IGNORED

Nintendo unlocks Bluetooth audio in new Switch update

phart010

So was this a technology hurdle that Nintendo just figured out?

Or was it simply a marketing decision to unlock this feature now?

I tend to think that they’ve known how to do Bluetooth audio from day one.. so why unlock this feature just right now? What is the significance of the timing? 🤔

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

Money, the bluetooth people probably wanted to give them some ripoff rate in their mind and refused to pay it.  When you do that, you have to technically disable it, even if the hardware is there, and call it something else generic.  They did the same in the past with the Wii as it's a DVD player, but can't run movies due to price, same with other things too.  When the price is too high, they still add, but disable the feature.  The Gamecube is a DVD player, just mini, but if you hack the Panasonic Q you can watch movies.

Nintendo really is the internet explorer of the console world lol

edit: I’m retracting this statement as @ICrappedMyPantspointed out series x and ps5 do not have native Bluetooth support. I may have thought of this if there were more games for either system so I could turn them on more frequently lol

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

I tried it out earlier.

I have this amazing Anker sound cube, the A7908 which can last nearly a day on battery life.  Solid speaker, even has a nice sub built in, small but you'd not know on either part given the presence.  It picked it up fast, then I fired up Bloodstained ROTN and cranked it up.  Loud, clear, amazing levels, audio was 1:1 with no lag time.  It made my handheld mode loving Switch speaker sound crappy compared.  I'd say give it a shot if you have a nice speaker like that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phart010 said:

Ah so you guys are suggesting there is some licensing fees associated with making  a device compatible with Bluetooth?

Bluetooth patents, trademarks and copyright are owned by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group. You have to become a member of the group and pay a fee to market your product as a Bluetooth product and use the patents.

However, the fees are nominal compared to Nintendo's annual revenue (it's literally tens of thousands of dollars, even for a company making billions. No, they didn't charge Nintendo anything outrageous.) So the fee is unlikely to be the barrier.

• Like 1