IGNORED

Info about NES cart, box, manual variants, If this is a tired topic, please forgive me.

Guests · Posted

Okay, this one might be tough. If this is not in the proper place, please move it to the right one 🙂 . And forgive me if this is a topic that has been beaten to death. I started retro game collecting a few years ago. NES was something that I was going for. I started with the black box games. I was going for cartridge, box, and manuals. It didn't take long for me to realize that I had items that did not technically match. Not a problem, trade bate 🙂 . Anyway so I made sure that I had the proper variants matched up. I did this by using a list of all the known NES variants.  I am pretty sure this existed once upon a time. I don't recall the search string that I used but for the life of me, I can't find this list. Or was this a dream? I have tried ever possible search string that I could have thought of using. But I cannot find this list. Would this have been on Nintendo Age? I understand that community moved here. Is that correct? Did this list exist? Was it a list? I know I had this information available to me once upon a time. It may not have been a list. I am really tired right now too so forgive me please if I am not using correct terminology, etc. I just know that once upon a time I could easily find this information. I am able to find SOME, and I mean SOME information but not all of the information in once place like my memory seems to be telling me at this moment. Is there a list or database, or whatever where I can find information about ALL of the NES variants. Carts, Instructions, Boxes, All of it?  Black box games, Gold vs grey Zelda, Mike vs. Mr Dream Punch out, Stadium Events, Vs. WCTM, all the Golf variants, hang tabs, sticker seals. I think you get the point. I'm not necessarily a variant hunter, but I would just like to be able to find this stuff like I seem to think I could before. I'm actually planning on thinning out my collection. I am bursting at the seams. But there are reasons why I would like to know all variants, no need for the details. But in short, does anyone know if there is a one stop place for information on all NES cart, box, manual variants. I appreciate your help. Sorry If I am not making sense, I am tired and I have back and hip problems and I am in pain.

The NES sealed contents thread doesn't have everything (especially most variants), but everything there has been verified to come from sealed games

For the Zeldas, there's my thread

And of course for the black box games there's the WATA guide

https://www.watagames.com/learn/blog/post/nes-black-box-variant-guide/

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guests · Posted

Thanks. But none of this contains the comprehensive information that I'm looking for. Some of it contain some of the information, but then that's about it. I just wish that all of the information that I was looking for was there, but it's not. I actually found a lot of this stuff on my own, hence why I created an account and posted here. I thought someone could help me. I am somewhat certain that this information was available once upon a time. So, why doesn't such a list exist? Has the retro game collecting craze died? Even if it did, it is still a big enough thing for a list like the one I was talking about to exist. Okay, let me mention this. I am thinning out my collection. I am going to auction several consoles, games, etc. on eBay. I am going to auction of a good bit of my stuff simply because I don't have the room. A lot of it I plan on obtaining again someday, but some of it not so much. I am bursting at the seams and I do kind of need cash right now as well. I will be taking losses though. One thing that I am going to do is cartridge only for NES. The boxes take up space, even having the manuals can take up space, even the dust sleeves. I can lookup instructions online. There are PDFs of these manuals out there. I would really just like to know cartridge info. 5 screw - 3 screw, oval - round seal, TM - no TM, code - no code, Rev A, etc. I think you all know what I mean based on the first post in this thread. One thing that I need to take care of ASAP, is this Donkey Kong Jr. Math cart, manual, box that I have now. I paid... more than what I probably should have. But nonetheless I may be auctioning this off. It depends on what I find out regarding variant info. I am definitely auctioning off the box and manual, but I am not certain of the cart. I just want to know about the variants of this. It is a 5 screw, but I can't recall what the other variations on NES carts are. I know bout the seals of qualities, codes, I can't recall the TMs and there may be other variations that I am not remembering. I know I will not get all of my money back on this DKJr Math stuff but even if I sell the box and manual, I will be better off. Anybody know of anything that might help me with the information that I am seeking?

Guests · Posted

I have, and correct me if I am wrong, because I didn't read word for word (maybe I should) but it appears as though it talks about the boxes with the black box games. Maybe some of it is the same with the carts? Like I have mentioned before, I can't recall what all the variations are, If I don't do something everyday I don't remember it. It has been a long time since I had access to he information I was talking about, but I had info about the box, the cart, the book, but if I only have info about the box, then I have to apply it to the cart as well and hope that I am hitting all the right variations. 

Okay, after I just typed all that, I looked at the article and did see this:

"At every instance of this feature we want to be clear that we are discussing Black Box “Box” variants, not Cartridge and Manual variants for black box games. Since many of the cart and manual variants follow the changes with boxes, and also because there is overlap of the cartridge and manual combinations across many box variants, we are limiting the focus on boxes to maintain a more straightforward and clear picture."

The part that stands out there that may answer my question is:

"Since many of the cart and manual variants follow the changes with boxes"

So my understanding is that I can apply this information from this article with the carts? If that is the case, I would still feel better if I could find the information that was once available about the carts and books as well. I find it hard to believe that it isn't out there somewhere like my memory tells me it once was. But maybe I'm trying to find something that no longer exists and never will because I'm the only person who thinks it should. I don't know.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:38 PM, Hyrules Plumber said:

Would this have been on Nintendo Age? I understand that community moved here. Is that correct? Did this list exist?

I think there might have been one on NA, but I'm not sure if it was ever completed. A lot of it was a work in progress.

Good luck finding it on that site, though. It's a complete mess and the search tool is basically broken.

Guests · Posted

Apparently I am in a flam war right not with Hammerfestus because he doesn't like the fact that I joined this site and then asked about the variants. He claims that I "whined" when I didn't get this request met. Let me be clear, further inquiry is not "whining" and if anyone doesn't like this discussion, then you can go to another one.

Guests · Posted

Relax tough guy, I don't know where you live. Wouldn't know you from Adam. But you gave the eye roll emoji and eye roll emoji = not a good idea. The option probably shouldn't be there. Nothing good to say? Then say nothing. I am trying to find information on NES carts. No clue why that offended you but you have gained a follower. I just want to be as cool as you. Sarcasm in case you didn't detect that.

Guests · Posted

Hey, he was offended because I was asking about variants and then followed up with it. That is what the emoji was meant to convey. I don't see that as "light social fun" when it was clearly meant as a slight. Maybe not eyeroll a post he doesn't like and just choose not to do anything at all? I like how you reprimand me and not him. He is not an innocent party in all of this. Following up is not "whining". I am trying to find information. I have been looking on my own. I am just asking others if they know anything. When the responses provided doesn't help, I think a follow up is called for. It is not "whining" as your friend Hammerfest has put it. But what do I know? 

Back on topic. If you are looking for a comprehensive resource with all variants for all NES games, I don't think that exists. At the very least, I've not seen it.

But, if you really want to know variants for a certain game, and can't find that info anywhere else. Sometimes your only option is going through ebay listings to look for those variants. That's what I did to find the Zelda variants.

Guests · Posted

Well, there is that. Just look at what is out there. But then there is the question of which one is the first one. Then I guess look up the info for the individual game. Then one has to hope that the information is available somewhere and that it is accurate.

26 minutes ago, Hyrules Plumber said:

Well, there is that. Just look at what is out there. But then there is the question of which one is the first one. Then I guess look up the info for the individual game. Then one has to hope that the information is available somewhere and that it is accurate.

Usually you can figure it out which one came first with context clues. If not, sometimes you can verify with date codes.

It's not like anyone's getting the info from Nintendo. Everything that's out there has been made through observation and educated guesses.

• Like 1

Like 3 people have spoken to me about starting their own resource. We are in a very weird time in game collecting with both greatly increased interest in variant minutia and an information vacuum where there hasn’t been a single good source to document it all for years. Due to the value of this information and advantage it gives you over other collectors, many people keep obscure information intentionally close to their chest. How many people truly cared about rare sticker sealed NES games 3 years ago, a dozen eccentrics on an online forum? Wata put out a For Dummies guide that someone who has never bought a video game can follow and now it’s the hottest shit on the planet.

There is a clear demand for this information but also it’s a small, niche hobby and probably hard to monetize the information for serious, young, internet savvy collectors like a stamp or coin catalog would. 99% of people are happy with free, basic online lists of games. I think a lot of us are waiting to see what the next big thing for serious collecting info is is this new game collecting world.

The more you research individual platforms, the more you know what to look for in terms of things that commonly change. On NES for example, the seal of quality goes from round to oval, carts go from 5 screw to 3 screw, TMs turn into Rs, hangtabs disappear, various date codes go up, etc. I just researched Myst variants and was able to put about a dozen variants into a likely chronological order just based on the fact that there is only one variant with an ESRB logo, which would make it the latest. All the other variants have just one or two little changes that happen over time. 

10 hours ago, Hyrules Plumber said:

Actually I can't find the one on NA. I think that is where I had the info before but I can't seem to find it any longer.

Yeah, GoCollect burned the entire place to the ground. Even if you found the thread, you can bet that the formatting (or lack thereof) has destroyed any chance of making sense of it.