IGNORED

What is your #1 Zelda clone series or standalone title?

Nintegageo

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yes, I really need to play Neutopia! I think they are on the Turbo Mini which I grabbed so I need to do that soon.

They are... surprisingly Duo, Duo(JP) and CG2 I had access to the game legit or everdrive...only ever touched it emulated 20 years ago or so, and I did find both the US and JP versions of both are on the PCE/TG Mini.  I should give it a shot too in time.  The very little I recall dabbling with it back in the day, it heavily borrows from Zelda, but(at least #1) was a bit stiffer yet still good.

• Like 1

Damn this is tough - so many great games!  Without trying to rank them, I'll just say that I enjoyed the shit out of all these:

Golden Axe Warrior

Neutopia I and II - probably my favorite TG games

3D Dot Game Heroes

Darksiders

Immortals Fenyx Rising - I had read it was like BotW, and I think it might actually be a better game.  It certainly fixed some of my frustrations with BotW.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, CMR said:

Final Fantasy Adventure - GB

This is an all time favorite for me.  I even got hit with the mandella effect from it.  I distinctly remember the robot's name as being Merci not Marcia.  I want to go back to my original universe.  It was better there.

Oh yea that other universe where they cooked the bat before it had a chance to sneeze

On 9/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, CMR said:

Another one I liked and played a lot when I was younger was Soul Blazer.  Like all Quintet games, it had awesome music and a pretty cool story.

Ah yes how could I forget about those. Illusion of Gaia is one of my fetish games on SNES.

Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia / Terranigma are def top tier in the action-adventure genre

Since making that last post a week or so ago I did in fact fire up Neutopia on the PCE mini and that even more so than anything else really mentioned here is a pure Zelda clone and does it mostly well.  A weird style of collision where you drawn to stand on a tile but can get whacked from the one above, yet your sword only works line of sight not outward.  Keeping it in mind though, you're fine.  It's very much like the original Zelda, 8 orbs instead of triforce pieces, similar gear, upgrades too (sword, shield, armor.)  It does it in some ways better, some not...it's surprisingly pretty well done.

Where as FFA on GB and Crystalis which I agree with are great games and do the style well, they don't just do it, they went beyond it.  Neutopia stays overly true to be a clone, not something more largely developed and expanded upon at the time it came out (any of those 3) so as I try more of it as I got into the 2nd land (2/8 orbs) so far it fits well to be a possible favorite clone.  And while Zelda II went into the weeds, Neutopia II didn't, it's more of the original in style but with improvements from what I've read.

Okami, Crytalis, and Crusader of Centy are Excellent. They are pretty well mention here but I want to talk about my other 3 which are Landstalker, Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon, and Golden Axe Warrior.

Golden Axe Warrior is a Golden Axe theme Zelda which might be derivative but its a great game that is much need in the SMS library which I am thankful for.

Mystical Ninja on the N64 is a fun 3D adventure that I rank up high on the N64. Really fun and charming like Okami.

Landstalker has that Shining Force style that I like and a cool Isometric presentation that isn't too much of a problem.

There is probably others but someone will mention them.

23 hours ago, asmikace said:

Okami, Crytalis, and Crusader of Centy are Excellent. They are pretty well mention here but I want to talk about my other 3 which are Landstalker, Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon, and Golden Axe Warrior.

Golden Axe Warrior is a Golden Axe theme Zelda which might be derivative but its a great game that is much need in the SMS library which I am thankful for.

Mystical Ninja on the N64 is a fun 3D adventure that I rank up high on the N64. Really fun and charming like Okami.

Landstalker has that Shining Force style that I like and a cool Isometric presentation that isn't too much of a problem.

There is probably others but someone will mention them.

Personally in the past and still now I prefer(slightly) that Goemon game over Ocarina of Time.  It's not so much that it's mechanically better, it's not (it's not really worse either), but it's original.  Zelda is getting into early re-run status there and stupidly you can't jump.  This game comes out before it, does the Ocarina formula better, and you CAN jump...also big ass kaiju style goemon impact big robot monster fights.

Golden Axe Warrior I did own each time I had a SMS, it was required playing.  GAW is to Zelda as much as Neutopia1+2 on PCE/TG are to Zelda 1 as well.  A little bit of obvious ripoff awesomeness with some moderate improvements in ways coming after the fact from the two other good alternatives of the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any love for Startropics? No? Just me? Fine lol

Really though if there was a series that would deserve another chance in the limelight, it is Startropics. Even if the sequel was hot garbage (I don't think it was that bad, certainly many worse NES titles out there).

If nothing else would be a good platform for them to do experimental "Zelda" games without the risk of tarnishing the "Zelda brand". Then if that shit works they can implement it into Zelda proper. Idk lol. Just seems like there is a lot more they could do with it imho.

Glad to see Isaac, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Okami (RIP Clover Studios) getting love ❤️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Really though if there was a series that would deserve another chance in the limelight, it is Startropics. Even if the sequel was hot garbage (I don't think it was that bad, certainly many worse NES titles out there).

I think Startropics has way too much unique stuff going for it to really qualify as a Zelda clone. It does sorta look like one on the surface, but I think one big reason why the sequel is so much worse (some people disagree, but I'm glad we don't), is exactly because they removed so many of the aspects that set it apart, and pretty much did reduce it to "just a Zelda clone".
People try out the game, expecting it to play like Zelda, but then shun it for having "terrible controls", and claiming the sequel is better, but it's kinda regrettable, because that approach means you probably overlooked some of the biggest appeals to Startropics.

In short though, yeah, Startropics is a crazy fun game, and much better than I think most people would expect.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:47 AM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

If nothing else would be a good platform for them to do experimental "Zelda" games without the risk of tarnishing the "Zelda brand". Then if that shit works they can implement it into Zelda proper. Idk lol. Just seems like there is a lot more they could do with it imho.

Glad to see Isaac, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Okami (RIP Clover Studios) getting love ❤️

I was going to say StarTropics, but it seemed too unique.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:59 PM, fcgamer said:

Crystalis was quite good, though I thought the GBC remake sucked.

Spiritual Warfare is where it's at. Still want to give it a proper go.

These were the two I was going to list as well. It's been so long that I honestly can't remember much of either - just that I enjoyed them and completed both of them. Probably need to give them another spin soon.

Edited by dr.robbie
  • Agree 1

On 11/16/2021 at 6:34 AM, Sumez said:

I think Startropics has way too much unique stuff going for it to really qualify as a Zelda clone.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I was going to say StarTropics, but it seemed too unique.

This could be said about any of the games really. I assumed we were talking "Zelda clone" in the sub-genre of action adventure or what have you. Otherwise you start getting into semantic territory of who was copying who first lol. I.E. even with 3DDGH for how it is clearly inspired by Zelda, and has more then enough merit to stand on it's own (and add another tally to series that I'd love to see get some love and a sequel).

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X

I think there's a big difference between games in the same vein that do their own thing, and a game like StarTropics which feels like it belongs in a different genre entirely. StarTropics is clearly inspired by Konami's little known Meikyuu Jiin Dababa.

You could also consider a game like Nazo No Murasamejou, which might be Nintendo's best non-localized game. It clearly runs on the same basic engine as Zelda 1, but it's not a zelda-like at all. 🙂 Though when I describe it to people, I do tend to say it feels like if Zelda and Ninja Gaiden had a baby.

Edited by Sumez

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

I think there's a big difference between games in the same vein that do their own thing, and a game like StarTropics which feels like it belongs in a different genre entirely. StarTropics is clearly inspired by Konami's little known Meikyuu Jiin Dababa.

You could also consider a game like Nazo No Murasamejou, which might be Nintendo's best non-localized game. It clearly runs on the same basic engine as Zelda 1, but it's not a zelda-like at all. 🙂 Though when I describe it to people, I do tend to say it feels like if Zelda and Ninja Gaiden had a baby.

So what you are saying is Link is a cuck.