IGNORED

What is everyone driving these days?

PuppyWaffles

2013 Silver Hyundai Accent. I bought it back in 2015. All I care about for my vehicles is reliability & good gas mileage, which this provides. Finally paid it off a year and a half ago. Only thing I'm a wee bit worried about is some rust, but otherwise haven't had a single issue with this thing *knocks on wood*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@PuppyWafflesWhat drew you to the Alfa Romero? There's been a huge surge of these cars around me lately I for the life of me I don't understand it. They're good looking cars don't get me wrong. I just think for the money there's options I'd choose first.

Why not get a Mercedes, BMW or (another) Porsche? 

21 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

@PuppyWafflesWhat drew you to the Alfa Romero? There's been a huge surge of these cars around me lately I for the life of me I don't understand it. They're good looking cars don't get me wrong. I just think for the money there's options I'd choose first.

After watching a lot of Top Gear my view of Alfa Romero is that they are a beautiful looking car but not one that you want to own.  Course this stigma could easily be gone but when ever I see one I think of that stigma that Top Gear gave me.  Given how they are constantly compaired with BMW makes me extra worried as that has the stigma of being a great car when it's not needing maintenance from being so finely engineered that when things are slight off/not working correctly everything gets fucked.  The one time where "German Engineering" has a bad connotation.  

BMW seem like the Mark 19.  I beast of a weapon but the high tolerances means that a little bit of grit and the whole thing becomes frustrating as fuck use/work correctly.  So much so that many gunners I talked with didn't want the weapon system in the Iraq theater.  Honestly the weapon system isn't meant for that kind of war environment too.  But if you want to destroy a vehicle it's the best weapon for the job if you can put rounds on the target.  The damn "bullets" have a flight patter like some football throws, it curves to the left as it travels.  The iron sights account for this but it's not the easiest thing to get on the first round.  It's very much a find where the impacts are and adjust to be on target.  .50 cal is like this too but not as bad.  This is why I always preferred the M240B.  I like to know that what I'm aiming at is exactly where rounds will land.  No walking shit in crap.

23 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

So after looking at four door sedans a few things came into play. I would have bought the Porsche in a heartbeat except the gas mileage kills that for me as a daily. I am not a Mercedes guy at all, everyone I know that has them hates them and I've never driven one I've liked. So then it came down to BMW, Audi, or Alfa. Audis are great cars, I've driven several, but the interior is way to cheap VW now. BMW was a bit faster, but the Alfa won me over for handling and looks. It's also the most comfortable of the choices I drove. The reason you are seeing a surge is because of the prices of these cars, they have dropped to sub 25k levels for a used one and it's honestly the best value for dollar on the market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FireHazard51 said:

After watching a lot of Top Gear my view of Alfa Romero is that they are a beautiful looking car but not one that you want to own. 

Older Alfas are not the best cars. I haven't had any issues with mine that were the cars fault. I've put 20k miles on it since April. Bought it with 30k on the odometer.

• Wow! 1

I traded the Grand Caravan (77 k miles) for a brand new Honda Oddesey and am super happy. Ran into issues with the caravan where a defect in the head was causing misfire conditions. My local mechanic advised me of this defect in 2016 caravans. After doing some research, it seems this is a relatively common issue with their 3.6 engine. I could have gambled and changed the plugs and coils for the tune of $600, but rather than risk that and chance a $3500 repair replacing the head in the near future, I just dumped it. 

The 2022 Oddesey is a little high tech for my liking, but it is a super nice van. I'll miss those stow and go seats, however...

I want to caution anyone driving a jeep/dodge/Chrysler vehicle 2016 or later with a 3.6 engine to look into that head issue and take action before it's too late. It seems that it kicks in at 70k miles on most complaints I've found online. 

• Thanks 1