IGNORED

Content licensing and site ownership. (Avoiding another future acquisition.)

Grondorr

5 minutes ago, Link said:

Does advertising offer a substantial amount? For a little site like this. Is it like pennies per thousands of impressions and slightly more for clickthroughs.

My understanding is that it would be pretty minimal with the userbase the site has now, but there are ways to try and grow the community while trying to keep it in line with the spirit you want to achieve. The more work and structure that is put into the site the more kinds of users of various passions you can adopt. I loved Nintendoage but it was certainly extremely centered on Nintendo (duh) and more specifically NES stuff. Hopefully this place can learn to navigate the collector space broadly by embracing all sides of game collecting while retaining the detail orientation and knowledge level that made NA special in the first place. 

If my experience with sites over decades has taught me anything, it's best to put a good foot forward feature and content wise before going overly public with your site if the desire is to attract people, but you also want to avoid having flood gates open to a bunch of people who won't ultimately fit in or be welcome either. The death of NA is sad but if the right people gather up this new site could become something really special over time. If I was more talented I'd try to contribute more but most of what I do deals in setups and knowledge of gaming as a whole rather than the more meticulous details like variants and such.

12 minutes ago, Link said:

Does advertising offer a substantial amount? For a little site like this. Is it like pennies per thousands of impressions and slightly more for clickthroughs.

Well, that would be true for traditional advertising, but perhaps sponsorship ads might be more lucrative. That said, I hope we can avoid ads, and cover costs via the optional subscriptions. Ignoring the fact that ads can be annoying, they also create a sense of obligation to the advertisers.

@Gloves please try to keep us posted on if you need more subscriptions.  🙂 (I'm hoping that like wikipedia we can be 100% supported by donations.)

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Grondorr said:

Well, that would be true for traditional advertising, but perhaps sponsorship ads might be more lucrative. That said, I hope we can avoid ads, and cover costs via the optional subscriptions. Ignoring the fact that ads can be annoying, they also create a sense of obligation to the advertisers.

@Gloves please try to keep us posted on if you need more subscriptions.  🙂 (I'm hoping that like wikipedia we can be 100% supported by donations.)

More subscriptions are of course always appreciated, especially as we expect that people will come and go as they need to! 

As it stands, we are 100% donation and subscription based, and have actually turned down a few companies who wished to place ads on the site (which we actually appreciate! Just not interested at this time). I don't like ads just as much as you guys, so if we can keep things running without em then we will, 100%.

We're incredibly humbled by the outpouring of support, and we hope that in time we can give back to the community in some way. 🙂

Administrator · Posted
37 minutes ago, Link said:

Something like that yeah. The better deal for us would be sponsored ads where we take a lump sum for a period of time.