IGNORED

Beat the SNES Library - 305/714

I beat Ogre Battle tonight.

My strategy was absolutely despicable and I think any Ogre Battle fan would have been shocked at what I did. Regardless, I powered through the last 6 stages today by just ram-assing straight for the enemy base and burning heals and revives and the 500 jokers I bought like an asshole.

I got rewarded with what looks to be the laziest and worst ending: The Tower Ending. Reputation nonexistent and charisma < 30. I couldn't even get the cool Devil ending since I never got anyone to agree to join me after the first 2 or 3 setpieces... Not even the Devil would join my team.

IMG_5808.jpg.83aa2ec5780fd2947b19d70989af6f3a.jpg

IMG_5813.jpg.30c84d4dea1349c1968968104c609ede.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Finished Brandish. 5/10

Wasn’t that into this one but I saw some potential here and am intrigued enough to play the second SNES game and maybe if I ever get into PSP the remake.

AAE60021-D151-451F-BC10-8CDA0ED4590B.jpeg

Welcome to the Brandish cult!

I want to replay this soon and take on the 2nd one at some point too

Now that I've had some time to ruminate on Lord of the Rings, I have to say, it wasn't that bad?

I used a walkthrough, which helped immensely. The biggest potential problem with the game is missing something early on and getting all the way to the gates of Moria and having to backtrack. Apparently there are glitches with the password system, but I never had to reset.

Frodo died a few times early on, but you keep your level and items when you respawn. All the other hobbits died quick, ignominious deaths right at the beginning, but once I had Aragorn, I never was in danger of having him and Gimli die. I even beat the Balrog on the first try, although only Frodo and Aragorn survived.

The mines of Moria are indeed a mess, but they are partitioned because of the locked doors, so it's actually not that bad to wander about and keep progressing. The Barrows are the place where it would have been a lot harder without a guide.

The gates of Moria did open without me having to do the gem thing that the walkthrough described. I don't know if it glitched out or I just misunderstood what you have to do.

Anyway, it's definitely beatable, but a blind playthrough would require careful mapping and exploration of all those caves in each section.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I believe I beat College Football USA 97

I selected 20 minute games, 1 game season, beat that team, then beat Tennessee in the Bowl Match. Is that good enough?

I don't know anything about football games and only the basics of football, so it seemed as incomprehensible as any other football game. All I did was press X over and over on every offensive play and it would pass to some guy at least one of the 4 downs, usually, and I could eventually get a TD and some 2 point conversions. I couldn't figure out how to punt or kick so all I did was pass.

On defense, I figured out that if you just didn't touch any buttons until well into the play, the CPU would often try to run or pass short and I could clobber him. The CPU turned over the ball to me a bunch just by doing that. He did get some 80 yard TDs, but not enough to beat me.

So, it seemed like an okay football game to me, but what do I know.

IMG_5900.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

• Haha 2

in case we ever get around to actually listing the super famicom games beaten, magic knight rayearth finished.

3/10

It’s just a really lame standard JRPG with too high of a random encounter rate yet no real difficulty, a not very good condensed retread of the anime for its story, and nothing in particular really going for it.

108B20E9-EDEE-4D39-BBAE-8E269A5A8537.jpeg

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I believe I beat College Football USA 97

I selected 20 minute games, 1 game season, beat that team, then beat Tennessee in the Bowl Match. Is that good enough?

I don't know anything about football games and only the basics of football, so it seemed as incomprehensible as any other football game. All I did was press X over and over on every offensive play and it would pass to some guy at least one of the 4 downs, usually, and I could eventually get a TD and some 2 point conversions. I couldn't figure out how to punt or kick so all I did was pass.

On defense, I figured out that if you just didn't touch any buttons until well into the play, the CPU would often try to run or pass short and I could clobber him. The CPU turned over the ball to me a bunch just by doing that. He did get some 80 yard TDs, but not enough to beat me.

So, it seemed like an okay football game to me, but what do I know.

"The best defense is to not press buttons" sums this game up very well 😂

Pro Quarterback

Two minute quarters, single game (only option) I continued my time-tested strategy of selecting a random play ("Quick Out"), but instead of pressing "X" over and over again, this time I hammered at "B." It connected surprisingly often and I had no problem continuing the first downs through passing.

The opp's offense was better here and I was forced to run randomly around the field while pressing B and Y like a zoo monkey to try to stop Cleveland.

Regardless, this was a pretty easy completion

IMG_5906.jpg

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
fixed game name
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another SFC beat in case we start tracking those: Parodius Da

I did a bunch of playthroughs with different characters on different difficulties and made sure to do one on default settings (difficulty 4, 2 lives in reserve) just so it officially counts for this thread, even though there are unlimited continues that bring you back the same place as when you lose a life normally. Difficulty 4 is manageable with continues but above that, the Gradius effect makes it hard to get back on your feet after losing your powerups.

parodius_da_small.jpg.6c9a0c121ef5aa96b505a7ccc4d6ff65.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat the SNES Library - 259/714
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...