IGNORED

The 3DS Thread

2 hours ago, snes_collector said:

I'm really surprised at the prices of the shin mega tensei games right now, I just can't see those prices staying. I think I am almost finished with getting all the games I am interested in for the 3DS. I tried to grab them as they were clearanced out but slacked at the end. I am up to 112 games a may add around a dozen more. I suspect this system will be highly collection as will the vita

Yeah, I was SHOCKED when I looked those up the other day.  They're outrageous.  The whole SMT series has skyrocketed though and it's only going to go higher, I suspect. 

6 minutes ago, maxlords said:

The whole SMT series has skyrocketed though and it's only going to go higher, I suspect. 

More than $175 for a mass produced game from last generation? That seems almost impossible.

There is a ton of fair weather gamers that feel like they've missed these releases. They'll pump and dump them like they did with the rest of their games. 

24 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

More than $175 for a mass produced game from last generation? That seems almost impossible.

There is a ton of fair weather gamers that feel like they've missed these releases. They'll pump and dump them like they did with the rest of their games. 

Soul Hackers, most notably is the only English release of the game and likely to hold a higher value.  I looked a few weeks ago and Overclocked 1 & 2 were about $100 each, SMT IV, and SMT: Armageddon are also the only English releases, and were something like $150+ and $120 respectively.  I forget what Soul Hackers was. 

1 minute ago, maxlords said:

Soul Hackers, most notably is the only English release of the game and likely to hold a higher value.  I looked a few weeks ago and Overclocked 1 & 2 were about $100 each, SMT IV, and SMT: Armageddon are also the only English releases, and were something like $150+ and $120 respectively.  I forget what Soul Hackers was. 

I understand that they've he'se their value for weeks but over clocked 1&2 were on clearance for years. I've kept my eye on these games for years. There's no shortage of them, specifically for the older titles. I feel sincere pity for anyone playing the current price or buying these and thinking they'll be an investment at their current price. 

19 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I understand that they've he'se their value for weeks but over clocked 1&2 were on clearance for years. I've kept my eye on these games for years. There's no shortage of them, specifically for the older titles. I feel sincere pity for anyone playing the current price or buying these and thinking they'll be an investment at their current price. 

I just looked at the current rates for sealed, and I take it back.  You're absolutely correct and that's ridiculous.

PAL prices for these games are crazy as well. The only one I need is Soul Hackers which I purchased digitally on sale ealier this year and loved. I'll have to hold out hope for a more reasonably priced copy to surface or dig deeper than I'd like.

23 minutes ago, Makar said:

Just remember they could reprint any of these 3DS games at any moment if a company like GameStop determines it's worth it. 

Right. Videogameplus.ca reprinted a lot of DS carts right before Nintendo ended DS cart production. Has Nintendo ended 3DS cart production? I don’t remember seeing anything on it so I kind of expect it at some point. 

9 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

Right. Videogameplus.ca reprinted a lot of DS carts right before Nintendo ended DS cart production. Has Nintendo ended 3DS cart production? I don’t remember seeing anything on it so I kind of expect it at some point. 

Yea I remember that. Suddenly infinite space wasn't so rare anymore. I don't know about the cart production, but apparently people are still making games for the 3DS. Dungeon Runner and word herd just came out last month. Neither a physical release though, but still. The last time a 3ds game got a physical release was a year ago.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dungeon-runner-3ds/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wordherd-3ds/

Edited by Makar

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Yea I remember that. Suddenly infinite space wasn't so rare anymore. I don't know about the cart production, but apparently people are still making games for the 3DS. Dungeon Runner and word herd just came out last month. Neither a physical release though, but still. The last time a 3ds game got a physical release was a year ago.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/dungeon-runner-3ds/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wordherd-3ds/

That's how I got my copy of Infintie Space 🙂 

I'm all for reprints personally, even if it can bite you in the arse at time.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, Makar said:

This makes me wonder when we'll see Wii prices take off. It's still a relatively cheap system to collect for. Glad I got all the 3DS games I wanted when I had the chance, although I think it's only certain games taking off. Stuff like fire emblem is still cheaper than the original MSRP. Im really surprised with how cheap fire emblem echoes is. So maybe the train hasn't quite left the station just yet for the 3DS. 

Wii is also starting. Anyone seen what new copies of the non Nintendo Selects version of Mario Galaxy is bringing? 

I tried posting this above the quote, but it messed up the formatting...

with Atoii Collection still releasing I guess they couldn’t have ended cart production. Normally this is something that we hear about before it actually ends. With that said, I do expect we will see some reprints, though with Covid and the fact that 3DS can still sell titles via digital distribution, it may cause Developers not to bother??? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by DeuceGamer

26 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

GameStop has that power? I'm surprised they don't just order a reprint and sell them all at a mark up. Would be a dickish move but GameStop has done similar things in the past. And if people are willing to pay $140, why not?

They've done it for the Wii a ton of times. Most notably Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy

E: I don't think it's a dick move tho on the publishers end. I'm sure atlus has the means to get a decent sized print run for all the SMT games, package some sticker and a CD in a cardboard sleeve and sell them for $70-80 each. Seems like a no brainer from a business prospective. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

GameStop has that power? I'm surprised they don't just order a reprint and sell them all at a mark up. Would be a dickish move but GameStop has done similar things in the past. And if people are willing to pay $140, why not?

Oh yes. That's exactly what they did years ago with xenoblade on the wii and people were livid. At one point xenoblade was going for over $100. They ordered 1 new copy for every GameStop store. Then they opened them all up and marked them as pre-owned. That way they didn't have to stick to the $49.99 MSRP price and could instead charge $99.99 pre owned. It was super shady and pissed off a ton of people. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

Wii is also starting. Anyone seen what new copies of the non Nintendo Selects version of Mario Galaxy is bringing? 

I tried posting this above the quote, but it messed up the formatting...

with Atoii Collection still releasing I guess they couldn’t have ended cart production. Normally this is something that we hear about before it actually ends. With that said, I do expect we will see some reprints, though with Covid and the fact that 3DS can still sell titles via digital distribution, it may cause Developers not to bother??? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

$125 brand new does seem a little crazy but not insane in the grand scheme of things. If that was the price used, that'd be insane. 

I'd be shocked if some 3DS game does not end up getting reprinted. If there's money to be made and someone wants it, a 3DS game(s) will be reprinted.

21 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

I should have clarified. By dick move I mean either opening games to sell at pre-owned prices or selling new games at a mark up, well, because they can.

There's no way you could order a company to make you a new batch of a game and that game not be new. Unless of course you open them all up. So yes, super dick move by GameStop.

1 hour ago, Makar said:

$125 brand new does seem a little crazy but not insane in the grand scheme of things. If that was the price used, that'd be insane. 

I'd be shocked if some 3DS game does not end up getting reprinted. If there's money to be made and someone wants it, a 3DS game(s) will be reprinted.

Yea, I just think it’s a sign that Wii is starting to increase. Games like Twilight Princess will probably follow suit soon.

I kind of expect a reprint of 3DS titles and definitely would hold off on buying titles over MSRP, but I can see Publishers just decide to go with offering titles digitally also. May depend on how much longer Nintendo will keep open 3DS cart manufacturing.

32 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

Yea, I just think it’s a sign that Wii is starting to increase. Games like Twilight Princess will probably follow suit soon.

I kind of expect a reprint of 3DS titles and definitely would hold off on buying titles over MSRP, but I can see Publishers just decide to go with offering titles digitally also. May depend on how much longer Nintendo will keep open 3DS cart manufacturing.

Yea you could be on to something. I haven't looked up fire emblem radiant dawn but I imagine that's creeping up there in price. 

For 3DS reprints, just remember infinite space on the DS was released in 2009, and it was reprinted in 2016. The last DS game was made in 2014.  I would not be surprised if you see some 3DS reprints over the next 1-3 years.

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/04/22/infinite-space-getting-a-reprint-by-canadian-retailer/

Edited by Makar

3 hours ago, Makar said:

Yea you could be on to something. I haven't looked up fire emblem radiant dawn but I imagine that's creeping up there in price. 

For 3DS reprints, just remember infinite space on the DS was released in 2009, and it was reprinted in 2016. The last DS game was made in 2014.  I would not be surprised if you see some 3DS reprints over the next 1-3 years.

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/04/22/infinite-space-getting-a-reprint-by-canadian-retailer/

Also Digital Devil Saga for the PS2 was reprinted and I even believe Persona 4 for the PS2. There was also the case of Odin Sphere PS2 reprint which crashed the prices of that game, then they did a HD version to add salt to the wound haha.

It's hard to tell if they will reprint a game but some of these Atlus games do have a track record, I wouldn't be paying those crazy prices. I'm glad I purchased them all on release though, but that's because I'm a fan of SMT and pretty much any Atlus game.

5 hours ago, Makar said:

If Nintendo keeps open 3DS cart manufacturing for 3 more years, then I think it’s a done deal and we will absolutely get reprints. I wonder though if Nintendo may end cart production sooner than that though. My understanding is Switch uses a different technology and that may lead to Nintendo deciding they can end 3DS cart production sooner. If it’s around in 3 years (even 18 months) then absolutely we will get reprints.

4 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

I wonder though if Nintendo may end cart production sooner than that though.

They've restocked new 3DS XL and 2DS XL on store.nintendo which is a good sign they're still supporting the system. The games are largely back in stock as well. 

3 years might be a stretch but seeing as LRG is doing a release I would say 18 months is pretty realistic. I really wouldn't be surprised if publishers like atlus and square put in some final runs. Square is known for always having stock of their past gen games. Im pretty sure I got Chrono Trigger DS new on Black Friday in 2016 from their website. 

Eh I think reprints would be a great thing for people who care about the stuff as an actual game.  The only person at all being harmed is the speculator, and that's their issue.  I hope they do keep a line of 3DS games trickling out, and if more happen in reprints, especially on qualified in demand stuff people would buy to use, not just for speculation purpose stuff that would be fantastic.  I get Switch is it, and it's an amazing handheld/console hybrid, but the 3DS/2DS had years of mostly great service, not as consistent as DS was, but hey, it supports that too so it opens a huge door for lots of choice in one system at an attractive price if someone did stuff out more re-runs.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:17 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

They've restocked new 3DS XL and 2DS XL on store.nintendo which is a good sign they're still supporting the system. The games are largely back in stock as well. 

3 years might be a stretch but seeing as LRG is doing a release I would say 18 months is pretty realistic. I really wouldn't be surprised if publishers like atlus and square put in some final runs. Square is known for always having stock of their past gen games. Im pretty sure I got Chrono Trigger DS new on Black Friday in 2016 from their website. 

No doubt if cart production remains for 18 months we will see reprints and I agree with both Atlus and Square being likely candidates. It all comes down to when Nintendo decides to move on I guess.

Chrono Trigger and all of the DQ DS games had a reprint during that 2016 BF sale you mention. I picked up some of each for very cheap. In the long run those reprints didn’t really keep the prices low, I guess due to the lower overall sales and reprint size.