm pretty aggressive with picking up Atari 2600 and I don't know anyone else even remotely interested in it so I would say yes.

Yeah, it's hard to even give the shit away here.  Probably the same in most places.  It's too bad though, cuz there's some real hidden gems on the 2600.  Intellivision too.

I don't think NES collecting will die until video game collecting as a whole dies. Not many people remember reading Action Comics 1 when it was released, but it's still worth millions in high grade. I compare this to long standing franchises that began on the NES (Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, etc.). Additionally, many non-super hero golden age comics with no correlation to current comics are still worth a lot. Golden age comics from the genres of war, romance, horror, crime, and "good girl art" books are all very collectible and expensive even though they are not currently popular genres. They are valued for their history, artwork, and content rather than a correlation to current comics. I think this will also be true of well made and rare NES games that are dead franchises (Power Blade, Panic Restaurant, etc.).

• Agree 1

With the 2600 I'd believe it, those who really care at least are in their 40s probably 50s and 60s and are less and less likely to care.  The younger types from the 40s downward odds are will find little to no fun with far better 8bit and newer choices of the same games, even if they're not upgraded other than put on some modern style of device.  They play not largely all that well, limited, pretty ugly both on the eyes and ears.  It just was a symptom of the era, too limited.  Colecovision and Famicom(NES) were the first at home really to give that arcade level of look, sound and feel on your own TV and that's why the love really starts with the NES as the coleco tanked hard fast due to the 1983 decline in the US.

NES had that level of quality that just kept up, years, due to the expansion chips.  Solid design on the controls, audio, visuals, and open ended hardware for more.  Coupled with the franchises they started and third parties started there that still truck along in some form or another are we in the last year?

Depends...from a scalper investor ruin the hobby front, maybe.  If the WATA Goldin abuses don't fold over and end up in court ruining the credibility probably not.  If they do get into the mud, fines, jail time maybe, etc get slapped down ruining various people both on that side, and the dumbasses who dropped 6-7 figures on common as all get out games with sketchy ratings...yeah they're screwed will get really bitter and bail.  That would cause a ripple effect flushing out a lot of the garbage from our hobby.  So yeah, you could see an end this year or next, where that goes.

As far as game players go...not a chance, already said why with that NES had... few lines why.  NES continues to age like a fine wine, even retro games still go with that style along with SNES/16bit style too in the indie side of things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, it's hard to even give the shit away here.  Probably the same in most places.  It's too bad though, cuz there's some real hidden gems on the 2600.  Intellivision too.

Sweet, send me a cheapo Gas Hog or Master Builder if you stumble across them 😉

Atari likes to go in waves.   I thought it was dead about 5 years ago, and then I sold out of it at the next few game conventions.   Seems to be in a bit of a lull again.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Sweet, send me a cheapo Gas Hog or Master Builder if you stumble across them 😉

Atari likes to go in waves.   I thought it was dead about 5 years ago, and then I sold out of it at the next few game conventions.   Seems to be in a bit of a lull again.

I have a duplicate Master Builder I can sell at going rate.

We are definitely not in the last years of the nes, Pre-Nes maybe.

What Nes has going for it, Nintendo is still a successful gaming company putting out related IP. There will be young people that are playing Breath of the Wild or 2 when it comes out as their first Zelda game and will end up exploring the back catalog. Not all, but definitely some. This can be similar to finding a cool song, movie, book, etc and wanting to explore more. Even games like Smash has little kids knowing who the Ice Climbers are. Castlevania got a freaking animated series on Netflix.

Video game collecting popularity among collectables has been on the rise over the years and has established a big market for itself. And all the politics and market manipulate furthers this point because it means the effort is worth it, and is seen in all other big collectables, cars, cards, comics, toys.

Nes era games can be seen as 60's era for comics and cards. There are plenty of card and comic collectors today that didnt grow up reading Amazing Fantasy 15 or watching Mickey Mantle would consider owning an issue or a rc as the gem in their collection.

Pre Nes will be hard to judge. I've seen the common opinion that the simplicity of many Atari games in either graphics or gameplay holds it back from gaining traction in adding a newer fanbase. I agree and feel thats a significant part, as well as having a mainstream character or even correct game recognition. Many gamers assume that Atari was just a 2600 nothing else beyond that. And that the Atari was that thing that played Pong, Pac-Man, and had that worst game ever ET. They have no idea about Asteroids, Combat, Warlords, Adventure (Though Ready player one helped), Hero, Pitfall...etc And this might be its fate, to be incorrectly remembered by those that even know what Atari is, and only those in the hobby will know the system, along who Bonk is, the mighty Neo Geo, 3do, Colecovision, Vectrex, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

@Enternal how dare you compare Neo Geo to those things! Vectrex is pretty dope tho.

Yeah taking a dig at the Neo wasn't cool, it doesn't fit in the slightest.  You can find them all over still(arcade), and all the mini consoles, joysticks on tv, etc, new sequel titles, mobile and pc ports, etc these days it's hardly obscure or unknown.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:43 AM, Enternal said:

We are definitely not in the last years of the nes, Pre-Nes maybe.

What Nes has going for it, Nintendo is still a successful gaming company putting out related IP. There will be young people that are playing Breath of the Wild or 2 when it comes out as their first Zelda game and will end up exploring the back catalog. Not all, but definitely some. This can be similar to finding a cool song, movie, book, etc and wanting to explore more. Even games like Smash has little kids knowing who the Ice Climbers are. Castlevania got a freaking animated series on Netflix.

Even though I do agree with you about Nintendo being a successful gaming company from the people I have talked to locally about this young kids and teenagers are looking for the latest games. They have zero interest in the classics. I have had multiple people wanting to return NES systems package just because there kids don't want it. The exploring for young people wanting to know what retro stuff has to offer is far less as far as buying and playing. People just you tube the classics. 

Edited by Bonanza125