IGNORED

"MSA" Nintendo 64 Region Code

silentshadow56

I found this archived link from the Nintendo Age forum (below) and figured here would be the best place to ask for clarity in regards to what region had the designation of "MSA" and what it stands for?

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/indexadb4.html?FuseAction=Search.Results&pId=5&Code_Region=MSA

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice.  I don't have the heavy hitter of the MSAs in my collection yet.  Although ironically the loose grey cart of Backstage Assault is one of the easiest MSAs to find (generally about 3-4 of them at any given time on ebay).  That said, I have gotten off to a pretty good start.  Started at the end of February and have poured a ton of time into tracking these down.  These are the start of my collection thus far (the prior owner put a protective coating over the label on ISS '98):

IMG_20230325_150006.jpg

Edited by Jesterrace
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 3:04 PM, Jesterrace said:

Very nice.  I don't have the heavy hitter of the MSAs in my collection yet.  Although ironically the loose grey cart of Backstage Assault is one of the easiest MSAs to find (generally about 3-4 of them at any given time on ebay).  That said, I have gotten off to a pretty good start.  Started at the end of February and have poured a ton of time into tracking these down.  These are the start of my collection thus far (the prior owner put a protective coating over the label on ISS '98):

IMG_20230325_150006.jpg

If you are looking for MSA i have one MK4 MSA variant for sale

Here's my list of Nintendo 64 MSA region coded video games. As someone else said in this thread, MSA stands for "Mexico and South America". I have a few of these, like 5 CIB. You can find them on MercadoLibre.com.mx (Mexico) and MercadoLivre.com.br (Brazil) from time to time. When they pop up, they typically sell for the same price any N64 game sells for (except for WCW Backstage Assault which sells for a lot because the N64 cart color variant collectors have resulted in that one becoming more well known in general). But WCW Backstage Assault I don't think is any harder to find than any of the others. They're kind of rare-ish, but not really super mega rare if you know where to look. Not really anyone is looking for these or seems to care much.

007 The World is Not Enough
Aerofighters Assault
Bio Freaks
California Speed
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Gex 64 - Enter The Gecko
International Superstar Soccer 98
International Superstar Soccer 64
International Superstar Soccer 2000 - Box Only??? (Not sure)
Mace The Dark Age
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Mythologies Sub Zero
Off Road Challenge
Quake
Rampage 2 - Universal Tour
Rampage World Tour
SCARS
San Francisco Rush
WCW Backstage Assault

Edited by nick
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:52 AM, nick said:

I'm only interested in loose carts unless you have any of those priced at $60 or less.  The problem I have found with Mercado Livre or Mercado Libre (Mexico) is that there is no good way to get them stateside without paying someone an insane brokers fee.  I had one guy from Brazil quote me $200 plus shipping for Top Gear Rally and Duke Nukem Zero Hour as loose carts.  If you have a better method, I would love to hear about it.  

Edited by Jesterrace

On 4/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, nick said:

Here's my list of Nintendo 64 MSA region coded video games. As someone else said in this thread, MSA stands for "Mexico and South America". I have a few of these, like 5 CIB. You can find them on MercadoLibre.com.mx (Mexico) and MercadoLivre.com.br (Brazil) from time to time. When they pop up, they typically sell for the same price any N64 game sells for (except for WCW Backstage Assault which sells for a lot because the N64 cart color variant collectors have resulted in that one becoming more well known in general). But WCW Backstage Assault I don't think is any harder to find than any of the others. They're kind of rare-ish, but not really super mega rare if you know where to look. Not really anyone is looking for these or seems to care much.

007 The World is Not Enough
Aerofighters Assault
Bio Freaks
California Speed
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Gex 64 - Enter The Gecko
International Superstar Soccer 98
International Superstar Soccer 64
International Superstar Soccer 2000 - Box Only??? (Not sure)
Mace The Dark Age
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Mythologies Sub Zero
Off Road Challenge
Quake
Rampage 2 - Universal Tour
Rampage World Tour
SCARS
San Francisco Rush
WCW Backstage Assault

ISS 2000 is box only as are games like Buck Bumble and Fighter's Destiny.  I'm only doing the loose carts though.  The only one missing from your list (that I am aware of) for loose carts is Top Gear Rally.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 12:45 PM, N64Cortex said:

Nice MSA games! I think this is the set that surprises me the most, as everytime a new discovery pops up! I share my set with you 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.467677e11133080c3b515472e7483810.jpeg

YO! Good stuff, @N64Cortex!! Very cool to see a bunch of them in a single pic like this.😍 🎉 How much longer til you have all of them?

1 hour ago, nick said:

YO! Good stuff, @N64Cortex!! Very cool to see a bunch of them in a single pic like this.😍🎉 How much longer til you have all of them?

Have 2 more on the way and working on another order.  To my knowledge there are a total of 18 for loose carts.  I am writing off SCARS as a box only.  I have been conferring with others and no one has ever seen anything but the box.  I can also confirm Buck Bumble, Fighter's Destiny, ISS 2000 as box only variant MSAs.  

Edited by Jesterrace

Thanks!

To my knowledge, boxed list goes as follows:

007: The World is not Enough NUS-NO7S MSA 
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. NUS-NBFE MSA 
California Speed NUS-NCLE MSA 
Gex 64: Enter the Gecko NUS-NX2E MSA 
International Superstar Soccer 64 NUS-NJPE MSA
International Superstar Soccer 98 NUS-NWSE MSA
International Superstar Soccer 2000 NUS-NISE MSA (No MSA Cart) 
Mace: The Dark Age NUS-NMEE MSA 
Mortal Kombat 4 NUS-NM4E MSA 
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero NUS-NMYE MSA
Off Road Challenge NUS-NOFE MSA 
Quake NUS-NQKE MSA 
Rampage World Tour NUS-NRPE MSA 
Rampage 2: Universal Tour NUS-N2PE MSA 
Rush: Extreme Racing San Francisco NUS-NSFE MSA 
 S.C.A.R.S. NUS-NCSE MSA (I think only box, as never seen cart or manual, but cant confirm 100%)
WCW Backstage Assault NUS-NWVE MSA
Aerofighters Assault MSA
Top Gear Rally MSA
Duke Nukem Zero Hour MSA

NOT MSA Coded (Spanish text in back of box)
Buck Bumble
Rocket Robot on wheels
Monaco Grand Prix

Thats what I know... but its a set that always surprises me and I would not find it strange if more pop up...

Edited by N64Cortex
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

Have 2 more on the way and working on another order.  To my knowledge there are a total of 18 for loose carts.  I am writing off SCARS as a box only.  I have been conferring with others and no one has ever seen anything but the box.  I can also confirm Buck Bumble, Fighter's Destiny, ISS 2000 as box only variant MSAs.  

Interesting, never knew about Fighter´s Destiny! MSA is a never ending box of surprises XD

1 hour ago, N64Cortex said:

Interesting, never knew about Fighter´s Destiny! MSA is a never ending box of surprises XD

Yup, I think it's in the last category for the back of the box being in spanish with no other indicators.  Here is a listing for one:  https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-3264646423-fighters-destiny-americano-completo-para-nintendo-64-n64-_JM#position=3&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=71e00b28-ef02-4ee3-81ae-9cb245746151

Edited by Jesterrace