IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Gradius 2

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wonder where @bertsampson is with his million point score?

I'm too lazy to watch a youtube video, but the rules say you have to take a picture of your high score after beating the game once, so there's going to be a realistic upper cap for this contest that might not be anywhere near 1 million...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm too lazy to watch a youtube video, but the rules say you have to take a picture of your high score after beating the game once, so there's going to be a realistic upper cap for this contest that might not be anywhere near 1 million...

1 million was just a random high number since I was thinking that a one loop score is in the 600k range, but it wouldn't be the first time he posted a score above what most people thought possible.

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

hopefully ill podium. with a small amount of luck i might win. but ti-83 and wampson gonna be right there with me. morphius might be bluffing. and perhaps a ringer or two show uo late.

@bertsampson didn't even post a score last week. I'm pulling for you buddy, but @Dr. Morbis will be tough to beat. 

Yeah, shooters are arguably @Dr. Morbis's best genre.  If he has any weaknesses, it's with sports games...and even then he's got a few games that he's top of the class in (Ice Hockey and Tecmo (Super) Bowl come to mind), so I wouldn't call it an all-out deficiency or anything.

That said, in most shooters he's a distance player, not a score chaser, and it's tough for him to switch.  Every time we play, he gets exponentially further than me, but I tend to have the high score long after I've gone game over, and I am flat out not good at shooters.  I would imagine his score is very much beatable by someone who has the skills to go the distance but is more inclined to take a few risks to take down as many ships as possible.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, shooters are arguably @Dr. Morbis's best genre.  If he has any weaknesses, it's with sports games...and even then he's got a few games that he's top of the class in (Ice Hockey and Tecmo (Super) Bowl come to mind), so I wouldn't call it an all-out deficiency or anything.

That said, in most shooters he's a distance player, not a score chaser, and it's tough for him to switch.  Every time we play, he gets exponentially further than me, but I tend to have the high score long after I've gone game over, and I am flat out not good at shooters.  I would imagine his score is very much beatable by someone who has the skills to go the distance but is more inclined to take a few risks to take down as many ships as possible.

Sports games were the only thing I could beat @rdrunner at back in the day although I could usually hold my own when it came to beat em ups. Tom was a guy that definitely didn't have any weaknesses.

@rdrunner is one of those crazy good gamers that are rightfully in the upper echelon of NES gaming.  @BeaIank fits there too, as should anyone who can no-death Ikari Warriors 😛  And I'd argue @Crabmaster2000 fits the bill as well...maybe he doesn't get the competitive scores that Tom does, or the insane feats that Bea does, but legitimately beating almost the entire library is a feat that shouldn't be ignored.  And frankly, I think everyone has at least one game they'll dominate the competition at any day of the week.  Mine would be The Punisher, as the past Weekly Contest I participated in shows...it's to the point that it's specifically left out when @Dr. Morbis challenges me to "any game in the collection" 😛

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

if you guys ever hear me jocking another gamer this hard please stop me.

14 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

if you guys ever hear me jocking another gamer this hard please stop me.

I'm speaking from actual experience firsthand.  He's an IRL friend.  We game together most weekends, and he's a VERY competitive dude IRL.  He's one of the best pure 8-bit gamers I know...of course, get him outside of his two-button world and he's almost completely lost 😛  Basically, I'm not basing my statements off of his scores posted, I'm basing it on firsthand experience playing with and against him in a variety of games, as well as watching him.

Also, don't use Bomberman in the contests if he's playing.  Trust me on this.

• Like 1