IGNORED

Beat the SNES Library - 305/714

On 1/6/2020 at 7:55 PM, Richardhead said:

Goof Troop

Another quick and easy one. Had fun with this game. The last puzzle was the most difficult part of this game. Had me scratching my head for a good 30 minutes.

D3AB94CF-50A7-4B8D-B1CC-5541B944B2A5.jpeg

D09F0FED-25B1-453E-A728-3C00B0BAFC85.jpeg

Love that game! Much more fun co-op. Makes item management easier too

• 2 weeks later...

I achieved highscores in all six games of the Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1. Although to be honest, some games didn't even have a highscore so I just got any score, while others required a little bit of effort, e.g. Centipede and Missile Command. I put all of these fotos into one collage hoping that this would be okay. I did not want to spam this therad with too many pictures.

Also, I've beaten Barbie Super Model. I am almost afraid to admit it, but I overlooked that you had to get the highscore and actually achieving it was somewhat difficult. I can't really tell all the different colors in the mini games apart and whenever I had a decent score I would mess up in level 3 or 4. This is an awful game and I feel sorry for every girl that got this back in the day. I'm also baffled why the developers bothered to put their names in the credits and how many people were actually responsible for this mess. What's even worse is that this got the Nintendo seal of approval.

Arcades Greatest Hits.jpg

Barbie Super Model.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends and Timon & Pumbaa's Jungle Games are done.

In the former game I did every mini game on every "difficulty" mode. It's a shame that this is yet another awful education game money grab. It could have been at least somewhat decent if they just hadn't thrown a ton of stupid ideas at the wall, figuratively speaking, but if they instead had focused on just a few ideas and developed them further with a bunch of content. Instead it feels pointless and soulless.

The latter game is just another collection of mini games, but this time without any pretense of being educational. On the other hand this is just good enough that I've been wondering why they had to focus on several ideas without making sure that any of them was really solid and great. The games are rather the poor man's version of other, better games. Anyway, I played any of those games and at least achieved some kind of score. I don't know if any of these games can be beaten though. I got to level 15 and 18 in two games, but they still just kept going until they were too difficult for me to continue.

Thomas the Tank Engine.jpg

Timon and Pumbaa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun and Mario's Early Years: Fun with Numbers are both done. I would say that these games are at least a bit more interesting than Thomas the Tank Engine and the presentation is relatively nice thanks to Mario and friends. They also do have a fair bit of clear sound samples and upbeat (Mario) music. However, the content is overall still very meagre and I can hardly imagine children learning much from these games. Maybe very young preschoolers up to the first year of elementary school? But then again I'm no expert in pedagogy. Anyway, I did every mini game in these games and only took one exemplary photo each. I couldn't stomach the final and third game in this series, which I will do later or leave to some other brave soul.

Space Invaders was just to quickly wash away the bitter taste of these edutainment games.

MEY Preschool Fun.jpg

MEY Fun With Numbers.jpg

Space Invaders.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Reed Rothchild Okay, I will try that game again. But it's really noticeably harder on normal, so I might take a while. Only got to level 7 so far.

In the meantime I have beaten Aero Fighters. I really like this one, but it's very difficult as well. This game might also be a good contender when people complain about shmups on the SNES not being fast enough etc.

Aero Fighters.jpg

Aero Fighters Code.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Phalanx again and this time I actually beat it on normal. Sorry for the mistake last time. This was noticeably harder and had me cursing and swearing now and then. But eventually I almost beat it with a single continue, but failed at the final boss. On the second continue I beat him with zero lives left and only one or two hit points. This game is somehow really difficult despite offering hit points and the occasional health replenishment. But it was overall still fun and the ending theme was really great and relaxing.

Phalanx Medium.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I was in the mood for fast-paced and good shooting action, which I didn't get by playing Raiden Trad on the SNES. I remember this game being fun on the Mega Drive/Genesis, so I was hoping for a good time on the SNES as well, but as soon as I saw that this port was done by Micronics I alreay got a bad feeling about this. And I was right. The masterminds behind impressive ports such as 1942, Ghosts 'n Goblins or Athena brought their A-game to this one as well delivering a port that is worse on almost every front. The screen is way too zoomed in yet it still has a lot of slowdown, sometimes almost slowing down to complete standstill. This may be the worst slowdown I have seen in a SNES game yet. Then there are the completely washed out colors and boring almost monochrome backgrounds in many parts. The only halfway good thing about this port is the music, which sounds quite good every now and then, but unfortunately the sound effects are too loud, so that I can rarely if ever hear the music. The only other upside to this port is that whenever you die you start at the same point where you died, which makes this version much, much easier. Thus I ended up beating it on the second try, but I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to this version.

Raiden Trad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1