Jump to content
IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread


Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2021 at 8:36 PM, Code Monkey said:

It is pretty well documented in many threads here. The purple border has box, manual and cartridge with the -USA (non -1) product code which means it would have technically been first because the borderless variant have all -USA-1 codes on box, manual and cartridge.

That's one theory but the quantity of known examples is so low that some people think it was never officially released and these are just sample games that weren't supposed to go to retail. Also every example known has been found or originated in South America so there's another theory that Nintendo decided not to sell them here and dumped the all on the South American market.

There's also a Playtronic variant that comes from South America that has Playtronic on the rear of the cartridge and I believe the box as well. It looks almost identical so you have to be careful as the Playtronic variant is much easier to find.

That photo I posted (not mine) is, as far as I know, the only known sealed copy of the Nintendo first print version of Mega Man 6.

Im sorry for this crazy bump thats not even needed, but as I was discussing this with a friend that showed me someone posting their MM6 variant as the 'only one known', I was trying to do research and wanted to clarify something.  The 'theory' isnt Nintendo didn't want to sell them here, it was Capcom that didn't think MM6 was worth selling in the US as I'm sure it was already so late for the NES, they wanted to move onto the SNES.  Where as MM6 was intended to be released elsewhere, where the NES was still strong, as those places probably didn't have good SNES sales just yet.  This is where Nintendo interviened and said "Fuck that, its getting released here".  Which is why its a Nintendo release.  Its more than likely, Capcom did the research and showed it wouldn't be cost effective for them to print carts on their own dime for potentially low sales.  Nintendo, being Nintendo, could afford it.  Again, why theres more copies of MM6 than MM5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Im sorry for this crazy bump thats not even needed, but as I was discussing this with a friend that showed me someone posting their MM6 variant as the 'only one known', I was trying to do research and wanted to clarify something.  The 'theory' isnt Nintendo didn't want to sell them here, it was Capcom that didn't think MM6 was worth selling in the US as I'm sure it was already so late for the NES, they wanted to move onto the SNES.  Where as MM6 was intended to be released elsewhere, where the NES was still strong, as those places probably didn't have good SNES sales just yet.  This is where Nintendo interviened and said "Fuck that, its getting released here".  Which is why its a Nintendo release.  Its more than likely, Capcom did the research and showed it wouldn't be cost effective for them to print carts on their own dime for potentially low sales.  Nintendo, being Nintendo, could afford it.  Again, why theres more copies of MM6 than MM5.

You can't tell me what the theory is and isn't. It might be incorrect but it's still a theory whether it's right or wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

So how legit is this? You can see that I had a big ol' miss here 😔

image.png.ac0c91f5b5ecd9eaaccbfe4dd1a1cee8.png

saw some discussion of that today. it looks a lot like shenanigans. apparently someone in one of the FB groups said they'd happily sell their 9.6 copy for $50k if the buyers were serious...:D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I made this meme and posted it to my IG story with the caption "me and my fiancé" and it was suggested that I post it here:

 

spacer.png

Not to go off-topic but whos the babe? She looks like the famous russian tennis player but prettier.

Edited by AnimalHouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You can't tell me what the theory is and isn't. It might be incorrect but it's still a theory whether it's right or wrong.

My only issue was this quote "so there's another theory that Nintendo decided not to sell them here and dumped the all on the South American market."

You're saying Nintendo didn't want the Capcom version released in America, yet got the publishing rights to actually release it themselves in the US?

I agree its not a legit US release, but this doesn't make any sense, compared to Capcom not wanting to release it in America but everywhere else.  Then Nintendo saving the day, releasing it themselves as Mega Man was a well known Nintendo brand.  Anyway I don't wanna derail this thread any further, as if there was a better thread for it, I would take it there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AnimalHouse said:

I saw the recent offers. Someone must really want this game or is looking to do a little money laundering and hide there stash. 

Tbh i didn't know a game like this would sell for what it did. I was hoping to pick it up on the cheap if the heritage crowd didn't know what it is 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

My only issue was this quote "so there's another theory that Nintendo decided not to sell them here and dumped the all on the South American market."

You're saying Nintendo didn't want the Capcom version released in America, yet got the publishing rights to actually release it themselves in the US?

I agree its not a legit US release, but this doesn't make any sense, compared to Capcom not wanting to release it in America but everywhere else.  Then Nintendo saving the day, releasing it themselves as Mega Man was a well known Nintendo brand.  Anyway I don't wanna derail this thread any further, as if there was a better thread for it, I would take it there.

No, I'm saying there's a theory amongst collectors that's what happened. And that's true, there is a theory that exists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

My only issue was this quote "so there's another theory that Nintendo decided not to sell them here and dumped the all on the South American market."

You're saying Nintendo didn't want the Capcom version released in America, yet got the publishing rights to actually release it themselves in the US?

I agree its not a legit US release, but this doesn't make any sense, compared to Capcom not wanting to release it in America but everywhere else.  Then Nintendo saving the day, releasing it themselves as Mega Man was a well known Nintendo brand.  Anyway I don't wanna derail this thread any further, as if there was a better thread for it, I would take it there.

I suspect that the Purple border Megaman 6’s mostly all had Portuguese Playtronic labels on the rear shell. Anyone who shows an English language rear label possibly had the rear shell swapped. There’s lot of discussion on the Megaman 6 purple border variant on the VGS Rare Variants thread :

 

 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

FWIW, the dozens that sold after the first sale were all the ones with the orange sticker on them. These are more readily available from case packs in the $15 shipped range. But how often can you repeat a sale for $100s when the game is on Ebay for $15 shipped, who knows.

Are you sure? On Aug 3rd, I saw all but 3 with the orange stickers sold. There were a couple of listings with multiples being sold here: listing 1, listing 2, listing 3, listing 4. If I was going to invest in this video game, it would be from the case packs. The last sentence, I agree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

I suspect that the Purple border Megaman 6’s mostly all had Portuguese Playtronic labels on the rear shell. Anyone who shows an English language rear label possibly had the rear shell swapped. There’s lot of discussion on the Megaman 6 purple border variant on the VGS Rare Variants thread :

 

 

Thanks!  I know I had some convo and opinions on but but I can't remember what thread it was because IIRC there wasn't one dedicated to just the MM6 label variant.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Thanks!  I know I had some convo and opinions on but but I can't remember what thread it was because IIRC there wasn't one dedicated to just the MM6 label variant.  

Yea maybe halfway through the thread, there were 3 or 4 pages of discussion. I see that you were involved.

While we’re on the heritage auctions thread, anyone care to speculate on what the elusive sealed purple border Megaman 6 would go for at auction?

Surely if Mario NES 1st or 2nd print can go for a million, then Megaman 6 purple sealed would be worth a million as well.

Edited by phart010
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AdamW said:

Jone's data really doesn't say what you want it to say. Out of 203 85+s in that data, exactly two crossed to 9.8/A++. That's a rate of very slightly under 1%. The correct statement is not "a VGA 85+ is (also at best) a 9.8 A++", but "a VGA 85+ is virtually never a 9.8 A++".

Even out of the 90s, from a total of 34, only 7 crossed to 9.8/A++. That's a 'success rate' of only slightly over 20%, or to put it another way, a given VGA 90 is four times more likely to grade lower than 9.8/A++ than it is to grade 9.8/A++.

If you want to dispute what I have said, fine. Just note that I shaved down what I wanted to say, which also included Wata's visual chart on what constitutes as a 10, 9.8, 9.6, etc.

Their "10" box is a VGA 95Q, with a strong enough argument to be a 95+Q. The argument is pretty much the minute flaws shown on the box, but you have to know what you are looking for. If the back of the box was flawless, that is when it can be bumped up to a 95+Q. But if it also has any minute flaws, it would be a 95Q.

Their "9.8" box is a VGA 85Q, with a mild chance to be bumped up to an 85+Q. On the left is a non-color breaking crease that runs for an inch (or more). On the right is a small color breaking tear. By VGA's very own definition, things like these make it "near case fresh" even if it happened in the case itself.

Their "9.6" box is a VGA 80+Q, also with a mild argument that it can be an 85Q. This is because unlike their 9.8 example, the visual damage is seen at the area of the flap. Which has enough color breaking related wear that I'd personally would have considered it a 9.4 when compared to their own 9.4 example.

Their "9.4" example does not show what makes it a 9.4, but the non-color breaking bend on the front of the box alone would have made it be a potential VGA 85Q. Maybe an 85+Q on a good day. This is because there is no signs of color-breaking flaws, and the only shown damage is an outward crease that does not harm the image one bit.

As for Jone's references that were connected to the Carolina Collection, which itself sounds like a delicious BBQ place, I did not once say that I agreed with everything he said. For example, Wata's definition of what "Mint" is conflicts with portions of what VGA says. In this case, a Wata 'Mint' can be a VGA 'NM+' or 'NM+/Mint' in the end.

Plus, my studies on how CGC has graded has me believe that Wata may have also graded softly because they too have to meet strict quotas. And why nobody calls them out is because sellers, investors, and a large number of collectors are known to put an official grade over accuracy, rarity, etc.

Thus why I believe that a 95 with older games is harder to get than those 9.8 A++s. 

4 hours ago, inasuma said:

I didn't interpret the notional bands this way. I saw 85+ as having ~1% likelihood of which 9.8. In my experience, 85 crosses commonly to 9.2-9.4 A+ (or A++), and 85+/90 crosses to 9.4-9.6 A++ (never had a 9.8 but I've only crossed four games total).

That said, VGA has historically heavily criticized seal condition; meaning an A+ wata seal could put your VGA cross down to the 85 or lower level because of scuffing which A+ allows.

EDIT: Btw, I think we should probably move the graded discussion over to that general sealed/graded discussion thread. 

This was not meant to be a "graded" discussion, but rather the fact every portion of the graded collective have those that put an emphasis on what an item is graded over the means on how accurate it is. In a lot of cases, including the one I had responded to, there are those that will treat a 9.6 as a 9.8 because the company has graded it as such.

In my near-decade long experience, I have noticed that CGC 9.8s have similar signs that it should have been graded a 9.6. Just like I have noticed that a few CBCS 9.8s could have been graded 9.9. So when it comes to that .2 margin, there is that thought that a 9.8 should have been a 9.6 but the graded had to meet a quota. Nothing more.

As for my comparisons to VGA, I generally agree with you on grounds that I recently did a similar comparison to how both AFA (modern scale, pre-"+" era) and CAS grade. Which is why I also had experience dealing with AFA's modern and standard scale as a means of determining how much I can agree with Wata's own scale.

Which is also why I did not say the person I replied to was wrong when it comes to collecting 9.8 A++s. In the past I sought anything that was a 90 or better. And stopped trusting AFA's definition of an 85 when something I sent should the box be at least an 80. But I had to disagree that a 9.6 A++ cannot be mint just because it is not a 9.8 A++.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, GPX said:

I congratulate you for making a lengthy valid post and resisting the mighty urge of not mentioning that 3-letter acronym!

Almost forgot to tell you that I am "mad" at them. Even though the Super Convoy I bought was not the same one Mandarake had shown, I personally felt that it could have still received an 85. Instead it was graded an 84.1 (80+) by them. I mean... How dare they use a percentage system that includes both a decimal point and a single digit number! 😤

Gah! The nerve of them using math to determine the percentage on how close to being mint an item is! The nerve! It's as bad as going to an auction house and having them say what the estimated value of a video game is! 😤

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I remember looking at that MM6 sealed variant listing when it was live on eBay.. Canadian seller and everything. Didn't even think twice about the variant at the time. A week later a big post on NA about the find of a lifetime on eBay lol. I honestly would have flipped it more or less instantly... felt bad for the seller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Man, I remember looking at that MM6 sealed variant listing when it was live on eBay.. Canadian seller and everything. Didn't even think twice about the variant at the time. A week later a big post on NA about the find of a lifetime on eBay lol. I honestly would have flipped it more or less instantly... felt bad for the seller.

I wasn’t aware that it was sold on eBay. By chance do you remember how much it sold for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

I wasn’t aware that it was sold on eBay. By chance do you remember how much it sold for?

I want to say like $600-800 or something... 99% sure it was less than $1K. The guy who sold it was also a NA user at the time and didn't realize the difference and listed it for what a regular, sealed MM6 would have been going for at the time (BIN listing). I remember him stating that he was wondering why it sold so fast in the buyers find thread.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I want to say like $600-800 or something... 99% sure it was less than $1K. The guy who sold it was also a NA user at the time and didn't realize the difference and listed it for what a regular, sealed MM6 would have been going for at the time (BIN listing). I remember him stating that he was wondering why it sold so fast in the buyers find thread.

I bet he could add three more zeroes onto the price he bought it for today 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I want to say like $600-800 or something... 99% sure it was less than $1K. The guy who sold it was also a NA user at the time and didn't realize the difference and listed it for what a regular, sealed MM6 would have been going for at the time (BIN listing). I remember him stating that he was wondering why it sold so fast in the buyers find thread.

Sounds like going rate at the time. A sealed variant copy sat at my local video game store for months at $600 until Wata happened. Nobody wanted it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

Purple border isn't a variant, it's the first print. The copy I saw here was the USA-1 variant without the purple border.

I think we had this same discussion before in the past. I know where you are coming from, but technically speaking it still is a variant. Each variation, including the first print can be referred to as a variant.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I bet he could add three more zeroes onto the price he bought it for today 

Even in the find thread there were a lot of people that said they would pay a lot more or 'double the investment' etc. etc. I want to say RareBucky offered '5 figures' right on the spot.

 

Does the same guy still own it? I think I remember him being a massive MM fan but this was a while ago now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Even in the find thread there were a lot of people that said they would pay a lot more or 'double the investment' etc. etc. I want to say RareBucky offered '5 figures' right on the spot.

 

Does the same guy still own it? I think I remember him being a massive MM fan but this was a while ago now.

 

I don’t know who owns it. Someone here probably does.

If I owned it, I would only have it graded in person, no way it would be going in the mail.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...