IGNORED

Loose N64 set sells for $30K+

LeatherRebel5150

A user in reddit has posted that he sold his loose N64 set (in universal game cases) for $33k. If true that is insane as the whole set is generally valued at roughly $10K. Is this just one impatient buyer or a sign of things to come? 

ebay link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284429118487#vi__app-cvip-panel

reddit discussion 

• Like 2

Jeez that didn’t even include any of the consoles. I’ve got the set minus the universal cases plus all the funtastics, pikachu, and gold with matching controllers and a reg console in the box. Good for this person though. It’s good to see people who have this stuff be able to cash out for a good amount of money. 

edit: damn If each case was $6 that’s $1,700 in cases alone! Hopefully he bought them all in one shot lol

Edited by a3quit4s

I feel sick seeing that, and I think to answer both questions: YES

Yes they paid too much, and YES that is a sign of things to come as that putz probably just set the bar for more attempts.  I feel sad seeing this on many levels.  Someone well well overpaid.  I hope they're happy.  Now you have the issue of more people going to try and attempt to get that, but likely the problem children in this now will try and beat that like some game to the top.

• Like 1

Ok, silly question. Was this a Best Offer purchase?

Some people post things significantly higher than what they will accept just to fish out offers and to be sure they get the best price. It's a poor strategy, but maybe they really got $12-15,000. That still seems high, but much more realistic.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Ok, silly question. Was this a Best Offer purchase?

Some people post things significantly higher than what they will accept just to fish out offers and to be sure they get the best price. It's a poor strategy, but maybe they really got $12-15,000. That still seems high, but much more realistic.

If you look at the eBay page it doesn’t have the strike through the price with best offer accepted so they paid the full $33k. I wonder if the buyer thought these are all CIB, I mean the pictures are clear these are after market cases but who knows  

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

I'm more inclined to think "impatient" buyer.

If you have millions in disposable income, and you're talking with your drinking buddies about how awesome your N64 was growing up, then you get the urge to buy the whole set and stumble across that listing?   I'd easily believe that.

• Like 2

This means that my CIB fullset is worth now $100,000. I will sell to any of you for $75k. PM me.

Edit: In all seriousness I have a CIB fullset (minus the box and manual for stunt racer and sculptor's cut), including tons of variants, and GVN values it around $28k. This sale is just absurd.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
typos, typos, and more typos
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Jeez that didn’t even include any of the consoles. I’ve got the set minus the universal cases plus all the funtastics, pikachu, and gold with matching controllers and a reg console in the box. Good for this person though. It’s good to see people who have this stuff be able to cash out for a good amount of money. 

edit: damn If each case was $6 that’s $1,700 in cases alone! Hopefully he bought them all in one shot lol

I've never paid more than $0.70/case and that includes shipping.  Obviously printing out covers costs a bit more, but not much.  Unfortunately, I didn't see where he talked about what kind of paper he used.  If it's just copy paper, those cover will look like crap.  Hopefully, he took the time to print on high quality paper with the proper print settings.  

I wonder if this was purchased by someone in a foreign country who otherwise would have paid 3x this just for shipping. If you want to build a US set in somewhere like Australia or Saudi Arabia, you're gonna pay far more than this to buy them one at a time off eBay. That's the only way this makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I've never paid more than $0.70/case and that includes shipping.  Obviously printing out covers costs a bit more, but not much.  Unfortunately, I didn't see where he talked about what kind of paper he used.  If it's just copy paper, those cover will look like crap.  Hopefully, he took the time to print on high quality paper with the proper print settings.  

Last I knew the UGC’s were discontinued. So I think the only real option now is customgamecases.com for $5 a piece with cover art or someone reselling left over UGC’s. I was actually curious what covers he used, and asked on reddit but didnt get a response yet, because some of the ones on the cover project are not great. Transformers was especially blurry on there

1 hour ago, DarkKobold said:

I wonder if this was purchased by someone in a foreign country who otherwise would have paid 3x this just for shipping. If you want to build a US set in somewhere like Australia or Saudi Arabia, you're gonna pay far more than this to buy them one at a time off eBay. That's the only way this makes sense to me.

I would understand this more if it was a CIB set selling for a huge premium. I don't know how many rich Saudis are collecting carts in UGCs.

47 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Last I knew the UGC’s were discontinued. So I think the only real option now is customgamecases.com for $5 a piece with cover art or someone reselling left over UGC’s. I was actually curious what covers he used, and asked on reddit but didnt get a response yet, because some of the ones on the cover project are not great. Transformers was especially blurry on there

Yes, they are discontinued at least for now.  There have been rumors of different supplies trying to get them back, but  I don't see it happening.  

And yes, the custom game cases are more expensive, but they are also superior, so you get what you pay for.  But if you are talking about the value of the cases in the collection in the OP, I personally wouldn't value them at much more than $1 per case.  Yes, it would cost more than that to replace them today, but you would be getting a much better case anyway.  Honestly, UGCs are crap and their impact on the value of this collection should have been minimal or zero.  I would have been much more impressed if the entire collection was cased in CGCs instead.

Also, N64 is one of only two game sets that I can think of that has a high quality cover for the entire US set (NES being the other).  

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I would understand this more if it was a CIB set selling for a huge premium. I don't know how many rich Saudis are collecting carts in UGCs.

My experience with "rich Saudis" (through PlayStation trophy hunting) is that they really tend not to give a shit about the method, only the appearance. I was acquainted with some of the most prominent trophy sellers in the world and they sold thousands and thousands of PSN trophies to these people for extreme prices; typically they'd just buy the "get me as many trophies as possible bundle", which meant many many Japanese visual novels being added to their accounts to just boost the numbers.

I could totally see one of them buying a cart-only N64 set in UGCs, not really giving a shit about what that actually means.

• "Are these real carts, that will run on a real Nintendo?"
    • "Yes"
  • "And the cases, they look nice?"
    • "Yes"
  • "I'll take them"

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Yes, they are discontinued at least for now.  There have been rumors of different supplies trying to get them back, but  I don't see it happening.  

And yes, the custom game cases are more expensive, but they are also superior, so you get what you pay for.  But if you are talking about the value of the cases in the collection in the OP, I personally wouldn't value them at much more than $1 per case.  Yes, it would cost more than that to replace them today, but you would be getting a much better case anyway.  Honestly, UGCs are crap and their impact on the value of this collection should have been minimal or zero.  I would have been much more impressed if the entire collection was cased in CGCs instead.

Also, N64 is one of only two game sets that I can think of that has a high quality cover for the entire US set (NES being the other).  

Where have you seen the high quality art? Like I said I saw some really blurry ones on coverproject. It’s something Ive wanted to finish doing for years but got frustrated not finding decent art. Unless your looking at the custom vertical art and the like. Ive only ever looked/been interested in retail design

14 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Where have you seen the high quality art? Like I said I saw some really blurry ones on coverproject. It’s something Ive wanted to finish doing for years but got frustrated not finding decent art. Unless your looking at the custom vertical art and the like. Ive only ever looked/been interested in retail design

Are you just looking at the covers hosted on the main page?  If so, there are tons of covers available in the forums that are high quality.  They may or not not be the specific format you are looking for, but if you can find high quality art, swapping it over to a different template is usually pretty easy as long as the aspect ratio is close.  I know that Wiggy has a high quality cover for every single game, but his template is pretty unique and not for everyone.  But the basic artwork should be easy to transfer to a traditional template.  

36 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Are you just looking at the covers hosted on the main page?  If so, there are tons of covers available in the forums that are high quality.  They may or not not be the specific format you are looking for, but if you can find high quality art, swapping it over to a different template is usually pretty easy as long as the aspect ratio is close.  I know that Wiggy has a high quality cover for every single game, but his template is pretty unique and not for everyone.  But the basic artwork should be easy to transfer to a traditional template.  

Ah, ok I see what your saying.  Yea the ones hosted on the main site from way back before they upped their standards arnt the greatest sometimes. I have zero idea how to go about applying art from one style to another without doing something like stretching it or causing some other kind of distortion. Ive seen Wiggys and yea not really for me

8 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I have zero idea how to go about applying art from one style to another without doing something like stretching it or causing some other kind of distortion. Ive seen Wiggys and yea not really for me

It's easy if you find art with a similar aspect ratio.  At that point it's basically just copy and paste.  

On 9/14/2021 at 2:57 AM, Gloves said:

My experience with "rich Saudis" (through PlayStation trophy hunting) is that they really tend not to give a shit about the method, only the appearance. I was acquainted with some of the most prominent trophy sellers in the world and they sold thousands and thousands of PSN trophies to these people for extreme prices; typically they'd just buy the "get me as many trophies as possible bundle", which meant many many Japanese visual novels being added to their accounts to just boost the numbers.

I could totally see one of them buying a cart-only N64 set in UGCs, not really giving a shit about what that actually means.

• "Are these real carts, that will run on a real Nintendo?"
    • "Yes"
  • "And the cases, they look nice?"
    • "Yes"
  • "I'll take them"

I don’t care how rich you are, you need to use a few brain cells to make decisions. eg. Does Paris Hilton shop around for the best price, or does she shop at random stores and buying them indiscriminately?

So with that in mind, what’s the hurry to buy a complete N64 US cart collection at a crazy rate? I think this is one of those cringe attempts at market manipulation. 

FWIW, a complete Pal N64 cart collection listed on eBay Australia is being listed for roughly $9000 US, and it’s been listed for several months now.  Why aren’t any dumb rich millionaires clicking on that BIN price? 🤔

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, GPX said:

I don’t care how rich you are, you need to use a few brain cells to make decisions. eg. Does Paris Hilton shop around for the best price, or does she shop at random stores and buying them indiscriminately?

So with that in mind, what’s the hurry to buy a complete N64 US cart collection at a crazy rate? I think this is one of those cringe attempts at market manipulation. 

FWIW, a complete Pal N64 cart collection listed on eBay Australia is being listed for roughly $9000 US, and it’s been listed for several months now.  Why aren’t any dumb rich millionaires clicking on that BIN price? 🤔

@DefaultGen can tell you why.

• Eyeroll 1