IGNORED

Game Debate #66: Doom

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Doom (1993)

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Doom (2016)

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Every home console version has issues, but they all have different weak points.  Depending on what is important to you, you might rank different ports as the worst.  SNES is probably the weakest from a visual perspective, but in terms of sound, I would say the 32x is the weakest, and the Jaguar port has no music, so you could also argue it's the weakest.  Regardless, SNES, 32x, Saturn, 3DO, Jaguar and PS1 all have some limitations.  PS1 is probably the closest to being faithful to the original release.  I left out N64 Doom as it's generally considered it's own game.  

If anyone wants to spend an hour learning about all the differences...

• Love 1

A few tips @Gloves. Doom is a game that allows you to savescum with no remose. For the sake of your own experiece, try to limit your quicksaving to whenever you feel like you've covered enough of the stage you're on to make a new checkpoint for yourself, or if you want to take some leaps of faith looking for secrets.

While the maze exploration aspect of the stages is still nicely done, you owe it to yourself to experience how nicely the combat works. Also, crank up the volume and make sure it's in stereo.

The GOAT.  Ive beaten in almost every way possible.  The only thing I dont like is Episode 2.  I think its kinda bland.  I can't say enough good things about it.  

As for 2016, the highest compliment I can give it is that it didn't make me want to play the original instead.  I loved it and was really happy they didn't fuck it up.  I wish the levels were a bit more non-linear but thats really hard to do in modern games now adays.  

I didn't grow up with Doom (Perfect Dark was my first FPS experience), but I played it in college. If you're interested in game dev history, the stuff Carmack did when making those early 3D engines is pretty dang inspiring. There's a great book called Masters of Doom that chronicles the history of Id that I'd recommend to anyone interested.

Having said that, I agree with both options 9 and 6. It definitely still holds up. I don't find myself going back to it, but I think it's worth playing for historical perspective.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

A few tips @Gloves. Doom is a game that allows you to savescum with no remose. For the sake of your own experiece, try to limit your quicksaving to whenever you feel like you've covered enough of the stage you're on to make a new checkpoint for yourself, or if you want to take some leaps of faith looking for secrets.

While the maze exploration aspect of the stages is still nicely done, you owe it to yourself to experience how nicely the combat works. Also, crank up the volume and make sure it's in stereo.

Or type iddqd idkfa idclip and blast through all the levels because playing it like an 8 year old in the 90s is the truuuuue Doom experience.

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

Alright I've started playing the PC version. Will report back.

Which version?  Playing it like it's the 90s, or one of the fluffy frontends for modern usage like zdoom?  As long as you don't tamper with the mechanics adding looking around(up down) or jump, you're good to get the right feel.  Back in the day if you really want to keep it on the level, majority play split between keyboard and a 2-4 button game pad like the old gravis style stuff.

I get your story there on shareware, it's why I was surprised you hadn't touched it, E1 was free and it really is in some ways the best episode too (same could be said of Wolfenstein, other than chumming that ass Hitler at the end of E3.)

Administrator · Posted
52 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Which version?  Playing it like it's the 90s, or one of the fluffy frontends for modern usage like zdoom?  As long as you don't tamper with the mechanics adding looking around(up down) or jump, you're good to get the right feel.  Back in the day if you really want to keep it on the level, majority play split between keyboard and a 2-4 button game pad like the old gravis style stuff.

I get your story there on shareware, it's why I was surprised you hadn't touched it, E1 was free and it really is in some ways the best episode too (same could be said of Wolfenstein, other than chumming that ass Hitler at the end of E3.)

I'm playing Ultimate Doom, bought it on GOG. To my knowledge, this is the original game, plus an extra episode. 

No bells and whistles, I'm controlling it like you would have at release. 

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm playing Ultimate Doom, bought it on GOG. To my knowledge, this is the original game, plus an extra episode. 

Correct.  Released after Doom II.  The 4th episode falls in between Doom and Doom II.  If you really are a first timer, you will probably be fine just playing through the original 3 episodes, but the extra one is there if you want to play it.  

Administrator · Posted
Just now, TDIRunner said:

Correct.  Released after Doom II.  The 4th episode falls in between Doom and Doom II.  If you really are a first timer, you will probably be fine just playing through the original 3 episodes, but the extra one is there if you want to play it.  

This is my first time playing, yeah, so I wanna get it as original as I can without being silly about it. 

3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

DOOM is a straight 10.  ID's perfected take on the Wolfenstein formula.

2016 I'd probably give a 6 per the rankings.  But that's mostly my own bias.  I really do want to play it more but haven't given it proper attention. 

Doom came out a year after Wolfenstein 3D and it's so much better. It's almost like if A Link to the Past came out a year after the original Zelda.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:48 PM, Gloves said:

No bells and whistles, I'm controlling it like you would have at release. 

Perfect choice.  Period accurate entirely pure release of the final version of the game.  Recent years Romero put out a 5th semi-official episode called Sigil you could toss on there if you want, but it's to Doom as SMB2j FDS is to SMB1...utterly nasty, a pro version of the stages.

After if you dig it, just for modern flow but without ruining the vanilla experience in the slightest I'd use zdoom/gzdoom as a windows frontend.

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

BTW, I remember when it was a first year pick in the Video Game Hall of Fame and some people were like, "Why is Doom on there." They were corrected with extreme prejudice. 😄

I vaguely remember that, maybe something on video youtube has to share?  I get it if someone hates FPS games, hates the demonic imagery due to being some religious crank or just unsettled by it...fine.  Table it, look at what it did beyond that realm.  What it introduced.  To gaming, to genre, to format, to portability sake, to the huge supply of offshoot franchises, to caring about online multiplayer gaming in the era of the phone, and more.  Had that not made the hall of fame in the first year it would have probably ruined the credibility of the hall of fame.  Snubbing that would be like snubbing Mario or his creator, or Sim City and his, etc.  There are those few select key gaming moments/designers and it's one.