IGNORED

Half asleep/awake scenarios

GPX

Something random, which happened to me just now. 

My morning alarm buzzer (on mobile) went off, I tap the snooze button, it still made alarm noise. After tapping it several times, I wondered why it’s not yet silenced?

Then I woke up and realized...I was only dreaming of waking up and tapping on the mobile! Then I tapped it, for real this time. Snooze mode now in operation!

Then here I am talking about it.

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

You ever know your dreaming and are trying to wake yourself up, but you can’t wake yourself up? 

So the whole dream is about you attempting to wake yourself up while you are consciously aware that you are asleep..

I may have had that kind of dream before, not sure. However, I do recall on some occasions during the dream, I might be thinking “nah this can’t be real” (in a reality-based dream). So I kinda figured it was a dream during the dream, and often I would then wake up. 

3 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I also sleepwalk. Wake up fairly often not where I fell asleep. I also have horrible night terrors and only sleep a few hours a night. Been dealing with this for most of my life though. I’d say I’m pretty used to it. 

Wow can you get used to night terrors?

22 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I sleepwalked as a kid.  Once I was running in the woods in my dream.  Woke up... and I had run off into the woods 

Furthest I've ever made it is to my front porch. Door had to have been unlocked because I have never gone out with the door locked. Woken up by the door many times though.

Editorials Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Furthest I've ever made it is to my front porch. Door had to have been unlocked because I have never gone out with the door locked. Woken up by the door many times though.

I made it partway down the street once before my dad caught me.

• Wow! 2

Never really sleepwalked, but your title makes me think of that weird state you can be in where you're falling asleep but not quite there. The fuzzy line between conscious and unconscious. I remember in my early teens pulling all-nighters at friends' places, falling asleep, sugar/caffeine crash after a night of games - the wind-down can sometimes spark some weird creative thoughts. Steve Wozniak has a good story about that that he likes to tell in interviews.. when he was working on Super Breakout at Atari he was sleep-deprived and had an idea to cycle bits in a simple chip to simulate wavelengths of color. Ultimately that led to the Apple II producing color output for cheap, without any fancy or expensive calculations.

• Like 1

Shortly after starting shift work, I had several instances of sleep paralysis. Very odd feeling... I was fully awake mentally (could hear and understand everything going on around me) but couldn't move or open my eyes, hence the 'paralysis' part. Only lasted a minute or two but extremely odd not being able to move even though you are thinking about it as normal. Definitely a much more coherent feeling then trying to wake yourself up in a dream.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Shortly after starting shift work, I had several instances of sleep paralysis. Very odd feeling... I was fully awake mentally (could hear and understand everything going on around me) but couldn't move or open my eyes, hence the 'paralysis' part. Only lasted a minute or two but extremely odd not being able to move even though you are thinking about it as normal. Definitely a much more coherent feeling then trying to wake yourself up in a dream.

Yeah I've had that on many occasions. I try to get momentum and move my body but I can't. Then I just give up and fall back to sleep. It's a pretty messed up feeling. When I was a kid I woke up during surgery, it was similar.

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 1

I remember writing a fictional story in high school about the last thing I saw was a banana before I went to bed. Then during the sleep, I dreamt everything about bananas! 😄

Wonder if that’s ever happened to anyone here, seeing something during the day and then dreaming about it later at night? I don’t recall any of such dreams for myself.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:40 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

When I was a teenager I was getting into meditation. It was supposed to be calming, and introspective. On several occasions it landed me into a state of sleep paralysis which was actually quite terrifying. Needless to say I gave up on meditation and haven’t had any issues with that type of paralysis since.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 11:26 PM, fcgamer said:

Yeah, sometimes I'll enter a state where I can hear myself snoring, where I'm half awake and half asleep

Once, my husband woke me up with his snoring.  I was irritated because I was sick and hadn't gotten to sleep until late.  Then I woke up enough to realize he'd been at work hours ago, and the snoring that woke me up was my own.  😆

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, phart010 said:

When I was a teenager I was getting into meditation. It was supposed to be calming, and introspective. On several occasions it landed me into a state of sleep paralysis which was actually quite terrifying. Needless to say I gave up on meditation and haven’t had any issues with that type of paralysis since.

Crazy.. it is a very uncomfortable feeling.