IGNORED

Beat the SNES Library - 300/714

5 hours ago, tigerwolf said:

After many hours of painful grinding, neverending caverns, irritating status effects, and endless random encounters every 2-3 steps, I finally did it. 

I completed Inindo: Way of the Ninja. 

First time I've actually finished this game since the early 90's. There's not much to say about it that Reed hasn't already written. I'll just say that while I am fascinated by the ideas in this game, it took a great deal of willpower and stubbornness to force myself to complete this thing. 

I took a crap smartphone video of some of it. Couldn't be bothered to film the complete ending, but I might try to get better footage via the Retrotink to computer later. In any case, if you want to see how dull the ending is, check it out:

https://youtu.be/BzP5T1tlr74

Congrats! Inindo is really fun, but very long. Did you end up with the magician ending or the Oda ending? I may have to play it again soon.

Based on your username, you must be a fellow Koei fan 😀

On 11/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, Daniel_Doyce said:

Congrats! Inindo is really fun, but very long. Did you end up with the magician ending or the Oda ending? I may have to play it again soon.

Based on your username, you must be a fellow Koei fan 😀

I am most certainly a fellow Koei fan! A collector, even. I basically only buy Koei stuff these days, actually.

I got the easy ending, not the hard mode one. I used to think it was related to the intro image of Oda, but now I wonder if it's more related to the game time? Not sure if you know.

It was a bit easier to play with the Ascii Grip controller so I could play on my phone while grinding up my levels. In the 90s I used a Memory Controller so I could program Fight > Throw with a single button. This time I just played the old-fashioned way with a one-handed controller.

I think there's a reason this particular Koei game is rated more poorly than the rest of their catalog, even in Japan. Some great ideas in it, but overall it is super-flawed and unrelenting in its desire to be obtuse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tigerwolf said:

I am most certainly a fellow Koei fan! A collector, even. I basically only buy Koei stuff these days, actually.

I got the easy ending, not the hard mode one. I used to think it was related to the intro image of Oda, but now I wonder if it's more related to the game time? Not sure if you know.

It was a bit easier to play with the Ascii Grip controller so I could play on my phone while grinding up my levels. In the 90s I used a Memory Controller so I could program Fight > Throw with a single button. This time I just played the old-fashioned way with a one-handed controller.

I think there's a reason this particular Koei game is rated more poorly than the rest of their catalog, even in Japan. Some great ideas in it, but overall it is super-flawed and unrelenting in its desire to be obtuse.

Right at the beginning of the game, there's a cutscene, and I think either Oda is hurt or not, and that later determines whether the wizard dude shows up. I guess the easy ending is just Oda?

I beat Super Turrican on the default Normal difficulty.

@Reed Rothchild hasn't covered it yet on snesrankings.com which means he thinks it's in the top 100 SNES games. I think that's insane. The game is challenging, but not the good kind of challenge. It has "gotcha" level design. It tries to make up for it by hiding lots of extra lives but there's a timer so you don't have time to explore much. If you're running low on time and start taking some risks to try to make it, if you die, the timer doesn't reset. So if you weren't close enough to make it even by rushing, you lose another life when the timer runs out. It has that Euro design trope of collectables that do nothing except give you useless points.

And that autoscrolling train level near the end seems designed to make you waste all your lives and continues figuring out the correct timing for all the jumps so you have to play through the whole game again to get there.

It's also one of the few (the only?) game to have a game-breaking compatibility issue with 1chip model SNESes. Randomly the audio will hang and some time later the game will crash. It could happen on level 1, the last level, anywhere in between, or not at all. I stayed with my parents for Thanksgiving weekend and tried to soldier through it on my SNES jr I had brought but gave up and finished it today on my non-1chip SNES.

super_turrican_resized.jpg.4d63221ba0375b1603210e395e557055.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aerobiz Supersonic now complete! 

It's another classic Koei ending. That is to say... a slideshow of pictures. As much as I love Koei, they make the dullest endings in the history of gaming. 

I would've filmed the whole thing but my toddler was listening to Peppa Pig and squealing in the background. 

IMG_20211204_172032623.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, tigerwolf said:

Aerobiz Supersonic now complete! 

It's another classic Koei ending. That is to say... a slideshow of pictures. As much as I love Koei, they make the dullest endings in the history of gaming. 

I would've filmed the whole thing but my toddler was listening to Peppa Pig and squealing in the background.

That's adorable!  Makes me miss my nieces more!

Also, Aerobiz Supersonic is pretty fun, but terribly easy, almost disappointingly so.  Great place to start for a Koei noob though...which by the sounds of it you are not 😛

Bam Bam Bigelow and Bret Hart teamed up to win a Bedlam tournament in WWF Raw.  Goddamn the game is tough...a HUGE difficulty spike over Royal Rumble!

EDIT: Also, the win condition should be modified...only One on One, Tag Team and Bedlam have an actual tournament, while Royal Rumble and Survivor Series are both one-round finishes...and if we don't count the Royal Rumble in the RR game, why should it count here?

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 2

Just won Jeopardy! for the first time.  Kinda confusing when the AI picked my name right after I put my name in...you'd think there'd be a failsafe to avoid that happening, especially given how common my name actually is...but yeah, it's done.

Also, @Reed Rothchild, might be time for an update...there's a few games listed here that aren't scratched off yet, even before my own trifecta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat the SNES Library - 228/714

Just discovered something after watching a speedrun...on Harvest Moon, if you hold L, R, and select when going to sleep, instead of waking up the next day it automatically ends the game with the worst ending possible.  I don't know if you'd want to count this, but theoretically just sleeping 300ish times should get the same result, so if someone just wants to cross it off that's all that would need doing anyway.  Figured I'd mention it because a) I just executed it, so if you'd want to count it this way then we can cross the game off, and b) if you don't want to count it, then it's something that you need to be aware of so you can mark it in the notes.  I'm not feeling the game right now, but after seeing the game knocked off in 2:27, I had to try it out to see if it was possible.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed that MVP Football is listed twice on the master list. 

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap you are a SNES completion machine @the_wizard_666! I'm sure you'd run circles around me in this library, including the Koei games. I don't like challenges in my games, I like chilled out consistent progression. I've been trying to beat Aerobiz again, and it's certainly more annoying than Supersonic.

PS - enjoyed the Drunk Friend episode with you @Reed Rothchild. I'm with you on the wrestling games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tigerwolf said:

Holy crap you are a SNES completion machine @the_wizard_666! I'm sure you'd run circles around me in this library, including the Koei games. I don't like challenges in my games, I like chilled out consistent progression. I've been trying to beat Aerobiz again, and it's certainly more annoying than Supersonic.

PS - enjoyed the Drunk Friend episode with you @Reed Rothchild. I'm with you on the wrestling games.

I'm not that good, most of those games are super easy completions that anyone can do.  Star Trek was an old favourite so there wasn't any learning curve, and Flintstones was just long, and at times cheap, but definitely doable.  And the NHL games, at least the ones with season modes, technically only require one game to be played, as you can sim the entire season and then only play in the finals (although for '98 I beat the entire playoffs on principle).  And if you set the playoffs to single elimination at the start, you only have to win one game to win the Stanley Cup.

I'm looking at the list to see what I feel like playing...there's a few intriguing games, especially the Koei games, but I have zero experience on them at this point, as the ones I've beaten previously have also been beaten already, and the rest are new to me.  A lot of the games I'm looking at are either outside my skill set, or are going to require a bit of learning...or are games I've beaten in the past and don't really wanna play again 😛  I've run a few games since beating Flintstones, but nothing has really piqued my interest, so I'm not sure what I want to play at this point 😛

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm gonna say Harvest Moon falls under this general principal, even if it's a "feature"

Yeah, I thought as much.  Does that only cover the trick or does going to bed 300ish times without doing anything and getting the ending the "natural" way fall under that provision?

Sim Ant is done

SIM ANT IS DONE

Ok, here's the secret to beating the full game in a couple of hours. Your instinct is to destroy the red ant colony in the same starting square as you, but do NOT do that. In fact, do everything you can to keep it alive while also not getting to 100 population (and starting mating flights). That usually means doing Recruit All and hanging out on a corner of the map while you wait for the red ant population to build back up to around 401661873869_IMG_50662.jpg.0e8b245ff65b3daf40a014d8b253865a.jpg332720626_IMG_50692.jpg.5394d642959b7306ad21a96472e8be02.jpg or so. If it gets to 60, then start making more aggressive moves in terms of grabbing food to keep the red ants in check.

While you're doing that, focus on allocating enough breeding ants in order to both get the pop above 100 also with 20 winged ants, so mating flights will begin. Once that happens, you can sit back for a few hours and wait for your newly spawned colonies to take over all the empty squares. Then you can kill the red ant colony in the starting square and, finally, the other red colony that pops up.

If you kill the first red ant colony, another one will form and will RAPIDLY take over all empty space. Then I assume you need to fight it square by square. Just reset if this happens. You want that second red colony to form only when you've already taken over the map.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Beat the SNES Library - 235/714

Since this is an all-time list, if you want to include this my records indicate that I beat Mr. Nutz for SNES legitimately on April 6, 2014.

I also beat the Mega Drive version legitimately on March 12, 2014.

That year I started out by playing one console each month. January was NES, February was Sega Master System, March was Sega Genesis, April was Super Nintendo, May was Sega Saturn, June was Playstation and July was Nintendo 64, which was cut short due to my desire to finish the games I cut off for the previous systems just because the month changed.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, TheGameCollector said:

Since this is an all-time list, if you want to include this my records indicate that I beat Mr. Nutz for SNES legitimately on April 6, 2014.

I also beat the Mega Drive version legitimately on March 12, 2014.

That year I started out by playing one console each month. January was NES, February was Sega Master System, March was Sega Genesis, April was Super Nintendo, May was Sega Saturn, June was Playstation and July was Nintendo 64, which was cut short due to my desire to finish the games I cut off for the previous systems just because the month changed.

Hi, welcome aboard.

So, the full history is that this is an "all-time" list as of the creation of VGS.  As in all SNES completions since late 2019.

Before VGS we had all but a handful of the games completed.  And when we were doing annual resets we actual got 553 games completed in 2017 alone.

So I can't count your completions.  But we welcome you to the effort.  Momentum has been slower than it once was.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview5a51.html?catid=31&threadid=185273

Screenshot_20220106-093933.png