IGNORED

Beat the SNES Library - 305/714

I have finally beaten Stunt Race FX. The Master Class was a horrible grind and super frustrating. First of all, this game plays af if you were constantly driving through mud with broken controls. I honestly had to doublecheck whether my Joycons were causing problems since they're often prone to drift issues. But no, it's this game! All inputs are somehow delayed and I found myself constantly drifting in one direction or another. Then there's the cheating AI which is not just rubberbanding like crazy, but seemingly also not affected by weather conditions and environmental hazards. They just drive on like normal while I'm losing speed and merely crawling forward. Of course, they then catch up and bump me into a rock or off a cliff or whatever. And I could go on about how weird the "halfpipes" were or how this game forces you to do precision steering, all while controlling horribly and with enemies that always follow right behind you waiting to knock you off the road etc. One major mistake like that and the level is already lost. Some games are not worth the nostalgia trip and should better remain a nice memory of the past.

Stunt Race FX.jpg

Stunt Race FX credits.jpg

• Thanks 1

Did a playoff run on John Madden Football with SF. Beat KC in the Super Bowl 42-21. Not bad for my first time ever playing this version.

Pretty weak ending though. Just shows some fireworks until you hit Start, then it's back to the main menu. Not even a "Congratulations" from Madden, he just keeps rambling about game strategies 😒

IMG_20191107_210749.jpg

IMG_20191107_210819.jpg

• Thanks 1

I beat the first loop of R type 3, not gonna try advanced mode. This is a very excellent game, an improvement on Super R Type in every way. Also some very impressive visuals and use of the mode 7 stuff. I watched a video by SNESDrunk where he says its harder than Super R type and it is absolutely not anywhere close lol Actually having checkpoints is an absolute godsend. The normal difficulty probably does require more memorization/skill but the margin of error is just so much bigger. The one nitpick that annoyed me in this game is the last boss will only die if you shoot your shield pod at it in its final form, which would be fine if they would indicate your other attacks are not doing damage, but actually it keeps flashing red as if you are hurting it. I might try beating the first loop again with the different pod types. 

Edited by Andykin Skysk8r
  • Thanks 1

Finished NHLPA Hockey '93. Got the "EA Cup" with San Jose (yeah, one of the worst teams in this game)

Best-of-seven playoffs, 10-minute periods, penalties on, line changes on.

I know people tend to love '94 the best, but this is the one I owned as a kid. Always love playing it.

IMG_20191111_214536.jpg

IMG_20191111_214551.jpg

Edited by cj_robot
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to ask what exactly the clearance condition for F-Zero is. It only says "Complete all Cups". Are there only the three default ones? And what about the difficulty? I have beaten these three both in beginner and standard difficulty so far. Is expert and master necessary as well? I've actually never played F-Zero before, so I'm not quite sure.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/3/2019 at 1:27 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Nice. I wasn't expecting this so soon though. Do Pal and Japanese games still count?

53 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I wanted to ask what exactly the clearance condition for F-Zero is. It only says "Complete all Cups". Are there only the three default ones? And what about the difficulty? I have beaten these three both in beginner and standard difficulty so far. Is expert and master necessary as well? I've actually never played F-Zero before, so I'm not quite sure.

What gives credits?

Stupid phone gave an extra quote

I haven't seen the credits yet, but according to some digging through longplays on Youtube there seem to be credits for the first time after beating the expert mode with the additional message to try master mode. I might give this a try later today or down this week unless someone else beats it first. Standard was already fairly challenging for me.

Edit: It seems like finishing any cup on Expert will show the credits, but also telling you to challenge Master.

F-Zero.jpg

F-Zero2.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Thanks 1

I finally beat Donkey Kong Country 3 and even got 103%! I've never played this game before, so I wanted to take my time and collect everything. Overall it was a really great game with amazing visuals and lots of variety. Though at times I felt they overdid it, because every single level seemed to have some kind of gimmick past a certain point.

DKC 3.jpg

DKC 3 rating.jpg

• Thanks 1

I beat Star Fox 2. I'm a bit conflicted about this game. On the one hand I am happy to have finally experiened this long lost game. On the other hand it does not feel like a full game. It took me almost 40 minutes to beat on my first try, which may be similar to how long one of the three branching paths in Star Fox 1 takes. But every one of those paths had several levels that were unique to this branch, giving the original some much needed replay value. Here however, there are only about a handful of enemies and then it pretty much repeats all over again until you meet the final boss and question yourself: "That's it? It's already over?". They had so many great ideas, many of which would be reused in later Star Fox games, but none of these ideas have been fully developed here, imho. Everything feels half-baked. Also, the free-roaming dogfighting in space is nice in theory, but doesn't fit too well here. It seems to me like they were way ahead of their time, but at the same time didn't have the time to fully realize all of their ideas. 

Star Fox 2.jpg

• Thanks 1

And Super Mario Kart is done too. I got gold in all cups in both 100c and 150cc. The latter took quite some time.

It's still a fun game, but I personally do not like the rubberbanding, which is quite strong in this game. Whenever I used a shortcut with the help of the feather or got a turbo boost, I could immediately see on the map how the CPU was catching up with insane speed. Also their constant use of items without picking up anything got pretty annoying in some races. I could do really well for the most part of the race, but if I did just one mistake in lap 4 or 5, the race was basically over. Whereas in newer games you can take the lead and build up some distance to the players behind you, so that even a blue shell can not necessarily get you off the first place.

Mario kart.jpg

Mario kart 150cc.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Thanks 1