IGNORED

What is your #1 Zelda clone series or standalone title?

Nintegageo

So like... Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy I guess does that work?  I've always preferred it to the black and white original Link's Awakening.  Not that I was any good at it as I barely touched it over time, but if Zelda II is allowed, Battle of Olympus did the Link style game a bit better. 😉

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So like... Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy I guess does that work?  I've always preferred it to the black and white original Link's Awakening.  Not that I was any good at it as I barely touched it over time, but if Zelda II is allowed, Battle of Olympus did the Link style game a bit better. 😉

I'm sure it's no news to anyone around here that cares, but FFA pre-dates Link's Awakening by a year, at least. FFA is more like a Game Boy games similar to the original Legend of Zelda, but is much better. Sure, it's much more linear but that's ok. The story is, IMHO, the best story of any GB game I've ever played.

2 hours ago, RH said:

I'm sure it's no news to anyone around here that cares, but FFA pre-dates Link's Awakening by a year, at least. FFA is more like a Game Boy games similar to the original Legend of Zelda, but is much better. Sure, it's much more linear but that's ok. The story is, IMHO, the best story of any GB game I've ever played.

Definitely I know it's older.  I was kind of let down by the Link's Awakening release as it felt less deep or involving, a dialed in game with a unique twist trying to parrot the style of LTTP but coming up short.  I also had a v1.0 cart of which some in the run had a progression killing bug, that didn't help my love of it either.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Crystalis was quite good, though I thought the GBC remake sucked.

Spiritual Warfare is where it's at. Still want to give it a proper go.

The music sucked the fun out of it if you loved the original soundtrack, otherwise it's slightly improved mechanic wise as there were some play glitches around the old game fixed on GBC (I own both.)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The music sucked the fun out of it if you loved the original soundtrack, otherwise it's slightly improved mechanic wise as there were some play glitches around the old game fixed on GBC (I own both.)

Yeah , music's definitely one of the important aspects for me. Same reason I hate GB Mega Man 2

• Like 1

I wouldn’t call a lot of these games Zelda clones. What stands out to me about the original Zelda that a lot of the other 80s/early 90s Action-Adventures/RPGs don’t care about or at least don’t do well is area design and how to interpret and interact with it. So I guess Startropics.

Do need to play Okami at some point though.

also, I could definitely bitch about some of these games people are bringing up but I’ll be good!

4 minutes ago, JeremiahJT said:

I prefer Golden Axe Warrior to any Zelda game outside of maybe Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. One of these days I will grab a copy of Neutopia to go along with my copy of Neutopia II so I can give those a try.

Yes, I really need to play Neutopia! I think they are on the Turbo Mini which I grabbed so I need to do that soon.